Main Menu

Lockheed Lightning cargos

Started by Tophe, October 02, 2022, 10:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

I am waking up in the middle of the night, and (on this side of the planet), it is November 01st, 01:46am. So I am starting to draw... :unsure:  <_<
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

Here is the first cargo basis.
From the P-38 vectorial parts I had: changing the total vision canopy into an integrated one, moving the pod for a high wing no more middle wing, and moving it forward, in front of the wing, lengthening backward this pod for the cargo load, add a loading door on the rear.
Next I will improve the tail, as scheduled.

It is the XCP-38G because in the past uears I took CP-38A to F for canard Lightnings.

Tophe

On the YCP-38G, the Pi-tail eases the loading: <_<

Tophe

On the mass-produced CP-38G, the rear access was even better even if solidity was a little worse:  :-\

Tophe

Tophe

without rear stabilizer, here are steps 2a-2b-2c (XCP-38H, YCP-38H, CP-38H), faster:

= link http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/P38_persp_L_bw.jpg
But before steps 3abc, there will be a step 2a'b'c, ' because after letter H there is no I that could be misunderstood for 1, so this will be J and J could be for jets, yes! ;)

Tophe

The 2a'b'c' (XCP-38J, YCP-38J, CP-38J) evolution was very bad as discarding the twin-boom layout! :angry:

= link http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/P38_persp_L_bx.jpg

Tophe

For the next step, with a low wing coming back, I must explain the landing gear issue.
To have the cargo load going under the tailplane, at the very first step, the wing (and tail) needed to be high, but this would have needed long and fragile undercarriage from the wing (or engines/booms), so the rear wheels were on the fuselage as shown below, not very stable:

To show the wheels, not hidden by the booms, I needed slim booms, so this is a new sub-version CP-38G-20.

Tophe

Here is the low-wing cargo Lightning CP-38K, with contra-rotating propellers to decrease the propeller blade length with enough ground guard without requiring long undercarriage legs: <_<

Tophe

The CP-38K-10 (here in flight) is the same but with more normal booms for a P-38. There is also a little change with extra canard foreplanes making it a triplex-boomer (according to me, 65th definition of twin-boom...): <_<

Tophe

Tophe

:-\  Ahem, the triplex above was, detailed, the way to reach step 3a, so next will be 3b-c-d, with a new d maybe as 4-engined one like Captain Canada"s (thanks)... <_<

Tophe

Finally step 3b is explained as XCP-38K, feasibility prototype to check if the low wing is possible there.
This is a very very whif asymmetric cargo with high wing on the port side and low wing on the starboard side. The psychiatrist checked and concluded this designer is OK, almost. <_<

Tophe

Step 3c (YCP-38K) was even more asymmetric, yes this was possible  ;D . The unbalance problem was cured by removing one engine, as top speed was not the goal there: <_<

Tophe

Step 3d was coded XCP-38CC for an unknown reason. Was there a Captain Canada Senior Copyright 70 years ago?  :unsure: