Main Menu

Modified X Wing

Started by Wardukw, January 30, 2023, 11:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

That's coming along really nicely  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Fantastic work going on there, Phill! Waiting expectantly for the finished product! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Cheers guys  ;D  ;D
Dizzy it sounds like a goodin mate and yours I'll bet wouldn't be the only one with a tinted canopy ..well the ones in the movies were so there ya go  :thumbsup:
I've eliminated the landing gear as well as im gluing the wings in their attack position..one to stop the bloody things moving and it will make em much easier to paint.
Paint wise I'm going with an idea that Fred gave me..splinter camo .
I've decided that even tho this will be a rebel alliance craft it will be flown by a special forces type unit ..and that's as far as the idea has gone so far  <_<
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Dizzyfugu

Design-wise, I was really disappointed with both the redesign and the various paint schemes from the Ep. 7-9 X-Wings, esp. Poe's black-and-orange livery did look and feel so non-SW to me, revolting. Curious how your splinter-type cammo will look like - maybe "Fields and Meadows" for Endor?  ;)

Wardukw

That's a bloody good question Thomas..ive asked myself what the hell this will look like and what colours to use ...ive still got no idea  ;D
I was thinking about the colour changes that the new X wings have and WW1 and 2 crossed my mind where the super pilots changed their aircraft colours to stand out from the not so good pilots so when the enemy saw them they knew they where in trouble or that's how the Rebel alliance got em and haven't been bothered to paint them after all it's that red lines which denote Red5 and so on.
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Dizzyfugu

AFAIK, the "official" scheme is an overall white/light grey, and the colors vary to depict different squadrons - a practice also seen on other Rebel fighters.

Concerning camouflage...  :unsure:

Snowtrooper

Regarding splinter camo, there's a quick blink-and-you-miss-it shot in the new Andor series, Saw Guerrera's outfit has an interesting camo on their X-Wings (unless I saw completely wrong). EDIT: Episode 11 of the season has them visible. EDIT 2: google "andor partisan x-wing" if you don't want to subscribe to D+ just for reference...

Wardukw

Su27 ..cheers matey  ;D

Yesterday I actually thought of a British camo job but the very next thought was I'll bet someone has already done that.. and yup and I saw some pics of the black and white paint jobs and it's quite cool but I don't want black and white ..it's to boring and it's been done .
I'll think of something as it's getting bloody close to that time ..I'll paint the cockpit tomorrow.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Snowtrooper on February 02, 2023, 08:34:38 AMRegarding splinter camo, there's a quick blink-and-you-miss-it shot in the new Andor series, Saw Guerrera's outfit has an interesting camo on their X-Wings (unless I saw completely wrong). EDIT: Episode 11 of the season has them visible. EDIT 2: google "andor partisan x-wing" if you don't want to subscribe to D+ just for reference...

That's quite attractive!

Wardukw

I do like that ..I'll be honest if I hadn't found the one I'm gonna use a modified version of this would have been on the cards .
The one I did find is futuristic and I think it will look quite good once the colours and size is sorted its gonna look very distinctive  ;D

Weaver

That kind of black and white dazzle might actually be very effective in space (in a Star Wars context, of course), where everything's bright highlights and deep shadow, with no atmosphere to take the edge off the contrast.

You could do sci-fi splinter in any combination of exotic colours, based on the flora of whatever planet you're operating from. Just come up with a broad-brush explanation of what the background looks like to make it 'logical' and you're good.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Weaver on February 03, 2023, 04:00:24 AMThat kind of black and white dazzle might actually be very effective in space (in a Star Wars context, of course), where everything's bright highlights and deep shadow, with no atmosphere to take the edge off the contrast.

I could see this being quite effective in a space environment against a virtually black background, to disrupt the fighter's outlines and alignment, similar to the WWII dazzle ships. I don't think that it is intended to conceal the vehicle?

Dizzyfugu

Maybe another inspiration - though it's not a fractal/splinter scheme: the only dedicated space camouflage I have so far come across is/was in the Macross universe, for Valkyries based on the moon:

Macross +++ 1:100 Stonewell/Bellcom VF-1JS 'Super Valkyrie'; aircraft 'MA 200', personal mount of Flight Leader Lt. Com. Catherine Hojo of the U.N. Spacy SVF-124 'Moon Shooters' fighter squadron; 'Apollo' Lunar Base, early 2012 (ARII kit conversion)
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Macross +++ 1:100 Stonewell/Bellcom VF-1JS 'Super Valkyrie'; aircraft 'MA 200', personal mount of Flight Leader Lt. Com. Catherine Hojo of the U.N. Spacy SVF-124 'Moon Shooters' fighter squadron; 'Apollo' Lunar Base, early 2012 (ARII kit conversion)
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The model is pretty convluted, so the paint scheme is hard to discern. The undersides are black (againts the "moon sky"), while the upper side is camouflaged in two light grey (but not bluish) tones, in a similar fashion to the USAF F-15s. Looks odd, but it's quite effective for operations over Earth's moon surface.