Spray away!

Started by The Rat, January 22, 2023, 02:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

I wish I could, but sadly I left the cans of the spray that I use behind when I came out to my 'country home' this trip. :(

I thought it was called something like 'Krystal Klear' but it turns out that's one of the Micro range of products. Amazon have no less than SEVEN pages of acrylic spray varnishes, and I guess I'll have to test one of them. I'll report back.............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Thanks Kit.

I will have to print a test sheet of transfers and carry out some experiments.  I will try thinner and fewer coats of my acrylic clear and also give Tamiya TS clear a try.
It doesn't help matters that I just changed the paper I use so that might also be affecting things.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rick Lowe

I use the Micro Decal Film stuff. Goes on with a brush, and if you're not too heavy-handed makes a nice thin transfer. Pretty durable, too - voice of (ham-handed) experience.  ;)
Brushes need to be cleaned in lacquer thinner or similar, instructions on the bottle.

Can take a bit to get it to release from the backing, though once the edge gets loose it's all ok.

zenrat

Thanks Rick.
I've tried that stuff.  When brushed on to home printed transfers it caused the ink to run.  It's too thick to spray and I don't know it can be thinned.
Works if brushed on to recover old transfers though.  Well, some of the time.  Doesn't seem to work on Esci sheets.  But does anything?
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Rick Lowe

Some bottles (I have two) seem thinner than others, though each of mine are probably from quite different eras...
IIRC one bottle is clear and printed in red and the other blue and printed in black. (probably TMI, sorry  ;)  )
If the brushes wash in lacquer thinner, maybe that would work for spraying it? Though that may be too harsh for the transfers themselves.

PR19_Kit

I got some clear acrylic spray a couple of days ago, and having tested it I'm pretty pleased.

It's called 'AZ Varnish AK1012 Gloss' and it comes with two spray nozzles, one course, one fine. DON'T use the course, black one, as it produces an instant orange peel look. Go for the yellow, fine nozzle, that's a lot better.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

AeroplaneDriver

I grab the free paint stirring sticks at the hardware store for a similar purpose. 

Before and after...

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

zenrat

Free?  Given the rocketing price of timber i'm surprised they can afford to give them away!

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 29, 2023, 06:07:11 AMI got some clear acrylic spray a couple of days ago, and having tested it I'm pretty pleased.

It's called 'AZ Varnish AK1012 Gloss' and it comes with two spray nozzles, one course, one fine. DON'T use the course, black one, as it produces an instant orange peel look. Go for the yellow, fine nozzle, that's a lot better.

Thanks Kit.
I still haven't experimented.  But I need to print some decals for the Farting Falcstang so I will make a couple of sets and experiment with them.
Fred

PR19_Kit

I managed to recover one of my 'Best Varnish' from home over the weekend, it's called 'Keen Crystal Clear' and it looks like this.

You cannot view this attachment.

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

My precioussssss......  ;)