A pair of F-102D Super Deuces

Started by Pellson, January 17, 2023, 02:59:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellson

No DK this time, unfortunately, but on the upside - there's time to complete these two big deltas.

The Danish Deuce is hopefully on short finals as I've added a matt layer this afternoon. With a little bit more than just a slight luck, that's enough, and she's ready for display tomorrow. Should I have missed a patch, well, then it'll take some patching up, naturally..  ;)

Anyway - first impression is quite positive so I'm quite satisfied as I call this a day. And that's something in itself.

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Pellson

...and we're on ground.

Here's the first of the Super Deuces, and I really think it turned out well.

You cannot view this attachment.

As can be seen, it's the Danish Deuce, the Vàgar Viking, and while sporting the grey over grey Danish Viper scheme, it's red tail art and red/white roundels really make things a lot more pleasing to the eye.

I'm really happy with the way the shortened and enlarged intakes worked out. It is still very much a Deuce rather than a Six, but the engine substitution works.

I'm also quite happy with the external Sidewinder missiles. They really bring out the massive size of the aircraft in addition to emphasising the late service date.

A mean beak, that one, and the unusual divided windscreen (or entire lack thereof) is also a peculiar feature of this aircraft as well as of the Six.

So, in conclusion:
- a quick and fun build
- the kit went together quite nicely, obviously with the exception of those weapon bay doors. Better fit than expected.
- red-on-grey is always a hit, and this is no exception.
- a nice addition to my air group, and a not too obvious whif.

I'm pleased.

Wardukw

Lovely build..simple and clean which makes it harder for the unknowing that it's a wiff..Lovely  ;D  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

SPINNERS

Loving the Danish Deuce! Could you point me in the direction of the fin marking? I'm imagining that on a Lightning.

63cpe

Love that Danish deuce! great idea. Congrats on finishing Pellson!

David aka 63cpe

Pellson

Quote from: SPINNERS on January 27, 2023, 11:31:12 AMLoving the Danish Deuce! Could you point me in the direction of the fin marking? I'm imagining that on a Lightning.

It's the tailart from an American Air Defense Command Fighter Interceptor Sqn, namely the 68th FIS. I haven't been able to find a good photo or drawing, but you might be able to digitise something from the photo I took of the decals? That can be found in >>THIS POST<<.
Otherwise, I would be happy to take a better pic of my model.

scooter

Quote from: SPINNERS on January 27, 2023, 11:31:12 AMLoving the Danish Deuce! Could you point me in the direction of the fin marking? I'm imagining that on a Lightning.

SPINNERS, here's the "best" copy of the squadron patch(< direct LINK!) I could find.  Its the same size (and probably the same image) that's on the 68th's USAF Historical Research Agency page for the squadron (inactivated 4/01)
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Tophe

congratulations for the final aspect :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

That has come out really well  :bow:  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

The Danish Deuce looks great, esp. with the recycled tail artwork.  :thumbsup:

SPINNERS

Quote from: scooter on January 27, 2023, 02:19:25 PM

SPINNERS, here's the "best" copy of the squadron patch(< direct LINK!) I could find. 

Thanks mate - much appreciated.

DogfighterZen

Looks very good indeed! Congrats, Pellson! I've never paid much attention to the F-102/106 but your builds are making me look again... :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Pellson

Quote from: DogfighterZen on January 28, 2023, 05:10:27 AMLooks very good indeed! Congrats, Pellson! I've never paid much attention to the F-102/106 but your builds are making me look again... :thumbsup:

That's a very nice compliment, thanks.  :wub:
I liked the old kit. A quick and enjoyable build. Get one. (Or two..;) )