Flying Wings: XB-35, YB-49, B-2 Spirit, A-12A Avenger II, B-21 Raider, etc.

Started by seadude, November 29, 2022, 03:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

According to various news sources, the US Air Force's new B-21 Raider stealth bomber is (Hopefully) expected to make it's public debut this week Friday.
Links:
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/first-b-21-raider-test-jet-aims-to-more-closely-mirror-production-examples
https://aviationweek.com/defense-space/podcast-guide-b-21-rollout

I don't know about anybody else, but I'm excited for it.  ;D
And in 6 months or a year's time, I hope we get a good quality model kit of it.  :thumbsup:
My preference would be 1/72 or 1/48 scale. But I suspect it'll be 1/72 to match the same scale of the Testor and Modelcollect B-2 bomber kits.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Dizzyfugu

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 29, 2022, 11:52:57 PMMight just be a scaled-down re-boxing of existing B-2 kits...  ;)

Pretty much like the real thing then?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

seadude

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 30, 2022, 01:33:09 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 29, 2022, 11:52:57 PMMight just be a scaled-down re-boxing of existing B-2 kits...  ;)

Pretty much like the real thing then?  ;D

That's the thing. I'm not sure I understand the Air Force's decision to make a slightly smaller stealth bomber? I don't understand the reasoning. Even the payload the B-21 is supposed to carry is smaller than the B-2's. Did the Air Force go smaller in order to cut costs? Or were they hoping a smaller stealthy aircraft could penetrate more advanced defenses? Actually, size of an aircraft isn't as important as the SHAPE when making it stealthy. ;)
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

jcf

Precision guided weapons have gotten smaller, and because of their accuracy they don't need as much explosive filling.
Which means that the B-21 having a lower payload weight doesn't automatically mean it carries fewer bombs.

seadude

comrade harps

A tightly controlled event, 1 head-on camera angle, spooky lighting, no view from the sides or from above and definitely denied a rear view. There was a moment of glint from the side windows, which is interesting (not visually stealthy, that). No one flying over with a camera this time for a plan view.

The flying wing has a deep central fuselage, it looks extremely smooth and the engine intakes appear shallow from that angle.
Whatever.

seadude

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on December 02, 2022, 11:12:03 PMSo, the USAF has finally caught on to anti-flash white! ;)

I now have visions of Del Boy driving away from Palmdale in his Reliant van smoking a huge cigar and with a smirk on his face  :angel:  ;D  (only Brits and some "colonials" may get this reference)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

'Twas not, actually, a show I watched but I get the reference! ;D  :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Gosh, it looks like a small B-2. What a surprise.....................NOT!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 03, 2022, 07:57:25 AMGosh, it looks like a small B-2. What a surprise.....................NOT!
What else would it look like?  :unsure:

That it was going to be a flying wing along B-2 lines has been known all along, only the details were missing.

seadude