F/A-18SE and F-16TE

Started by Firefox, December 17, 2022, 05:03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firefox

I have the idea of a single engine F/A-18 and a twin engine F-16 for a long while. Finally, I'm motivated myself enough to make both. Both are from Hasegawa in 1/72 scale. To my surprise the width of the mid-aft sections of both aircraft are almost identical, at least in 1/72 scale. Fusing the fore section of the F/A-18 with the aft section of the F-16 is a breeze. I couldn't say the same for fore section of F-16 with aft section of F/A-18, there are simply not enough contact points to glue them together securely.

Completed models are on page 2

Firefox

After applying some putty and sanding, things started to look better. The F-16TE continued to be a nightmare to work on. I had to reworked it a few times to a point I nearly wanted to chuck it in the bin. but the F/A-18TE went on smoothly

Firefox

Finally, both started to look good. more putty and sanding. Originally, I planned to re-do the F-16TE main landing gear housing. But the time spent on the re-work in the beginning meant that I have to leave it as is and applied a simpler solution as seen here.

NARSES2

Oh I like where this is going  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

DogfighterZen

Excellent work!  :bow:  :bow:
I'll be watching very carefully cause i've also had a twin engined Viper in mind for a while, this will surely help when i get to build mine.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Firefox

Quote from: DogfighterZen on December 17, 2022, 08:51:30 AMExcellent work!  :bow:  :bow:
I'll be watching very carefully cause i've also had a twin engined Viper in mind for a while, this will surely help when i get to build mine.

Can't wait to see yours. Mine one is a bit of after thought. My main focus is the F/A-18SE

DogfighterZen

Oh, at the rate i've been building, it'll be 2040 when i get to it... :-\
Anyway, i can't wait to see how these two come out, they're looking great already! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Wardukw

This is looking very cool ..a twin engined F-16 done wrong would end up looking like a wonky Mig 29 but a single engined F-18 will look like a F-18 and I like that  :thumbsup:
Next on the cards..a F-18 delta  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Dizzyfugu

Nice.  :thumbsup:  The F-16 will propably look pretty tail-heavy, though? The F-18SE is also my favorite.

perttime

This will be interesting. Can't wait to see side views.

mexchiwa

Looks great - but one problem may be that the F-18SE is too short.  There isn't enough room for the engine behind the wheel wells. Maybe add an extension? 

Steel Penguin

looking good so far, and i can see it confusing a lot of folks when finished as well,  the cockpits and intakes will say  one thing, then the tail ends something utterly different.  :thumbsup:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!