On models, whisky and other important things in life

Started by TomZ, December 30, 2022, 09:50:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

As a New Year's resolution I will set up a blog here and try to keep it updated (a bit) regularly during 2023.
In general; I start far too many build all the time as I like starting kits a lot more than finishing builds. The result is that I have far too many kits on my shelf of doom where they can stay form a couple of months to many years..  So no guarantee that anything you see here will be finished any time soon or even finished at all.

I only spray paint in summer as my paint booth is in the the barn and in winter it is far too cold and humid in there, So finished builds will only appear from May to September in general.

At the moment my active builds on the bench are:
- Grumman F13F Lion (1/48) (The parts that I used here will be a secret a little while longer  ;)  ;) )
- A Spitfire XIV and F4U Corsair (1/48). Somehow the parts of these kits got mixed up, resulting in a gull winged Spitfire and straight winged Corsair)  ;D  ;D
- Kawasaki KX-03 (1/350)
- 1/350 German Haunebu base
- Douglas A2D Skyshark (1/72)
- Focke Wulf Ta-400 (1/72)
- Mustang Schneider Trophy racer

Also I'm working on a project which started out as a simple idea: Try to build all models of the Messerschmitt Bf-109 in 1/72. That sounded quite easy. However I'm now at a total of 55 models. I had already built 21 of these in the past. 13 have been started and another 21 are still to be built. I'm aiming to finish these all by the end of 2023 but I have no idea if I will succeed.

I will post some in progress pictures here shortly.

And many other projects in (semi) dormant mode.

The fact that I will be working 4 days a week starting January and (hopefully) have an extra build-day each week. However MrsZ might have some other ideas about that  :-\  :-\  :-\ .

And on the whisky side. Open and enjoying at the moment:
- Glendronach 18yrs old
- Kavalan Solist Amontillado Sherry Single Cask (never, ever tell my wife how much this costs!)
- Mackmyra Björksav
- Bladnoch Samsara

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

jcf

Kavalan Solist Amontillado Sherry Single Cask (never, ever tell my wife how much this costs!)
:o Yowza

TomZ

Gondor

Your 109 series build sounds interesting. How defined are you going with these?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

TomZ

Quote from: Gondor on December 30, 2022, 02:12:49 PMYour 109 series build sounds interesting. How defined are you going with these?

Gondor

Well, I've thinking about this and collecting kits left and right for quite a while.
It started out with a range of one each of the 109A to 109K.
Then I got models of the V-1, V-2 and V-3.
And of course there are the one-offs like the V-31 (Tricycle undercarriage), FiSK-199, etc
And then there are the Avia and Hispano variants.
And then the developments of the high altitude versions like the BV-155, P-1091, etc.
And lastly the 209 (V-1, V-4 and V-5), 309, 409, 509 and 609.

All that added together makes quite a long list.....

TomZ

Gondor

Quote from: TomZ on December 31, 2022, 01:14:14 AM
Quote from: Gondor on December 30, 2022, 02:12:49 PMYour 109 series build sounds interesting. How defined are you going with these?

Gondor

Well, I've thinking about this and collecting kits left and right for quite a while.
It started out with a range of one each of the 109A to 109K.
Then I got models of the V-1, V-2 and V-3.
And of course there are the one-offs like the V-31 (Tricycle undercarriage), FiSK-199, etc
And then there are the Avia and Hispano variants.
And then the developments of the high altitude versions like the BV-155, P-1091, etc.
And lastly the 209 (V-1, V-4 and V-5), 309, 409, 509 and 609.

All that added together makes quite a long list.....

TomZ

When you say "It started out with a range of one each of the 109A to 109K." I take it that you are doing things like E-7, F-2, G-5, G-6, G-12 etc.
Are you takeling the Rüstsätze and Umrüst-Bausätze kits into consideration at all?

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TomZ

Quote from: Gondor on December 31, 2022, 01:56:38 AMWhen you say "It started out with a range of one each of the 109A to 109K." I take it that you are doing things like E-7, F-2, G-5, G-6, G-12 etc.
Are you takeling the Rüstsätze and Umrüst-Bausätze kits into consideration at all?

For now I aim to only make multiple models of a version if the difference is visible in 1/72.
So there will be two E models with two different canopies, one F model, three G models with and without "Beulen" and with the newer engine cover.
And of course a G-12 and K-12. Two of the K version, K-4 and K-14.
And only one of the A, B, C and D.

The various R and U sub variants are not in the planning as yet. (Don't give me more ideas!!!!!)

TomZ

TomZ

My 109 assembly line crate:

The dark grey model, btw, is (going to be) the Messerstang:

TomZ

Gondor

Quote from: TomZ on December 31, 2022, 08:38:24 AM
Quote from: Gondor on December 31, 2022, 01:56:38 AMWhen you say "It started out with a range of one each of the 109A to 109K." I take it that you are doing things like E-7, F-2, G-5, G-6, G-12 etc.

For now I aim to only make multiple models of a version if the difference is visible in 1/72.
So there will be two E models with two different canopies, one F model, three G models with and without "Beulen" and with the newer engine cover.
And of course a G-12 and K-12. Two of the K version, K-4 and K-14.
And only one of the A, B, C and D.

The various R and U sub variants are not in the planning as yet. (Don't give me more ideas!!!!!)

TomZ

There were also lots of variation with the G-5/6 and onwards with at least three different types of engine coweling as well as the AS sub variants so you could have a G-5 and a G-5/AS as well, not forgetting that the G-12 had two versions, one baised on the G-4 and the other on the G-6.

Just trying to be helpful as I have simmilar ideas too  :wacko:

Gondor

NARSES2

Quote from: TomZ on December 31, 2022, 08:38:24 AMAnd only one of the A, B, C and D

TomZ

Whose kits are you looking at for these early marks Tom ? I've got and Avis A but would fancy some other early marks (assuming I get building again)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TomZ

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 01, 2023, 03:24:20 AMWhose kits are you looking at for these early marks Tom ? I've got and Avis A but would fancy some other early marks (assuming I get building again)

109A: Dora Wings. Looks OK in the box
109B: Heller. Old but seems OK
109C: Heller
109D: AMG. Spruces look suspiciously like the Dora wings ones

TomZ

NARSES2

TomZ

Quote from: TomZ on January 01, 2023, 05:36:09 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on January 01, 2023, 03:24:20 AMWhose kits are you looking at for these early marks Tom ? I've got and Avis A but would fancy some other early marks (assuming I get building again)

109A: Dora Wings. Looks OK in the box
109B: Heller. Old but seems OK
109C: Heller
109D: AMG. Spruces look suspiciously like the Dora wings ones

TomZ

A few notes on building the Dora Wings 109A. The model is definitely over engineered in my view.
An engine cover that has an option to be posed open. However the cover parts are way too thick to look believable in 1/72 when open and don't fit AT ALL when posed closed.
Also the engine cover is made up of many parts that are quite fiddly to be made to sit together. All in all for me it is over complicated.

TomZ