Classic AMT Airwolf (OOB)

Started by Faust, January 16, 2023, 05:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

Quick question: What's black and white and is technologically -inconsistent-with-modern-military-hardware all over? Think about it... Nothing? Okay, I'll give you a hint; it's also retro-as-heck (and involves Ernest Borgnine). No? Well, if you're stuck, I forgive you. If you're not, though,  you've already reached the right answer:
Airwolf!!

This ridiculously overpowered Bell 222 was one of the most popular of the '80s TV supervehices, and with Hellfire missiles, machine guns and afterburners, it tore up the screen in the mid-80s! No wonder then that Airwolf was also made available as a model, since kids were still into modelling at that time.

I came across this particular kit recently and thought that the winter was a perfect time to dive into some cool retro '80s sci-fi. Check out this decent, although somewhat minimal-effort offering from AMT at the link below, and make sure you've got your mesh T-Shirt on and synth ready while you do it!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/amt-1-48-airwolf-oob/

AeroplaneDriver

Absolutely loved this show in the 80s.  Years later in my aviation career I ran into a friend of the guy who flew the helo for the show.  He said with all the fiberglass that tacked onto it it was lucky to see 90 knots.    ;D  ;D  ;D

Still loved the show though and will be watching this build! 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Devilfish

I remember building that kit in the 90's.  More recently I built the much better Aoshima kit.

Wardukw

I had this kit donkeys years ago and yup it sucked ..typical AMT of the times but back then there was nothing else ...but it was still so cool and I watched every episode when I was a young one.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Captain Canada

I've got one in the stash. Airwolf defo needs a rotor upgrade tho
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Wooksta!

I have the remains of several but over the years, two of the very similar Hobbycraft Bell 222B and the super new tool Aoshima kit.

It's not bad, builds okay, but the guns look awful deployed, the undercarriage is very simplified and the rotor head is crude. Plenty o scope for extra detailing, especially underneath as it's simply blank.

It's real problem are the camera fairings above the turbo thrusters. They flare out too much at the base and it makes her look squashed from the front. IMO the Aoshima has the same issue.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Weaver

Quote from: Faust on January 16, 2023, 05:17:34 PMand with Hellfire missiles, machine guns and afterburners, it tore up the screen in the mid-80s!

If I remember correctly, the spec sheet that flashed up on screen during the credits claimed the loadout to be ten Bullpups (oddly) and two Sidewinders: all fired from the three, three-foot long tubes that flicked out of the belly. Not a bad trick since a Sidewinder is nine feet long!  ;D  Almost as good as the telescoping gun barrels: it's amazing how the military STILL havn't cottoned on to that simple trick... ;)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Devilfish

Quote from: Weaver on January 26, 2023, 01:24:12 AM
Quote from: Faust on January 16, 2023, 05:17:34 PMand with Hellfire missiles, machine guns and afterburners, it tore up the screen in the mid-80s!

If I remember correctly, the spec sheet that flashed up on screen during the credits claimed the loadout to be ten Bullpups (oddly) and two Sidewinders: all fired from the three, three-foot long tubes that flicked out of the belly. Not a bad trick since a Sidewinder is nine feet long!  ;D  Almost as good as the telescoping gun barrels: it's amazing how the military STILL havn't cottoned on to that simple trick... ;)

Anything was possible in the 80's!  We had a 200mph turbine powered indestructible Trans Am, A Gazelle that thought it was a stealth Apache, a pair of "undercover" cops that stood out like a sore thumb in their Ferrari and a bunch of war criminals righting wrongs but never actually shooting anybody....And that's just the believable stuff!

Weaver

Quote from: Devilfish on January 26, 2023, 01:29:18 AM

Anything was possible in the 80's!  We had a 200mph turbine powered indestructible Trans Am, A Gazelle that thought it was a stealth Apache, a pair of "undercover" cops that stood out like a sore thumb in their Ferrari and a bunch of war criminals righting wrongs but never actually shooting anybody....And that's just the believable stuff!

Uh-huh: I've literally just been looking up the Yamaha XT500s with machine-guns in their front indicators from For Your Eyes Only (1981):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogCTonrtlvQ

Wanted one then, and still do.... ;D  ;D  ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Devilfish

Quote from: Weaver on January 26, 2023, 01:53:39 AM
Quote from: Devilfish on January 26, 2023, 01:29:18 AM

Uh-huh: I've literally just been looking up the Yamaha XT500s with machine-guns in their front indicators from For Your Eyes Only (1981):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogCTonrtlvQ

Wanted one then, and still do.... ;D  ;D  ;D

Never mind that...what about Streethawk?

This is Jesse Mach, an ex-motorcycle cop, injured in the line of duty. Now a police troubleshooter, he's been recruited for a top secret government mission to ride Street Hawk -- an all-terrain attack motorcycle designed to fight urban crime, capable of incredible speeds up to three hundred miles an hour, and immense firepower. Only one man, federal agent Norman Tuttle, knows Jesse Mach's true identity. The man...the machine...Street Hawk.

PR19_Kit

THREE hundred miles per hour? On a motorbike?  :-\
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 26, 2023, 06:01:28 AMTHREE hundred miles per hour? On a motorbike?  :-\

And a trail bike weighed down with a load of "sci-fibreglass" at that... ;D

The stunt riders always used to turn Street Hawk around by holding the front brake on and dramatically skidding the back wheel around in a circle, even if there was enough room for a conventional U-turn. They did it so often that it became known as the "Street Hawk Turn" and real life boy-racers began to practice it along with wheelies and stoppies. At the time, everyone just assumed that they did it because it looked cool. It only came out after the show had finished that the real reason the stunt riders developed the Street Hawk Turn was that the fibreglass bodywork restricted the steering lock so badly that it was the ONLY way to turn the bike around without looking like a little old lady on a moped... ;D

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

scooter

The 80s were a weird and wonderful time for prime time TV.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

They were a weird and wonderful time for almost everything elseas well!  ;D  ;)

Regards
Kit