Revell 1:35 Tiger 1 with mine roller.

Started by The Chaos, January 28, 2023, 01:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Very good choice with the tracks ..im very experienced with the Friul model line of tracks and yes Kit me good mate they are metal..white metal and surprisingly soft so very easy to drill and yep you'll probably need to drill every link with a .5mm drill bit...so much fun  :wacko:
I had to use nearly 2 sets for the wiffy Tiger im building for a diorama called Ww2 but not as you know it...it will have a better name  ;D

Gondor I have a technique for working with those tracks..when I putting them together I just use the wire..uncut and pliers ..no holes in fingers..yep..been there ..done that  ;D
I cut about 2 to 3 mm above the link and carry on..a little dab of super glue and then cut the end off..nice and clean.  :thumbsup:
Then I burn em after giving them a bloody good clean..gets rid of the shine and makes em ten times easier to weather.
I use Ammo's white metal burnishing fluid..works great.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

Oh, Lord! :o

That brings back memories of my RAM M-41, for which I went through the trauma of Fruil tracks.

White metal with wire pins, & I had to trim/file & drill every bloody one of them! :banghead:  :banghead:

Still, the result was, actually, worth the psychological damage. ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

It's the sag..just the sag...plastic tracks just don't give you the affect of a couple tons of steel sitting there.

Helpful hint to anyone who's using these tracks and have to drill em..Dremel lads...5mm bit and just hold it against your stomach and slowly feed the track link on it and keep the speed high..you've always got spare links so your safe and trust me ive done this dozens of times so far ..not just me mind you..other ppls models as well..i wasn't that rich  ;D
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Gondor

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on February 11, 2023, 10:35:26 AMGondor I have a technique for working with those tracks..when I putting them together I just use the wire..uncut and pliers ..no holes in fingers..yep..been there ..done that  ;D
I cut about 2 to 3 mm above the link and carry on..a little dab of super glue and then cut the end off..nice and clean.  :thumbsup:

So glue the hull side so it can't be seen and cut to length  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on February 11, 2023, 10:35:26 AMThen I burn em after giving them a bloody good clean..gets rid of the shine and makes em ten times easier to weather.

I don't get this, suerly burning them will cause them to melt or do you mean burnish them?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Quote from: Gondor on February 12, 2023, 04:07:21 AMI don't get this, suerly burning them will cause them to melt or do you mean burnish them?

Gondor

I think he means burnish Alistair as the following sentence mentions " Ammo's white metal burnishing fluid"
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 12, 2023, 06:02:10 AM
Quote from: Gondor on February 12, 2023, 04:07:21 AMI don't get this, suerly burning them will cause them to melt or do you mean burnish them?

Gondor

I think he means burnish Alistair as the following sentence mentions " Ammo's white metal burnishing fluid"

It's tank stuff and I don't normally do tank stuff and even when I do it's been that long ago that I am so far behind in techniques and methods that its almost a different hobby  :-\

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

NARSES2

Quote from: Gondor on February 12, 2023, 06:18:30 AMIt's tank stuff and I don't normally do tank stuff and even when I do it's been that long ago that I am so far behind in techniques and methods that its almost a different hobby  :-\

Gondor

I know exactly what you mean, and naval stuff is even worse. As for cars and trucks etc, I've absolutely no idea about real ones let alone models  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Chaos

Old Wombat

Have you gone insane, yet, Chaos? Or only half-mad? :blink:  ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Ya think that's bad Guy ..try doing that on a russian t-35 ot the Morser Karl models..and yes I have and yep insanity does play a big part  :wacko:
The worst ones I've built for size was for a Hanomag 1 ton halftrack..their small as crap ...not doing those again..predrilling all those .3mm holes ...it's scarey when ya think a .5mm drill bit is like a power pole compared to the .3 .. that's how small these track links are.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

They also weight a heap to..the tracks alone can nearly double the weight of a model .

Gondor

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on February 19, 2023, 12:20:08 PMThey also weight a heap to..the tracks alone can nearly double the weight of a model .

The only tank that I have put metal tracks onto had that happen as well but you can't beat them for their realistic drape.

But you have to carefully move your tank around as the tracks can make a mess of what the tank is sitting on, just like the real things can

:banghead:

Gondor

Captain Canada

Wow ! Lot's of bits going into this one ! Nice work.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Wardukw

Quote from: Gondor on February 19, 2023, 01:43:13 PM
Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on February 19, 2023, 12:20:08 PMThey also weight a heap to..the tracks alone can nearly double the weight of a model .

The only tank that I have put metal tracks onto had that happen as well but you can't beat them for their realistic drape.

But you have to carefully move your tank around as the tracks can make a mess of what the tank is sitting on, just like the real things can

:banghead:

Gondor
The drape is the thing ..real tank tracks can weight more than 2 tons pur side and rubber model tracks can't duplicate that especially with German armour where the tracks are very visible.
When it comes to Allied armour like Sherman's or M-24s and the like it was common practice to keep the tracks tight so rubber tracks work great for that and AM Sherman tracks suck to build but I prefer metal tracks for the heavies ..M-26 ..King Tiger and so on...sag matters people   ;D