The fastest freighter ever, the 'Stretchcorde'

Started by PR19_Kit, November 19, 2022, 06:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

I'm just about on the last PSR stage for the port wing now, but the fuselage has a way to go yet.

I'm thinking I'll probably have to leave the IPMS once I've finished this build and join the International PUTTY Modellers Society!  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 24, 2023, 05:35:55 AMI'm thinking I'll probably have to leave the IPMS once I've finished this build and join the International PUTTY Modellers Society!  :banghead:

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

At last I'm done with the PSR.  :drink:  :cheers:

The fuselage has just had its last primer coat, and when it's dry I can glue the wings on, hopefully without too much PSR needed, and then I can give it the colour coat. There'll be only one colour, apart from the fin, as being a Concorde, most of it has to be white. A Nice and easy paint job for a change.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 24, 2023, 12:47:19 PMA Nice and easy paint job for a change.  ;D

Why did you just jinx yourself, Kit? :wacko:

Also, do you have a case of Halford's White handy?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 15, 2023, 01:43:56 PMIf you do go for one Alastair, go for the newer Airfix, long tail one, or the Revell kit. To my mind the Revell one is slightly better , but there's not much in it.

DON'T get the old short tail Airfix kit, it's just not up to standard.

After looking at Scalemates, I find that both the new Airfix kit and the Revell kit are the same, just different decals.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: scooter on January 24, 2023, 12:59:30 PMWhy did you just jinx yourself, Kit? :wacko:

Also, do you have a case of Halford's White handy?

Of course, we airliner modellers ALWAYS have some Halfords Appliance White handy, two cans in my case.  ;D

Quote from: Gondor on January 24, 2023, 01:17:17 PMAfter looking at Scalemates, I find that both the new Airfix kit and the Revell kit are the same, just different decals.

Definitely NOT the case. I have both of them here and there are radical differences, not the least in that the Revell kit has a droopable nose whereas the Airfix kit doesn't.

It may be that Airfix have taken over some Revell moulds very recently for some reason, but their original long tail Concorde was not the same kit as the Revell one.

Regards
Kit

buzzbomb

PR19_Kit

The wings and fuselage are now glued together and look pretty good unless you looked at the joint lines closely. There were some significant gaps that needed filling and I used my newly bought tube of Revell Plasto for the job.

BIG mistake! The half-runny/half-stiff consistency of the stuff meant I had to keep going back and forth along the IMMENSE Concorde wing root, with the result I ended up with far too much putty spread around on the wing surfaces. Trying to sand the excess off later did not go well, leaving a pretty rough joint surface. :(

I'm going to re-putty it with Presto and have another go.

Airfix didn't get things quite right with the wing roots, the joint where the pointy bit of the wing joins the fuselage is different on each side, and needs a lot of filler to remove a step on one side, and a fair amount on the other too.

From ancient memory, they made just the same error with the original short tail prototype kit, but even worse! To my mind the Revell kit is a lot better.

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

This is or was a very cool build Kit..it's still cool don't get me wrong there but your big backed Concorde looked super cool mate.
I've been thinking about what you've been saying about the DC8 fuselage and the plastic ...it's sounding a lot like perspex than normal styrene and a 2 pac epoxy would have worked fine if you were careful when using it..some can get very hot when setting and a right bugger to clean or sand when set...think that would have solved your woes.
Still tho...loving the wider wings and the stretch  :thumbsup:
Seeing your build reminded me ive got a Airfix special edition 1/144 BAC/French Concorde in my stash and I've got no idea what to do with it  ..after seeing yours I now still don't 😁
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

I've not abandoned the idea of the Conroycorde totally, just not for this build. And at least I know the pitfalls of the extended bits now. I've got enough Concorde kits to do it, as well as a few 'normal' ones too.  ;D

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I've had enough of PPSR now, that's Prime-Putty-Sand-Repeat, and I've sprayed the last primer coat on the Stretchcorde.  :banghead:

As soon as it's dry I'll be spraying the first colour coat, and about time too!

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Also available in white.  ;D

You cannot view this attachment.

I had to paint it in four parts, front and back and top and bottom, so it took a while.

And the nose strakes were well sanded after all the PSR so I chopped them off and replaced them with styrene strips cut to shape. I need to find some Flying Tigers blue paint for the fin now and she'll be ready for decalling.

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Looking very sleek matey ,,,and white ,,strange cause to my eyes it looks gray  :lol:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

buzzbomb

Pretty smooth from what can be seen. Into the final stretch(ish)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on January 26, 2023, 03:52:13 PMLooking very sleek matey ,,,and white ,,strange cause to my eyes it looks gray  :lol:

That's just me not using flash for that pic. With flash the whole thing looked burned out, so I backed off the lighting a bit.

I use Halfords Appliance White for all my airliner builds, and believe me, it's WHITE!

Regards
Kit