Para-Martin A-26P Reduaram

Started by UhuFin, October 23, 2022, 04:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UhuFin

Para-Martin A-26P Reduaram

The Martin B-26 Marauder was an American bomber from World War II. Even before the first prototype, the USAF, enthusiastic about the bomber's plans, had ordered a batch of more than a thousand planes from the Glenn L. Martin Company. The first flight of the prototype was in November 1940 and the first deliveries to the USAF in February 1941. Just a couple of months later, the Marauder was grounded due to several accidents caused by several design errors.

At Glenn L. Martin Company, panicked, they thought about how to save the order of over thousand bombers and prevent closing the factory. In distress, the company's management contacted Dr. Fritz Paraman at his hideout in Iceland. As a German mad scientist, he had already moved out of Germany before the war in order to provide aeronautical consulting to all parties to the war.

Dr. Paraman gave the Glenn L. Martin Company a suggestion to modify the Marauder into an attack aircraft and tank destroyer by mounting a 3" anti-tank gun in the nose. The doctor also suggested turning the plane around to make it a canard-type aircraft and perhaps a bit faster. The Martin Company took this advice and the required modifications were made for one of the production aircraft.The new Para-Martin A-26P Reduaram made its maiden flight in June 1941 and proved to be a major disappointment.

The Reduaram was slower than the original Marauder and firing the cannon almost stopped the plane in the air. At the end of the third test flight, during landing, Reduaram's landing gear failed. The Martin Company concluded from this that the fault lies in the wing loading and weak landing gear. These defects were soon corrected in the Marauders, and their grounding was lifted. Reduaram was also repaired, but it ended up in storage for a long time.

However, it was excavated in 1944 for Operation Overlord. On the first sortie, it destroyed one German tank, but a cannon shot caused it to stall and so it crashed. Dr. Paraman never got to see his creation in flight, but he doesn't want to admit that he had anything to do with Reduaram.

But actually it is a 1/72 B-26 Marauder from an old Matchbox kit turned around  ;D The cannon is from 1/100 IS-3 Zvezda kit

PR19_Kit

VERY inventive thinking.  ;D

You'll fit right in here, no problem.  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Well, if you're going to commit indignities to a B-26 Marauder, this is the type of indignity to commit! :o  :wacko:

Another good job, UhuFin! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Captain Canada

This is just crazy ! Very imaginative, never seen anything like it ! Great stuff and great build. Thanks for sharing !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

UhuFin

McColm

I've always wanted to build something similar to this but didn't know to go about it. Great work  :thumbsup:

kitbasher

Mad!  The in build pics make it look like a shapelier FW42 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focke-Wulf_Fw_42).

Maybe 'Canardise it!' could be a 2023 GB theme?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Wardukw

Bloody hell what were you smoking when you came up with this ??
What ever it was it worked ..epic build man  ;D
It's weird as hell ..it's backwards and forwards at the same time and beautifully painted..love it  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

That's as mad as a March Hare but absolutely brilliant  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

comrade harps

Well, that made my eyes dilate.  :thumbsup:
Whatever.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 24, 2022, 06:16:13 AMThat's as mad as a March Hare but absolutely brilliant  :bow:

And totally bonkers too.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Wild. There actually was a similar layout for a B-26 successor (maybe one of the early XB-33 designs with just two engines, but I am uncertain) with canard wings, but IIRC it even had twin booms with fins on each.

UhuFin

Thanks, mates! :lol:
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on October 24, 2022, 07:21:26 AMWild. There actually was a similar layout for a B-26 successor (maybe one of the early XB-33 designs with just two engines, but I am uncertain) with canard wings, but IIRC it even had twin booms with fins on each.

I had to check that and holy cow that is funny looking viggenized Marauder XD

It's Martin Model 189 XB-33