Savoia Marchetti SM-82 Libyan Clipper. Finished pics pg 5.

Started by zenrat, October 29, 2022, 04:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 01, 2023, 06:11:04 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on February 01, 2023, 06:03:53 AMMust admit I've a weakness for most things Italian.

I'm sure you do, Chris! :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:

Barolo, Bardolino, Chianti, Frascati, Gambarella, Soave,  Valpolystrippa Valpolicella,  Sophia Lauren,  Claudia Cardinale  and no doubt several other Italians too.  I suspect that linguini and cutoletta Milanese  might possibly hit the list too.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

Quote from: Flyer on February 01, 2023, 04:50:23 AM
Quote from: zenrat on February 01, 2023, 03:37:32 AMI have a weakness for Italian trimotors.  I've already built an SM-81 and have an SM-79 and a Z.1007 in the stash.

Single or twin fin? Or does the kit supply both options? I prefer the twin fin version but if the kit has the option for either I'd be tempted to make it a triple fin. ;D

Twin.  Supermodel released separate kits of the two subtypes.

I may have found and ordered a Z.506 on evil-bay last night.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Flyer

Nice! Three engines and floats, that may be a good addition  ;D

Italian designer's in the 30's and 40's seemed to have had a good eye for proportions, I cannot think of an aircraft by them in that era that I don't like the look of. They may have been slightly underpowered and/or light on armament but they looked good.
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

Old Wombat

Quote from: Flyer on February 02, 2023, 05:10:59 AMItalian designer's in the 30's and 40's seemed to have had a good eye for proportions, I cannot think of an aircraft by them in that era that I don't like the look of. They may have been slightly underpowered and/or light on armament but they looked good.

Always an important consideration for Italian designers: Looks, then Function! :wacko:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Pellson

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 02, 2023, 06:32:09 AM
Quote from: Flyer on February 02, 2023, 05:10:59 AMItalian designer's in the 30's and 40's seemed to have had a good eye for proportions, I cannot think of an aircraft by them in that era that I don't like the look of. They may have been slightly underpowered and/or light on armament but they looked good.

As an ex-Alfa Romeo owner, I'm inclined to agree. That said, the Alfas were always much loved.  :wub:

Always an important consideration for Italian designers: Looks, then Function! :wacko:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

zenrat

Cleared her today.  Should get the transfers on tomorrow.
Painting of fiddley bits progressing.
CPA shows removal of masking on glazing followed by remedial paintwork is biggest potential f**kup and delay.

I think she'll be finished by St Val's Day but it's going to be tight and I don't think i'll get the planned jeep hoist built and fitted into the bomb cargo bay.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat

Masking removed without major f**kup.
Looking promising.
Fred

Flyer

"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

I'm calling this done enough to post.
There are still a number of small bits and pieces to attach and paint, and the jeep cradle mechanism to scratch up, and some light weathering but it's together enough for Post Office duties.

Savoia Marchetti SM-82 Libyan Clipper.  Gambut Main February 1942.

Left behind by retreating Italian forces a Savoia Marchetti SM-82 Marsupiale was pressed into service by 450 Sqn RAAF, repainted,  and used to fly beer and jeeps (both vital supplies) from Alexandria to Tripoli and other points in North Africa.

Savoia Marchetti SM-82 Libyan Clipper 95%  - 1 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Savoia Marchetti SM-82 Libyan Clipper 95%  - 6 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Savoia Marchetti SM-82 Libyan Clipper 95%  - 3 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

In reality the Libyan Clipper was a Ju 52.

Fred

PR19_Kit

That is splendid! I especially like the dropped flaps, I rarely do that and perhaps I should.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Great result, Fred! :thumbsup:

And good to see they had their priorities right! ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Love it Fred...another of your builds mate..excellent as usual  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

loupgarou

Beautiful build of an interesting plane.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.