DONE (pics+story @p.5) +++ H0 Scale CFL Class 3800 locomotive

Started by Dizzyfugu, October 04, 2022, 01:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

It's early, but since my project was greenlit by the powers-that-be I'll add a thread for this. Plan is to "kitbash" a fictional and functional H0 scale model railroad locomotive on the basis of a separate motorized metal chassis (Märklin), outfitted with a modified body donor, becoming a light multi-purpose electric locomotive operated by the Chemins de Fer Luxenbourgeois (CFL) during the Seventies/Eighties. I have a vision for the thing, but we'll have to see if it's feasible and how it eventually turns out.  :angel:

Tophe

I'm not expert at all about trains, but that project sounds good. :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Dizzyfugu

Well, some time ago I already did a H0 scale locomotive conversion, so it's not a cold start in this case. But this was "only" a paint variation, together with some minor cosmetic hardware changes. This here will be a bit more ambitious, due to the mix of unrelated parts and the fact that it will have pantographs, too, though not functional ones (even though this would be technically possible with extra parts, but this would be pretty expensive and more than I'd want to invest into the project). We'll see.  <_<

I am also considering other projects for this GB. One could become a kitbashed small transport aircraft that I have configured in the back of my mind for several years, and I have to check if I can twist a mecha model to fit into the GB's framework.

jcf

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on October 07, 2022, 12:00:00 AM... twist a mecha model to fit into the GB's framework.
A mecha with a big basket on its back carrying mecha spare parts. 

Or perhaps towing a cart.  ;D

kerick

Quote from: jcf on October 07, 2022, 12:41:22 PM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on October 07, 2022, 12:00:00 AM... twist a mecha model to fit into the GB's framework.
A mecha with a big basket on its back carrying mecha spare parts.

Or perhaps towing a cart.  ;D

Thank heavens for that fellow the cart seems to be loaded with brooms and baskets!

Hmmmm........ mecha mules...... or just a jacka$$?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

How about a four, or more, legged walking truck?

1/32 prime mover and trailer kit combined with the legs from 1/144 Zakus.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

jcf

QuoteHow about a four, or more, legged walking truck?

1/32 prime mover and trailer kit combined with the legs from 1/144 Zakus.
Something along the lines of Syd Mead's walking trucks?
You cannot view this attachment.

Then there was the GE Walking Truck, where the operator's movements were duplicated by the machine using
hydraulics and direct linkage. 
Think Pacific Rim.  ;D

GE Mosher Walking Truck

zenrat

Did Syd Mead have anything to do with Star Wars?  I think there is some of his walking truck dna in AT-ATs.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on October 11, 2022, 02:48:17 AMDid Syd Mead have anything to do with Star Wars?  I think there is some of his walking truck dna in AT-ATs.

Here, Fred!

from "Den of Geek"
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Fred

Dizzyfugu

Well, coming back to the subject, things are becoming more and more concrete as I collect ingredients, including proper paint and decals. I also decided to procure a set of new/better/functional pantographs in China, I hope they arrive in time early in November.  :angel:

Dizzyfugu

Not finished yet, but the pantographs arrived just in time.  :lol:

Dizzyfugu

There's still another finished interim project on the bench waiting for pictures, but then things will start moving here.

Dizzyfugu

After some unexpected delay, first signs of life from this project: the m,ajor ingredients so far, with no guarantee that the plan actually works!

H0 scale "3804" (Class 3800) of the Société Nationale des Chemins de Fer Luxembourgeois (CFL; Luxembourg National Railway Company), 1991 (What-if/scratch-built)
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Dizzyfugu

Nothing to show yet, but I organized a pair of OEM lightbulbs for the chassis because they were missing when I bought it.