C-133 Cargomaster D.E.W. strip alert support *finished*

Started by sandiego89, December 03, 2022, 01:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Not just underwhiffed, but under-represented in modeling form for far too long. The size may have put off some manufacturers, but surely they've heard of the concept of 'scale.' Fie on them if they have not!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on December 09, 2022, 05:40:08 PMThe B-36 and XC-99 had the same wing with the massive center spar going THROUGH the fuselage (like most large aircraft). The wings were not bolted to the sides of the fuselage, so they had the same wing span. The same wing with but with the different fuselages built around the main spar/wing. Remember the B-36 fuselage was really a square lattice frame with round outer skin riveted to it.  The XC-99 was an entirely different fuselage, and made mostly of aluminum to save time and cost, but was only 2 feet wider that the round B-36 fuselage at is widest point (12'6" for the B-36, 14'3" for the XC-99).

So they either made the innermost panels of the wing surface shorter to meet the fuselage sides or those panels actually went right through the fuselage skin some distance inboard.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Finally commenced work, primer on the C-133.  Will be using "Remembering an Unsung Giant" by Cal Taylor, for paint reference, which must be the THE C-133 reference out there at 420 pages.  Picked it up at the gift shop at the excellent Air Mobility Command museum at Dover, Delaware, which was the home of the East Coast C-133 squadrons and has the last C-133 built which is usually open for guests to climb inside. If its not open, just ask a docent.  Fascinating inside.  The trained eye will spot the doubling plates installed to arrest the fuselage cracks which were found to be the cause of at least the final catastrophic loss, and possibly others.   

Primer on

Lets take a loom at the Otaki Voodoo while the primer dries.  1/72 A-4 for scale.

Pretty basic.  I don't think I will be using the decals.......or the glue! 

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sandiego89

Primer and first coat of aluminum on.

Dry fitting, you can really appreciate how the wing was on top of the fuselage, not really though it like many transports.

disregard the custom mounting stand

Dave "Sandiego89"

kitnut617

That book on the C-133 is really good isn't it?  I bought my copy as soon as my kit arrived so I could get the details as close as possible as the kit is a rather basic vacuform.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

sandiego89

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 18, 2022, 06:49:53 AMThat book on the C-133 is really good isn't it?  I bought my copy as soon as my kit arrived so I could get the details as close as possible as the kit is a rather basic vacuform.

It really is a great book, gets the operational and technical stuff which I really enjoy, but also the crew stories/life on a squadron as well.  Have only skimmed it.  As the title says a largely forgotten type, but I have a real soft spot for it. 
Dave "Sandiego89"

zenrat

I used to drink your paint stand back when I was a student.  we had a pyramid of empties in the corner of the lounge room which reached the ceiling.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

While you're up, I'll take 2 custom plane stands, please. Thanks.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sandiego89

Armrests!  You gotta be kidding me!?  Kit comes with armrests for the crews seat for our heroic 1/144 crew.  I left them off.  Was surprised to find the flight deck of the last C-133 at Dover was a largely in a very attractive light blue.  Doubt I will see much through the canopy. 

Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

Work on the D.E.W. alert site aircraft has been very slow due to the low bid contractor repeatedly missing target deadlines, but finally some progress.

Voodoo assembly line up and running.  Extremely brittle Otkai plastic. Had several fuselage cracks with just light knife and sanding work.

C-133

High Viz Arctic markings

Dave "Sandiego89"

mexchiwa

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Captain Canada

Very nice ! Love the markings. Those Voodoos are going to be sweet as well.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sandiego89

Decal disaster. Most of the C-133 decals disintegrated or broke up coming off the decal paper, was able to save most but much of the wing walks and MATS lettering could not be saved.  Don't think the decals were of the best quality. 

Used some Testors decal paper via my inkjet printer to print up some new decals for the lettering on the fuselage.  Calbri bold seems close enough. 

Also scanned the F-101 decals.  They were toast. 

Dave "Sandiego89"