WIP Super Tomcat 21 (Finished Page 4)

Started by Tomcatter, December 03, 2022, 11:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomcatter

BUILD PROGRESS SO FAR

It's been a couple days of final exams and I am nearly back to the Batcave to complete the project, so I thought I'd show some more of how things were going last I left it.

Rubber has unevenly met road in adding the sensors to the underside rails. Lots of sanding work done and still to do to make these work well.

A beautiful profile emerging.

Proud of my work on the interior rails of the cockpit glass.

Not too shabby from the side so far. That nose bubble is going to be sanded down to more accurately replicate the APX-111 IFF box as seen on the Super Hornet.

This was my main source of infuriation and error so far. After mopping up a disastrous attempt at using unexpectedly runny Tamiya putty to add in the leading edge extensions, I cleaned up as best I could with the time I had and added in this dry modeling clay putty stuff. Hopefully it has cured long enough to sand when I return to it, and I can find more sandpaper to clean off the billions of sticky particles of putty still clinging to the wing gloves.
If it doesn't trap on a boat or do... things related to boats, I probably won't like it.

Tomcatter

To tide myself over some more here's some additional shots of the pilot and RIO I liked.

If it doesn't trap on a boat or do... things related to boats, I probably won't like it.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Looking pretty cool  so far  ;D
If im building a leading edge extension what I do is make the extension from plastic card first..that's the guide..then I build it up with more card and let that go bone dry first ..then shape it will a knife ..sand it smooth then putty ..it's a bit of work but it works every time ..I have something in mind for the F-14 delta which will work..I think    :unsure:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on December 14, 2022, 10:37:44 AMLooking pretty cool  so far  ;D
If im building a leading edge extension what I do is make the extension from plastic card first..that's the guide..then I build it up with more card and let that go bone dry first ..then shape it will a knife ..sand it smooth then putty ..it's a bit of work but it works every time ..I have something in mind for the F-14 delta which will work..I think    :unsure:

Agree 100%, it's much easier to work up a shape like that than with putty ou similar products. I learned that the hard way when i built my first F-16W and tried to shape new wings and the DSI intake just out of Tamiya grey putty... :banghead:

I believe i can call the DSI intake a success but the wings failed miserably so i had to use a CD plastic case to make them. ;D
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Tomcatter

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on December 14, 2022, 10:37:44 AMLooking pretty cool  so far  ;D

Ahh, the inexpensive hobby of modeling, in which I discover that I need new paints, a decal set, plastic card, et cetera before each day is out.

...but I already bought them anyway lmao

Wardukw

Quote from: Tomcatter on December 14, 2022, 05:05:15 PM

Ahh, the inexpensive hobby of modeling, in which I discover that I need new paints, a decal set, plastic card, et cetera before each day is out.

...but I already bought them anyway lmao

Oh don't forget the dozens of different tools ya need for scratch building as well ..ive got over 120 knife blades in 6 different styles ..im not sure if I have more tools than I need but hell having some is good..having many is better  ;D
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

Having no tools is a catastrophe!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Couldn't agree more ...everything stops dead without em ..if you saw just how many different pilers I have you'd know I either A have enough or B I have a problem  :wacko:

Old Wombat

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on December 14, 2022, 11:17:56 PMCouldn't agree more ...everything stops dead without em ..if you saw just how many different pilers I have you'd know I either A have enough or B I have a problem  :wacko:

I'll go with "B". :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:

And, yes, Styrene* is your friend for this kind of work.

[*: Both the product & the goddess! ;) ]
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

As you can imagine I've got to have a heap of styrene ..building armour requires tons of it so when ever I can get that for cheap I do ...im not running out of .5 mm sheet anytime soon ..24 sheets of that alone and yes I did count  ;D

Guy B I think was the right option  :wacko:  ;)

Gondor

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on December 14, 2022, 11:17:56 PMCouldn't agree more ...everything stops dead without em ..if you saw just how many different pilers I have you'd know I either A have enough or B I have a problem  :wacko:

Option C, I have most but not all types of plyers so will buy more if I find a type I don't have.   ;D  :rolleyes:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Wardukw

I kinda had no choice to get as many as I have and there's only one thing which caused it...PE ..alot of tanks ive built come with PE..some with a small bit some with many sheets and the more tools you have for that stuff the better.
Pliers for this and that and you find em in some places ya wouldn't expect like Spotlight...a shop for curtains which does also arts and crafts ..like jewelry making and picture hanging and a heap of tools  ;D

kerick

I have several of most of my hand tools. Some for the model desk, some in the garage and others in the basement. Depends on where I'm working as to which way I go to find one. There's never one right where they're supposed to be. I swear they walk around when I'm not looking like the characters in Toy Story.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

I'm not wardukw the tool man  but sometimes I think it's possible..the amount of tweezers alone is scary..ive got over a dozen knife handles alone ..ive got my go to handles and other just hold blades for scrapping and so on .
I haven't counted the amount but yeah I ain't going to need anymore ...that is until I find something I haven't got but absolute  ;)  :unsure: