My Stash Just Grew Again 2023

Started by NARSES2, December 31, 2022, 05:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

Saw this at the hobby shop and had to pick it up before Kit bought out the entire run.

Excited as I have had a hard time finding a 1/72 U-2 for years, did the minicraft maybe 30 years ago.   

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on December 03, 2023, 06:05:08 AMSaw this at the hobby shop and had to pick it up before Kit bought out the entire run.

I didn't know HobbyBoss had done one! I better get looking!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: Hobbes on December 03, 2023, 04:29:33 AM
Quote from: zenrat on December 01, 2023, 03:57:28 AMDelivered today from Metro Hobbies.  I needed something to ride shotgun with a couple of Mrs z's xmas gifts and there was a sale...

20231201_162920 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

That looks like a what-if. The wheels seem to be modern offroad wheels, not the skinny tires on spoked wheels that were originally used on the RRAC.
It's not, they were in service for a long time and saw numerous changes. Also note that the car on the boxtop is in a WWII Caunter scheme.

jcf

Quote from: zenrat on December 01, 2023, 03:57:28 AMDelivered today from Metro Hobbies.  I needed something to ride shotgun with a couple of Mrs z's xmas gifts and there was a sale...

First thoughts on grokking the sprues is that it is less detailed than the Roden kit but has build options and the moulding is crisper.
This might become an armoured hot rod...
Like a US T8 armoured car?
;D

US T6 - T10 Armored Cars '20s - '30s

Mossie

Quote from: jcf on December 03, 2023, 08:58:05 AM

That looks like a what-if. The wheels seem to be modern offroad wheels, not the skinny tires on spoked wheels that were originally used on the RRAC.
It's not, they were in service for a long time and saw numerous changes. Also note that the car on the boxtop is in a WWII Caunter scheme.

Yep, it reflects some of the WWII variants well, in fact this is where the kit scores on accuracy.

The spoked wheels are included, although you can't get a WWI or 1922 variant out of the box.  The WWI version had a shorter turret and the 1922 had the taller turret but with narrow steel wheels.  I think there may be a few other minor detail differences too. This is what's prevented me getting one, as I'd like to do an earlier variant.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Quote from: sandiego89 on December 03, 2023, 06:05:08 AMSaw this at the hobby shop and had to pick it up before Kit bought out the entire run.

Excited as I have had a hard time finding a 1/72 U-2 for years, did the minicraft maybe 30 years ago.   

Good to see an early U-2.  Like Kit, I only knew of the Airfix kit, nice to see a modern one.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Minicraft did one too, looking as if they'd hacked the Airfix moulds for most of it, but the canopy is way too low.

They're good for longer wing supplies though.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Quote from: Mossie on December 03, 2023, 09:40:41 AM
Quote from: jcf on December 03, 2023, 08:58:05 AM

Yep, it reflects some of the WWII variants well, in fact this is where the kit scores on accuracy.

The spoked wheels are included, although you can't get a WWI or 1922 variant out of the box.  The WWI version had a shorter turret and the 1922 had the taller turret but with narrow steel wheels.  I think there may be a few other minor detail differences too. This is what's prevented me getting one, as I'd like to do an earlier variant.
The vehicle pictured is in North Africa early 1940 ..you can tell also it being WW2 because of the Boys AT rifle..that didn't enter service until 1937 and wad only in production until 1940
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 03, 2023, 10:37:08 AMMinicraft did one too, looking as if they'd hacked the Airfix moulds for most of it, but the canopy is way too low.

They're good for longer wing supplies though.  ;D

If you decide the wings need to be even bigger, HobbyBoss also does one in 1/48th:  U-2R "Dragon Lady" Senior Span
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Rat on December 03, 2023, 10:54:08 AMIf you decide the wings need to be even bigger, HobbyBoss also does one in 1/48th:  U-2R "Dragon Lady" Senior Span

Now THERE'S a thought!  ;D

Regards
Kit

Nick

Met up with Narses and Kitbasher at the London Model Show today. In between looking round the show and going for a pub lunch I bought 3 kits. It was a good day out despite the traffic on the way home.

Airfix 1/72 Mosquito B.XVI - bargain at £10  :thumbsup:

ASK (Art Scale Kit) Velorex 3-wheel car. One is the standard kit which retails at £12 and the Pro version with resin and etch retails at £20. I hope I didn't get the seller in trouble as he only charged me £10 for the pair  :-\  <_<

jcf

Even the 1/72nd scale U-2R/TR-1 kits make it clear how much larger it is compared to the original U-2.

Another classic example of passing off what is actually a new airframe as just another version of the
original aircraft.
;)

PR19_Kit

I used the U-2R/TR1 wings on the third iteration of the PR19, and it's MASSIVE compared to the first two.

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Just scored a 1/48 scale F/A-18F Super Hornet 2 seater. Italeri kit.
Cheap as chips so I ain't complaining 😁
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Wardukw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 03, 2023, 02:39:08 PMI used the U-2R/TR1 wings on the third iteration of the PR19, and it's MASSIVE compared to the first two.
I've got Italeri's 48th U2/TR1 and mate..that's fricken big enough  :wacko: