WIP Super Tomcat 21 (Finished Page 4)

Started by Tomcatter, December 03, 2022, 11:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

I often find that whilst I may have lots of different tools I end up using the same couple 95% of the time  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 17, 2022, 05:46:23 AMI often find that whilst I may have lots of different tools I end up using the same couple 95% of the time  :banghead:

Same. They're the tools I'm most comfortable with; the ones that look right, work right & feel good in the hand. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Well I relented and counted the pliers I have in my container beside me here and it came to 21 pairs..not including cutters ..both flush and side styles ...and apart from just 2 pairs which are the same they are all different and I've used them all.
It's that scratch building thing again..when ya got to do some strange arse bend on some PE that pile has saved my butt many times.
I've got 7 pairs of flush cut clippers ..yep most are semi shagged but good for cutting hard copper and removing flush mounted pins on real cars  ;D ..very handy indeed  <_<
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Tomcatter

ADD-ONS PART THREE: AIR-TO-GROUND

We're back to the lair! Huge leaps in progress the last few days back at home.
One of which is the completion of the air-to-ground stores on our Super Tomcat. What the ST-21 would have provided in terms of payload would be enormous, and to my knowledge superior to a Hornet over range. With 6 fuselage pylons, plus the two outboard stations carrying AIM-120's (but easily could carry another bomb, as shown in the renders), what the Cat would gain further over the Superbug would be the ability to carry all that AND the extra gas, thrust, and range to actually haul it with external fuel tanks.

For my kit, I've decided to load her up with four 2,000 pound class weapons with an additional two 500 pound bombs. All are JDAMs, the larger being Eduard's GBU-31(V)-3B, which is the BLU-109 penetrator warhead with a GPS kit attached, and for the smaller ones I used Hasegawa's GBU-38.

I'm not used to putting together photo etched metal parts, but I enjoy the end result and I had already paid for them.

I'd like to think the ordnanceman for the jet this sortie was from Brooklyn.
If it doesn't trap on a boat or do... things related to boats, I probably won't like it.

Tomcatter

The pre-shade, one of my favorite steps of any model. This was no exception.

Next, the bottom lighter paint tone.

All sanded (as much as I could before I feared they'd come off) and painted, the leading edge extensions look much less egregious. It's a kitbash dammit, it can be as neat or not as I like.

Literally just did that an hour ago, so we're really in gear now.
If it doesn't trap on a boat or do... things related to boats, I probably won't like it.

kerick

This looks better every time I see it! Carry on!
You're also giving me plenty of ideas for my medium bomber project. I love the double slammer pylons!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Seconded here ...this beast is helping me as well with my up and coming F-14 delta which is going to be a contender along with the F-16XL ...no idea on the 14s name yet but that makes no never mind ..im still trying to sort out the wings first .
As for load out ...it's will be bombs and more bombs and a few missiles for good measure  ;D
This is a great build so far and I will look brilliant when it's done.
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Tomcatter

Thank you all very much for the feedback and encouragement--Merry Christmas!

Up top, we add the tactical Dark Gull Grey. I decided to give it the full monty just to see for a day or two what a line jet would look like before it becomes our ultimate plan, and I'll give points to whoever can guess what squadron this CAG bird will belong to.

Then we mask a little and add Tamiya flat red. Touchups inevitable, but achieved in the end. Also great appearance of it looking like I bled everywhere.

Now, the kitty gains her claws--the fearsome 4x AMRAAMs and 2x AIM-9x's were fun to finish.

I just added the clear coat. Mission Models Clear Coat is new to me and a vicious enemy of my airbrush apparently, with a milky consistency that dries in the worst places, but with some perseverance and help from the old man, it SHOULD leave me with a nice flat surface for my voluminous decals. I've had problems with silvering in the past since I didn't use clear coats, so this should prevent that issue. Hopefully Santa will help it cure.

thundereagle1997

Keep up the great work my friend

Tomcatter

Quote from: Tomcatter on December 23, 2022, 11:18:11 AMADD-ONS PART THREE: AIR-TO-GROUND

We're back to the lair! Huge leaps in progress the last few days back at home.
One of which is the completion of the air-to-ground stores on our Super Tomcat. What the ST-21 would have provided in terms of payload would be enormous, and to my knowledge superior to a Hornet over range. With 6 fuselage pylons, plus the two outboard stations carrying AIM-120's (but easily could carry another bomb, as shown in the renders), what the Cat would gain further over the Superbug would be the ability to carry all that AND the extra gas, thrust, and range to actually haul it with external fuel tanks.

For my kit, I've decided to load her up with four 2,000 pound class weapons with an additional two 500 pound bombs. All are JDAMs, the larger being Eduard's GBU-31(V)-3B, which is the BLU-109 penetrator warhead with a GPS kit attached, and for the smaller ones I used Hasegawa's GBU-38.

I'm not used to putting together photo etched metal parts, but I enjoy the end result and I had already paid for them.

I'd like to think the ordinanceman for the jet this sortie was from Brooklyn.
Quick note here; I think I might have made one or two doctrinal errors here. First; I don't know if the Navy uses this particular penetrator version of the bomb. Second, a lot of JDAM's in the Navy recently have been skipping the olive drab paint altogether. However, I think it creates contrast and looks good on the kit.

Wardukw

Welcome to wiffy world ..in our world those are the exact JDAMs the Navy use ...it's one of the great things about the world of wiff...if you want those one your bird then on your bird they shall be  :thumbsup:

Tomcatter

Oh trust me, there's plenty of WH-FI factor going on here (What If... work that one out). But not too much for my taste. Happy with how the bombs eventually mounted, I'm cooking up the pictures for that.

Wardukw

Looking forward to those pics mate ...here in wiffie world the rule book got thrown out of some window in some building so long ago nobody knows if that building is even standing still and none can be buggered to find said rule book so just go for it matey..if you like it then do it..remember bud..you build to please you ..not us ..just happens we like your builds  ;D
Nice how that worked out huh  :thumbsup: