A pair of F-102D Super Deuces

Started by Pellson, January 17, 2023, 02:59:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: mat on January 18, 2023, 02:15:02 AMVagar as a F-102D base !! That would really put the pilots to a test on every mission. I have landed on Vagar a couple of times, and to do so you have to first fly in through a narrow fiord. So narrow, that you can see whats is being served at dinner in the houses in the village of Vagar. At the end of the fiord you make af sharp turn to the right and slam the wheels down on the short runway - which by the way slopes downway towards a lake.
You cannot view this attachment.   
Vagar Airfield

Fond memories of the 80s-90s. It is a bit narrow, yes, and the approach has a bend in the middle of it too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Vagar seems to  need  arrestor wires and a  suitable amphibious crash tender.  Perhaps something Stalwart based?      IIRC, in Whiffworld ,  RAF Gan is supposed to have had the ideal vehicle.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on January 18, 2023, 11:57:45 AMVagar seems to  need  arrestor wires and a  suitable amphibious crash tender.  Perhaps something Stalwart based?      IIRC, in Whiffworld ,  RAF Gan is supposed to have had the ideal vehicle.

They had two Stollies at Gan in the RW too.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Pellson

Painting is ongoing. And me, not being too keen on too grey aircraft camouflages is swaying more and more towards the Hellenic rather than the Danish Super Deuce. Buuuuuut - the Dane will have its colourful tail fin and bright roundels whereas the Greek national insignia are significantly more dull. Who knows - it might weigh up. But that Dane is damned grey right now..

The Greek machine, on the other hand seems outright sprightly in comparison.

That said, and in particular on the Mediterranean marauder, the paint is just not covering yet. But looking at actual Aegean Ghosts, their paint isn't the best maintained I've seen.

Now - I'm totally crap at weathering, as we have established. Should I just instead leave this as is, move on with painting the radome and exhaust and then varnish and decal? Opinions?
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

NARSES2

I'm also useless at weathering and don't do it on my models. My get out is that the model is displayed as it was just before a visiting senior officer's, royal personage, senior politician's inspection and thus had been cleaned up for that. Therefore personally I'd give it another coat.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Looking good although maybe another coat of each colour to hide the brush marks?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Dizzyfugu

Elegant and interesting choice of livery for the Deuce!  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

That does look very 'Greek'. Their A-7s looked absolutely TERRIBLE toward the end of their service!  :-\

Regards
Kit

Pellson

Pitots on. For the time being, as experience would have it.. :rolleyes:
I also got the drop tanks on the Greek machine. They do make a difference, interestingly. I'm still undecided on whether to give her another coating or not. As it is now, it seems to be the best shot on a "weathered" appearance I've ever reached, so I'm a bit tempted just to let it stay only for that reason. And I can always amend later.
Then again - sacrificing a perfectly good set of decals.. hmmm...

The Danish Deuce is getting another layer in any case, and I have some detail painting left on both machines anyway. But I did the steel engine area. Just the blackened outermost end left. But that's for another day. Tomorrow, maybe?

Pellson

Still undecided on the state of paint of the Greek Deuce. I think I might complete some touching up of canopy, the new pylons (see my main blog) and then just go for a matt coating just to see where things end up. If ok, then gloss Johnson's for the decals, and then a new matt coat on top. Paint is cheap..  :rolleyes:

Captain Canada

Sweet ! Always liked these machines
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

IIRC Hellenic Air Force aircraft tend be on the scruffy side.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Pellson

I've decided to take my chances on the badly kept Hellenic Deuce. Hence, we now have a pair of Deuces ready for varnish and decals. That'll have to wait until tomorrow, though, 'cause I want to give the enamel plenty of time to dry completely before sealing it in with Johnson's.

Anyway - so far, so good! While I'm pretty sure of how the Dane will come out, it will be an adventure with the Greek. We'll see tomorrow.

DogfighterZen

Looking good X2! The patchy look suits the Greek machine. :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Pellson

Decals on the Dane! I'll varnish them in tomorrow and then hopefully have time to add the matte layer as well.

The Greek will have to take the backseat for a day or two. We're hopefully driving to Denmark on Thursday, and it would be cool to have some Danish models to show off. So there's a Hunter and a Starfighter on turn before any Mediterranean adventures.