IADFAF Skyvan

Started by Gondor, November 04, 2022, 10:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Quote from: zenrat on January 30, 2023, 02:44:38 AMAcrylic paint thinner should remove felt tip pen.

Which is something I don't have, at least listed as such.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

Had a little think and remembered that the pen I used, a Stabilo Write-4-all Perminant, should work with the thinners I use for my enamel paint, which it did once I found my cotton buds.  :thumbsup:

Result, with just a few little black patches around a couple of rivets, but at least they are on the underside so should not be seen  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Pellson

Quote from: Gondor on January 30, 2023, 10:42:11 AMHad a little think and remembered that the pen I used, a Stabilo write-4-all Perminant, should work with the thinners I use for my enamel paint, which it did once I found my cotton buds.  :thumbsup:

Result, with just a few little black patches around a couple of rivets, but at least they are on the underside so should not be seen  :thumbsup:

Great!!  :thumbsup:

Gondor
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

zenrat

Bonza  :thumbsup:

FWIW acrylic thinner is IIRC alcohol of some sort.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Gondor

Quote from: zenrat on January 31, 2023, 02:35:02 AMBonza  :thumbsup:

FWIW acrylic thinner is IIRC alcohol of some sort.

Well I did say I didn't have it at least listed as that  :lol:

A bit more progress tonight. After looking at the nose wheel and leg I decided that it was good enough to get fitted, so that is what I have done, this also means that the nose could be fitted and it is now drying after unblocking the nozzle of the Revell Contacta Professional that I use. Several seconds with the nozzle, removed from the bottle, and held in the flame of a burner of my gas cooker and its good to go again  :thumbsup:  Difficult to tell these days if the nozzle is clear by eye as the tube got bent so looking to see if light is visible through it is a bit of a waste of time..

Gondor

Pellson

You know, these plastic clad steel wires that are used to hold stuff into packing, or electronic cables tied up when you buy stuff, like mobile phone chargers etc? If you peel off the plastic, you'll find that the steel wire is perfect to clear Revell Contacta nozzles.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Pellson on February 01, 2023, 01:50:31 PMYou know, these plastic clad steel wires that are used to hold stuff into packing, or electronic cables tied up when you buy stuff, like mobile phone chargers etc? If you peel off the plastic, you'll find that the steel wire is perfect to clear Revell Contacta nozzles.

That's handy to know, thanks.  :thumbsup:

I've been using 5 amp fuse wire for ages and it never lasts more than two clearings. (for those non-UK-ites it's the thinnest fuse wire we can get here, used to re-wire cartridge type fuses when they blow. Yes, really.......)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

I use that glue a ton and to stop the clogging up I use .5mm steel piano wire..get it at all good model shops..it stays in the tube and it never clogs ..heating the tube is bloody annoying.
The steel wire is the cap door my glue now...on hint bend 2 90°bends in the wire so it's easy to hold  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

I use the 0.5mm wrapping wire I keep next to the bench for making 1/25 spark plug wires.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Pellson

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 01, 2023, 03:55:21 PM
Quote from: Pellson on February 01, 2023, 01:50:31 PMYou know, these plastic clad steel wires that are used to hold stuff into packing, or electronic cables tied up when you buy stuff, like mobile phone chargers etc? If you peel off the plastic, you'll find that the steel wire is perfect to clear Revell Contacta nozzles.

That's handy to know, thanks.  :thumbsup:

I've been using 5 amp fuse wire for ages and it never lasts more than two clearings. (for those non-UK-ites it's the thinnest fuse wire we can get here, used to re-wire cartridge type fuses when they blow. Yes, really.......)

Mine (or rather one of them) looks like this.

You cannot view this attachment.

Gondor

Well it's getting there. Nearly all the parts have been fitted and I should get on with painting.

Still to do list:

Main wheels need the inboard surfaces painted.
Aerials need attached - will be done once the painting is done.
Cockpit windscreen needs fitted Five minuite job done after my first mug of tea this morning
Replacement side of windscreen needs cut to shape and fitted
Propellers need painted and fitted to their spinners
Engine fronts need assembled once the propellers are done
Paint!
Decals

So not too much to do and about enough time to do it.

Gondor

Gondor

Couple of coats of the underside colour early this evening. I will look at drawing in pencil the colour schene on the upper surfaces tomorrow evening.

Gondor

Gondor

So nothing done over the last few days, progress tonight though...

Two coats of paint might be enough, we shall see later. The good thing about painting this aircraft with Acrylic's is that it's like the Forth Rail Bridge, once you finish one coat it's ready for the next.

Gondor

Gondor

So as the deadline looms the painting progresses. The first coat of the light sand to go onto the fuselage sides has been done, later the second coat will be completed. That will just leave three camouflage colours and the props and engines to do. Really glad I am using Acrylic paint. Even been working on the back storey, ok, that part is still in my head but some key elements have been decided.

Gondor

Gondor

After checking my refferences I only have to add a couple of colours when I thought I had to add three  :thumbsup:

Gondor