Convair Tradewind turbofan amphibious variant FINISHED

Started by McColm, October 22, 2022, 05:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

The  Revell Convair Tradewind kit  seems to appeal to me for this group build. Originally conceived as a passenger and cargo flying boat. I'll lose the passengers and stay with the cargo for this logistics build.
The engines will change, probably turbojets as I need the propellers for another build.

Captain Canada

Sounds good. Flying boats are always cool.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

sandiego89

Quote from: McColm on October 22, 2022, 05:43:25 PMThe engines will change......

That is probably for the best as the T-40 was not really successful in any application it was put in - mating two early gas turbines in mash up to get the required power was a stretch too far, but those contra-props did look great.   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Tophe

Quote from: McColm on October 22, 2022, 05:43:25 PMas a passenger and cargo flying boat. I'll lose the passengers and stay with the cargo for this logistics build.
The engines will change, probably turbojets
It is surprising to use jets (like for great speed) on a cargo plane, which has rarely urgency to face, but this is very what-if if not logical (and yes, I know, the number of cargo jets is much more than zero in the RW), I just try to imagine a surprizing backstory to justify such a choice there.
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on October 23, 2022, 06:18:58 PMThat is probably for the best as the T-40 was not really successful in any application it was put in - mating two early gas turbines in mash up to get the required power was a stretch too far, but those contra-props did look great.   

But the T-40 SOUNDS so good, even as it's chewing itself to bits inside.

It's easier to find sound tracks of a C-133 than a Tradewind, but if you do so it's worth a listen.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: sandiego89 on October 23, 2022, 06:18:58 PMThat is probably for the best as the T-40 was not really successful in any application it was put in - mating two early gas turbines in mash up to get the required power was a stretch too far, but those contra-props did look great.   

Well, there are successful application of this concept, though. The Soviet Kuznetsov NK-12 turboprop engines (used, among others, for the Tu-95 which still flies today, and based on German WWII designs!) are of similar concept and have an output of 15,000 PS (15,000 hp; 11,000 kW).

McColm

Has anyone built the 1/72 Convair Tradewind kit?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on October 24, 2022, 05:15:46 AMHas anyone built the 1/72 Convair Tradewind kit?

Hell yes, but I was 12 or 13 at the time, and can't remember it much. It did look very smart painted as an RAF Coastal Command aircraft though.  ;D

I'll have to change my  'tag-line to 'Whiffing since the 50s', I'd forgotten about the RAF Tradewind!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 24, 2022, 06:28:19 AM
Quote from: McColm on October 24, 2022, 05:15:46 AMHas anyone built the 1/72 Convair Tradewind kit?

Hell yes, but I was 12 or 13 at the time, and can't remember it much. It did look very smart painted as an RAF Coastal Command aircraft though.  ;D

I'll have to change my  'tag-line to 'Whiffing since the 50s', I'd forgotten about the RAF Tradewind!

:o   Which 1/72 Tradewind??  A very early vac-form ? I am aware of only the  small scale Revell one till  recently.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

kitnut617

Quote from: loupgarou on October 24, 2022, 08:29:01 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 24, 2022, 06:28:19 AM

:o   Which 1/72 Tradewind??  A very early vac-form ? I am aware of only the  small scale Revell one till  recently.

The only injection 1/72 Tradewind has been the AModel kit, but there's two vacuform kits, Combat Models and O'Neill Vacuforms
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

Looking at a kit review page, it appears to be made in the normal AModel method for their large kits, with the fuselage and wing, pre-built out of fibreglass/resin. The rest of it is injection and some vacuform bits.

https://air.scale-model-kits.com/products/Convair-R3Y-2-Tradewind-AMO72037.html

Like this An-22 I have.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: loupgarou on October 24, 2022, 08:29:01 AM:o   Which 1/72 Tradewind??  A very early vac-form ? I am aware of only the  small scale Revell one till  recently.

Ah, my mistake, sorry. :(

The one I did back then was obviously the 'fit the box' Revell kit. I built it while in RAF Halton Hospital having bits chopped out of me. :(

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

I've got a Combat Models Tradewind vacuform too, which is up for sale   ;)

McColm

Quote from: kitnut617 on October 24, 2022, 09:29:17 AMI've got a Combat Models Tradewind vacuform too, which is up for sale   ;)
How much is the selling price?