The fastest freighter ever, the 'Stretchcorde'

Started by PR19_Kit, November 19, 2022, 06:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Something like this might ease the pain.

I'm sure that you will have a 1/144 Tu-144 or Tu-160 in your stash.

PR19_Kit

While grovelling through The Loft today, in a failed search for an upper lobe for the former 'Conroycorde' (now to become the 'Stretchcorde'.....) I found to my utter amazement that I have an Airfix 1/72 scale Concorde, as well as the 4-5 1/144 scale ones!  :o

While not intending to use the 1/72 scale fuselage as the upper lobe for the 1/44 scale Stretchorde (but I may keep that idea in the back of my mind....) It does raise the possibility of doing a PaintWhiff with it. I've always wanted to do G-BOAD in the 'mix and match' BA/Singapore Airlines scheme, and indeed I have done it in 1/144 scale, but I maintain that BA should have used the Landor 'blue fin' scheme on the starboard side and not the Negus 'red fin' scheme. So I'll do the Bigcorde like that, and I have a Singapore decal in 1/144 to scan and enlarge for the job.

It may be an OOB build (apart from the numerous inaccuracies that it's notorious for....) but it will be a Whiff with that colour scheme.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

That sounds like not only a great rediscovery but also a great idea too re the markings which will be a whiff of course!  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

The now renamed Stretchorde has its nose glued in place now, and it'll need some PSR at the joint as the two versions of the Airfix Concorde have different fuselage diameters.....  :-\

But that's something that I've done before a few times.....

The decal sheet design is finished too, and a few colour match patches will be needed to be printed off to get the the Flying Tigers blue correct, but it looks pretty good on the drawing.

And it won't need ANY nose weight, hardly surprising with a nose THAT long.  ;D

It might just get done in time, now we have a lovely 2 week extension, thanks SO much Mr. Mods.  :bow:  :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 15, 2023, 09:07:36 AMthe two versions of the Airfix Concorde have different fuselage diameters

Explanation for future project, based on the Boeing 367-80/KC-135/707 : The prototype Concordes had a slightly smaller fuselage diameter than the production models, but the first widening wasn't considered enough by BOAC and Air France, so the commercial version was even wider. The first widened design was put onto production as a military air-to-air tanker, getting to combat zones much faster than any other. The USAF purchased 35 of them with the rounded-off designation KC-269, because its maximum speed was 2.686 that of the KC-135.  ;D  ;D  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

What a superb backstory, love it!  :thumbsup:

That would explain Airfix putting the old one back in to production of course.................  ;)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Here's a sample of what it should look like, hopefully...

Note the large cargo hatch in the forward fuselage.  ;)

You cannot view this attachment.

Regards
Kit

Gondor

That looks great Kit. Makes me want to get a Concorde  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

PR19_Kit

And here it is in plastic, and putty..........

If you do go for one Alastair, go for the newer Airfix, long tail one, or the Revell kit. To my mind the Revell one is slightly better , but there's not much in it.

DON'T get the old short tail Airfix kit, it's just not up to standard.

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 15, 2023, 12:11:53 PMHere's a sample of what it should look like, hopefully...

When it absolutely, positively needs to get there before sunrise.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 15, 2023, 01:43:56 PMAnd here it is in plastic, and putty..........

If you do go for one Alastair, go for the newer Airfix, long tail one, or the Revell kit. To my mind the Revell one is slightly better , but there's not much in it.

DON'T get the old short tail Airfix kit, it's just not up to standard.

I may go for the Revell one then so there is no chanceof getting the old Airfix by mistake, it would go with the Revell SST kit I have, deep in the stash probably.

Gondor

The Rat

Hmmm... That large hatch is necessary, but could be problematic. Pressurisation at the maximum altitude of Concorde, 60,000 ft, could difficult to engineer with a door that size, if it opens outward as all others do. Having it open inward would restrict the size of internal cargo vertically, if it hinged upward, or in width if it pulled in and slide along the side. You could have it pull in and slide forward, but it would block the entrance/exit door.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

PR19_Kit

It's a standard size cargo door with triple seals and nitrogen concentrators to ensure they stay sealed. No problem.

(Kit's 2nd law applies.....  ;) )

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 15, 2023, 03:31:10 PMIt's a standard size cargo door with triple seals and nitrogen concentrators to ensure they stay sealed. No problem.

(Kit's 2nd law applies.....  ;) )

:thumbsup:

zenrat

Quote from: scooter on January 15, 2023, 01:50:46 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 15, 2023, 12:11:53 PMHere's a sample of what it should look like, hopefully...

When it absolutely, positively needs to get there before sunrise...

...yesterday.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..