My Stash Just Grew Again 2023

Started by NARSES2, December 31, 2022, 05:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

The old Airfix F1a dates from 1961.  The Hasegawa was tooled originally in 1968.  Frog reboxed them before the agreement terminated and then they released a copy, which found it's way into a Novo box and in 1996, a Revell one (see also Shattipus, Skua and Cranberry B(I)8).
Hasegawa performed a minor upgrade on their Lightning in the mid 80s, adding gun ports and blisters, whilst the cockpit was given the luxury of a blank instrument panel, a floor and a stick.  This found it's way into a Revell box sometime in the last ten years.
Easy to tell the two boxings apart, as the Novo had a camouflaged 11sqn example whilst the Hasegawa had the grey and red 5 Sqn one.
I don't mind the crudeness of either of this kits.  I loathe the fit of the Matchbox and the fact that some of the stencil detail is represented as raised detail.  Some bits are nice but overalll... I'll stick to the older ones.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

The Sword F3 is quite nice, I've half built one, and it compares favourably with the Airfix F2A/F6 pairings.

As Dizzy says, the Airfix 'F3' is diabolical, being nothing more than their ancient F1 kit with a broad chord fin added! :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

I agree with both Lee and Kit about the Lightnings although I have yet to build either of the Sword T birds I have in the stash. Kuwait and Saudi T birds can be built using either Airfix modern kit along with the Odd & Ordinance conversion set.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

Received this evening via eBay

1 x 1/72 Special Hobby SH 72438 A.W. Meteor NF Mk.11 'RAF Squadrons'
1 x 1/72 Special Hobby SH 72364 A.W. Meteor NF Mk.14 'The Last of Night Fighters'

and I have just ordered another NF.11 to turn into a Mk.13, I think all the bits are on the sprues after a quick look over them.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

DogfighterZen

First of the Ebay auction wins of about a week ago from a thoughtful private seller from Germany... the candy was obviously devoured right after the pic was taken...  ;D

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Bungle

Quote from: The Wooksta! on December 17, 2023, 04:04:00 PMAnd then found I'd won the following on the Bay of E
Revell Junkers Ju 290

And said kit is winging its way to you ! Another one out of the stash.  ;D
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

The Wooksta!

Magic, thank you.

It's likely to end up as two Ju 390s.  I have another Revell one bought at Telford and a Contrail Ju 390 that needs a lot of detail bits. It works out cheaper to chop up a Revell 290 but what's left is enough to extend another 290.
There's at least one conversion article out there on t'interweb. It's just a pity the builder put all the effort in and got it wrong.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Pellson

Quote from: The Wooksta! on December 18, 2023, 09:21:03 AMThe old Airfix F1a dates from 1961.  The Hasegawa was tooled originally in 1968.  Frog reboxed them before the agreement terminated and then they released a copy, which found it's way into a Novo box and in 1996, a Revell one (see also Shattipus, Skua and Cranberry B(I)8).
Hasegawa performed a minor upgrade on their Lightning in the mid 80s, adding gun ports and blisters, whilst the cockpit was given the luxury of a blank instrument panel, a floor and a stick.  This found it's way into a Revell box sometime in the last ten years.
Easy to tell the two boxings apart, as the Novo had a camouflaged 11sqn example whilst the Hasegawa had the grey and red 5 Sqn one.
I don't mind the crudeness of either of this kits.  I loathe the fit of the Matchbox and the fact that some of the stencil detail is represented as raised detail.  Some bits are nice but overall... I'll stick to the older ones.

Thanks a lot Lee (and Alistair and Kit)
I wasn't aware that the "later" Frog kit was a rip-off. There you go!
Re the Matchbox - yes, the raised detail is outright stupid, and the wings have an annoying tendency to droop, but as said, it was my only option back in the day when international shopping basically wasn't. And I came to like the general shape, plus there is the twoseater..

Anyway - I'll mull on this for a bit. Thanks!
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

The Wooksta!

The T55 is the better of the two matchbox kits, but only just.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

zenrat

Received this yesterday from Evil-Bay.

57 Daihatsu Midget by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

And then at the opposite end of the car size spectrum I went to a club meeting and was given this by a member who knew I was after another one.

Bugatti Royale by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

As I'm staying only 3.5 miles away, I visited the Big H today. Not my first time there of course, but the place never ceases to AMAZE me just how huge it is. The aisles are 25+ yrds  long, and have racks to the 15 ft ceiling on BOTH sides of each aisle, and there's maybe 15 aisles, all STUFFED with plastic kits.

As an example they had NINETY ONE Kotare Spitfire 1 kits on the shelves, and NINE big boxes, each containing FOUR 1/32 scale Lancaster kits.  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o

I went there to get some 15 and 20 thou styrene actually, but somehow managed to come away with a Roden 1/144 scale C-133 Cargomaster complete with Thor IRBM, and a Mikr-Mir Martin XB-51, as you do.  ;D  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Oh yes, and for those of you impatiently waiting for the Dora Wings Fairey FD2, they haven't got it there yet. I not only looked for it, but asked as well, and the guy there said they had 134 people on the waiting list!  :o

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 19, 2023, 10:18:24 AMOh yes, and for those of you impatiently waiting for the Dora Wings Fairey FD2, they haven't got it there yet. I not only looked for it, but asked as well, and the guy there said they had 134 people on the waiting list!  :o

Bah! We outnumber them easily. Gird your loins for battle, we attack at dawn!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

The Wooksta!

I can wait, I have several Novo ones to play with should I feel the urge .

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

chrisonord

I want at least 1 possibly 2 FD 2's, Inwant to do a dedicated interceptor version, or two. Dora kits would be nice, but more than happy with an old Novo one.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!