Other modeller's attitudes to Whiffing

Started by PR19_Kit, October 21, 2022, 07:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

I've found if I'm building something which is not exactly out there but doesn't even come close to something which did exist I tend to just let my mind go off and see what happens .
As for aircraft I've never been one to worry about matching serial numbers or squadron codes mainly cause ive got very bored going over and over trying to find what I wanted my mind to find but the RW won't let me..so bugger it ..just go for it and see what happens  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 19, 2023, 01:00:25 AMYeah that's got me thinking now  ;D  ;D

My task is complete  ;)  ;D

Nah, seriously, thanks for that  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 19, 2023, 01:29:36 AMMy current build, the Avro Mancaster (Btw, I'm thinking of changing the name to Winchester ... Any objections? :unsure: )

It's your model  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 19, 2023, 06:32:28 AM
Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 19, 2023, 01:00:25 AMYeah that's got me thinking now  ;D  ;D

My task is complete  ;)  ;D

Nah, seriously, thanks for that  :thumbsup:
Would seem mine is done aswell 🙃
And ya most welcome mate 👍

The Avro Winchester definitely sounds better Guy..do that one  ;D
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

jcf

In regards to the fellow and the Mirage, based on what was related, it seems to be that in his mind "What If" = "counterfactual". The two can be the same thing, but it depends on context. 

Which could be stated as:
"All counterfactual histories are What If but not all What Ifs are counterfactual history."
;D

DogfighterZen

Quote from: jcf on April 21, 2023, 12:53:20 PMIn regards to the fellow and the Mirage, based on what was related, it seems to be that in his mind "What If" = "counterfactual". The two can be the same thing, but it depends on context.

"All counterfactual histories are What If but not all What Ifs are counterfactual history."
;D

I think he believes what-ifs are only acceptable if there's any historical reference of the subject in question. The PoAF had the Mirage IIIEPL on order but the French government backed out of the deal under pressure from the Senegalese, with whom the French also had good relations and didn't like the idea of the Portuguese having such fighters.
That's something he can live with but he doesn't consider anything else a proper what if so. his loss...  ;D
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

jcf

Quote from: DogfighterZen on April 21, 2023, 01:07:29 PM
Quote from: jcf on April 21, 2023, 12:53:20 PMIn regards to the fellow and the Mirage, based on what was related, it seems to be that in his mind "What If" = "counterfactual". The two can be the same thing, but it depends on context.

;D

I think he believes what-ifs are only acceptable if there's any historical reference of the subject in question. The PoAF had the Mirage IIIEPL on order but the French government backed out of the deal under pressure from the Senegalese, with whom the French also had good relations and didn't like the idea of the Portuguese having such fighters.
That's something he can live with but he doesn't consider anything else a proper what if so. his loss...  ;D
The knock-on effect of changes, often minor changes, in the timeline of events of real world history is the entire point of counterfactual history, it's a relatively strict form of thought exercise. The What-If? books are a good example of the form and would seem to be his benchmark.

DogfighterZen

Quote from: jcf on April 23, 2023, 08:10:18 AM
Quote from: DogfighterZen on April 21, 2023, 01:07:29 PM

;D

The knock-on effect of changes, often minor changes, in the timeline of events of real world history is the entire point of counterfactual history, it's a relatively strict form of thought exercise. The What-If? books are a good example of the form and would seem to be his benchmark.

Yep, that's what it seems. It's his choice but he still has to understand that there are no rules for what-ifs in general. Imagine if he saw Ericr's kitbashes... he'd probably freak out... ;D
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Wardukw

Zen mate this dude would probably freak out if he saw half the builds on here 😂
Oh just think how'd he react to Tophe's builds 🤣

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 23, 2023, 01:35:15 PMZen mate this dude would probably freak out if he saw half the builds on here 😂
Oh just think how'd he react to Tophe's builds 🤣

Exactly! But again, it's his loss. What a boring place the world would be if we all did everything the same way...
There will always be JMNs and most of them can't be bothered to see what's beyond their own nose so, that's why i normally don't waste my time with them but, i took this opportunity to say some things "in public" that offered one insider's perspective of what What-if modelling is about, and hopefully made someone think a bit more about the freedom and fun we can have with this hobby that is the art of scale modelling... The only rule is that there are no rules... the only limit is your imagination and what your abilities allow you to materialize.

jcf

It can get bizarre, I was acquainted with a person who disdained science fiction and fantasy but loved Harry Turtledove.
:o

Wardukw

Like a person who only smokes cannabis but not normal cigarettes.
In our world, our imaginations are far above those of JMNs because of the simple fact that we haven't restricted our minds to just one form of model building.
We've all done OTB builds and we've all gotten bored with the run of the mill box of bits which turns into what's on the box top .
If a JMN can't open their mind enough to see past their own stupidity then that's their problem ..personally I also think its a lack of talent or skill that they don't have and we do .
We will free our minds and our arses will follow as a result..they can remain puckered if they want because they are missing out on a world full of so much fun and imagination it will blow most people's minds.
We've all seen great builds from their world ..some amazing ones in fact and the best I've ever seen have all been from the wonderful world of wiff.
I've seen some Steam Punk builds which stagger the mind with how complicated they are and the incredible skill the builder has shown ..wiffy world gents .
The simple fact is ..we're better than them and they can bite me if they don't like it  ;D  :wacko:

Weaver

Quote from: jcf on April 23, 2023, 08:05:08 PMIt can get bizarre, I was acquainted with a person who disdained science fiction and fantasy but loved Harry Turtledove.

Off-topic, but I know somebody who is not only an aircraft enthusiast and model maker, but actually FLEW jet fighters back in the day. He can go on forever about the aesthetics and flying characteristics of this or that military aeroplane, but he has ZERO interest in anything 'operational', like weapons, tactics or combat capability comparisons between types, and will shut down any attempt to discuss them with him instantly. It isn't a PTSD thing either: he never saw combat, he just doesn't want to think about that stuff.

It's remarkable how some people can compartmentalize.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 23, 2023, 08:35:33 PM...We've all seen great builds from their world ..some amazing ones in fact and the best I've ever seen have all been from the wonderful world of wiff.
I've seen some Steam Punk builds which stagger the mind with how complicated they are and the incredible skill the builder has shown...

My favourite builds ever in the whole wide world are the sculptures of Kris Kuski.

I was initially drawn in by his Churchtanks but there is so much more and I could just spend hours being drawn into the detail.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: jcf on April 23, 2023, 08:05:08 PMIt can get bizarre, I was acquainted with a person who disdained science fiction and fantasy but loved Harry Turtledove.

Sometimes you have to laugh, or otherwise ?  ;D

Quote from: DogfighterZen on April 23, 2023, 07:39:49 PMExactly! But again, it's his loss. What a boring place the world would be if we all did everything the same way...

Absolutely the way to look at it