C-133 Cargomaster D.E.W. strip alert support *finished*

Started by sandiego89, December 03, 2022, 01:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 03, 2022, 02:13:51 PMOoooh magic! I've always liked the C-133, as you say a well under-Whiffed aeroplane.  :thumbsup:

Well, there haven't been many kits to mess with around so far...  :mellow:

PR19_Kit

The An-225 had a 30 ft wider wing span than the B-36, and the Scaled Composites Stratolaunch is over 150 ft wider.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: sandiego89 on December 04, 2022, 03:29:52 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on December 04, 2022, 07:57:02 AMC-133 is a bit bigger Kit, the C-141 vacuforms I have the fuselage isn't any bigger than a C-135 fuselage, IIRC the C-133 fuselage it the same as a C-130, just a lot longer.

That is a common miss-interpretation, but the C-133 is much bigger than the C-130 in all dimensions, and in no ways a stretched C-130. 

The C-133 main cargo bay interior was 180 inches wide (15 feet), by 159 inches high (142 inches under the spar).  The C-130 cargo bay is about 10 feet wide and 9 feet high.  Having been all over both at the excellent Dover AFB museum, the size difference is even more apparent than the numbers would say.  The C-133 there has a large fire engine inside and you can easily walk past it-  o way doing that in a C-130.  Outside dimensions are even more impressive.   

Yes, you're quite correct Sandiego, I got my aircraft mixed up. The C-141 and the C-130 have similar cross-section outside fuselage dimensions. The C-133 is in the same class as the Short Belfast and Airbus A400, which as Kit knows is huge ----
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 05, 2022, 06:28:51 AMThe An-225 had a 30 ft wider wing span than the B-36, and the Scaled Composites Stratolaunch is over 150 ft wider.  :o

I think the XC-99 has a slightly wider fuselage than the B-36 too

PR19_Kit

Oddly the XC-99 has the same wing span as the B-36. I wonder why, it ought to be a bit wider I'd have thought.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

What a great idea. Love all the machines in your pics. Who makes the Voodoo ?
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 05, 2022, 10:02:26 AMOddly the XC-99 has the same wing span as the B-36. I wonder why, it ought to be a bit wider I'd have thought.

They used the same wing. The Air Force thought the XC-99 would provide valuable data for the B-36 as it was thought it could be made cheaper and quicker than the bomber version as it did not have all the bomber equipment.   Turned out the XB-36 flew first when both programs were slowed down.   

Quote from: Captain Canada on December 05, 2022, 08:17:17 PMWhat a great idea. Love all the machines in your pics. Who makes the Voodoo ?

Not sure about the Voodoo kit branch, away from my bench until later this week- it is an ancient kit.  But saw 2 on the bargain table at a model swap meet and snatched them up for $1 each. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

I don't doubt that they did both have the same wing, but if the XC-99 fuselage was wider why did the overall span remain the same?  :-\

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 06, 2022, 10:25:51 PMI don't doubt that they did both have the same wing, but if the XC-99 fuselage was wider why did the overall span remain the same?  :-\

Took the wingtips off?   :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

zenrat

Maybe someone at some stage made an assumption (and we all know what THAT is the mother of) and that has since been taken as gospel?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitnut617

I'll dig out the XC-99 conversion bits I have and check ----

A while ago I got a scrapped B-36 from someone (sorry who ever it was, but I've forgotten your name), so I have all the bits to build the XC-99. So if anyone is interested taking it off my hands, PM me -

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 06, 2022, 10:25:51 PMI don't doubt that they did both have the same wing, but if the XC-99 fuselage was wider why did the overall span remain the same?  :-\

The B-36 and XC-99 had the same wing with the massive center spar going THROUGH the fuselage (like most large aircraft). The wings were not bolted to the sides of the fuselage, so they had the same wing span. The same wing with but with the different fuselages built around the main spar/wing. Remember the B-36 fuselage was really a square lattice frame with round outer skin riveted to it.  The XC-99 was an entirely different fuselage, and made mostly of aluminum to save time and cost, but was only 2 feet wider that the round B-36 fuselage at is widest point (12'6" for the B-36, 14'3" for the XC-99).

similar to the C-97, which shared a wing platform of the B-50 (inherited from the B-29) but had a much wider fuselage, with the larger upper lobe.  Same wing span but with different fuselages- and can even expand that to the Guppy!     
Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

Quote from: Captain Canada on December 05, 2022, 08:17:17 PMWhat a great idea. Love all the machines in your pics. Who makes the Voodoo ?

Captain the F-101A kit is by Otaki

Scalemates shows it as a 197? re-boxing of the 1969 kit

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/otaki-a-1-100-f-101a-voodoo--1001991
Dave "Sandiego89"