Main Menu

The 1950's GB Rules

Started by NARSES2, February 01, 2023, 06:30:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Here are draft rules for the 1950's GB, please discuss.

Chris

THE 1950's GB RULES

1.   The 1950's GB runs from 00:01 Wednesday 1 March 2023 to 23:59 Wednesday 31 May 2023 (all times local).  An extension may or may not be considered/set up according to demand and or pecuniary overtures.

2 Physical models of any scale, profiles, and stories are eligible but your subject must be a whif that was either built, designed, proposed, considered or used during the 1950's. Subjects in use post 1959 are not eligible.

Your whiff can be as simple (change of markings or camo scheme) or as complex (full on kit bashing) as you wish.  If in doubt as to what's in scope then contact the Mods.

3)  You may build, draw or write as many entries as you like (good luck!).  The posting of in-progress pictures is encouraged as always.  Back stories - however long or short - supporting physical models and profiles are always welcome.

4) "Preparation" work is allowed prior to the start of the GB - this includes the cutting out and cleaning up of parts, even designing and printing your own decals, but anything involving paint or glue is not allowed.

5) Eligibility of part-started models will be considered by the moderators. You should pm to explain what you have done (pictures are a great help if you can include them) and they will decide, their decision being final.

6) No rule 6 - is there ever a rule 6 ? It's one rule or another so from now on it's 6

7) Your Moderators are Crudebuteffective and Crudebuteffective the Younger. Thank you, gentlemen.

8. The completed builds thread will be locked at the end of the GB and shortly afterwards the poll will be set up. The number of votes each member will get depends on the number of entries.  Keep your eyes out for updates!

9) As decided earlier in the year by the Membership the first three placed entries in the Group Build will automatically be nominated for a Whiffy in a new, specific Group Build Class.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

It all sounds perfectly reasonable to me, Chris.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

kitbasher

Thanks, Chris

Can I suggest looking again at Rule 4 and  instead consider using the logistics GB wording:

4.  Preparation work is allowed prior to the start of the GB but is limited to removal and cleaning up of parts from sprues, casting blocks or cutting out vacform parts from their backing sheet, even designing and printing your own decals.  Anything involving modification of parts, test fitting, pre-painting and actual assembly is not allowed prior to the start of the GB.

Yours,

Dave
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

zenrat

So is that 1950's our time line?  :mellow:

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 02, 2023, 03:46:33 AM
Quote from: zenrat on February 02, 2023, 02:33:04 AMSo is that 1950's our time line?  :mellow:

Bags of scope, eh?   ;)

Especially if it's read as meaning 1950s BC/BCE as well as 1959s AD/CE  ;)  :wacko:
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on February 02, 2023, 02:33:04 AMSo is that 1950's our time line?  :mellow:

I do have a view on that, but I'll leave it to the moderators for a decision.

Quote from: kitbasher on February 02, 2023, 04:29:27 AMEspecially if it's read as meaning 1950s BC/BCE as well as 1959s AD/CE  ;)  :wacko:

I very nearly incorporated that into the draft rules, but didn't on the basis of being considered a "smart alek"   :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Smart Aleks* Unanimous, that's us! ;D

[*: The polite version.]
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 02, 2023, 05:58:23 AM

I do have a view on that, but I'll leave it to the moderators for a decision.

Quote from: kitbasher on February 02, 2023, 04:29:27 AMEspecially if it's read as meaning 1950s BC/BCE as well as 1959s AD/CE  ;)  :wacko:

I very nearly incorporated that into the draft rules, but didn't on the basis of being considered a "smart alek"   :angel:

What's your point, Chris? 😉😂

Joe C-P

Trying to remember what's in the stash, which is presently in a storage unit since we downsized house.  Lot's of possibilities of leftover WW2 ships and aircraft, even a few WW1 warships in smaller countries that might have been updated. 
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

scooter

So I need a ruling from the mods.  Would something in the style of a B Movie poster be kosher?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

sandiego89

Might be best to specifically state if something from the 1950's in later service is eligible or not, or if something from the 1940's (or earlier) but still serving in the 1950's is eligible.  Looks like Dizzy was asking about a F-106 (first flight 1959) but in later Vietnam service. 

Either:

2 Physical models of any scale, profiles, and stories are eligible but your subject must be a whif that was either built, designed, proposed, considered or used during the 1950's.  Subjects from this era, but serving in later service are allowed (eg: a B-52 in 2023, a 1950's Havana taxi still being used).  Subjects from earlier eras, but in service in the 1950's are allowed (eg: a DC-3 flying for Rhodesian airlines in 1956).

or

2 Physical models of any scale, profiles, and stories are eligible but your subject must be a whif that was either built, designed, proposed, considered or used and in service during the 1950's.  Subjects from this era, but in later use are not permitted (eg: a EE Lightning in 1972 service with Switzerland is not eligible)   

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Dizzyfugu

Exactly. I'd prefer a wider scope, but that's just me.  :angel:

sandiego89

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 08, 2023, 07:13:40 AMExactly. I'd prefer a wider scope, but that just me.  :angel:

Gotcha, I usually prefer a tighter scope- but all good!  Just best to clarify before we get too set on our victim. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

crudebuteffective

Quote from: kitbasher on February 02, 2023, 04:29:27 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 02, 2023, 03:46:33 AM

Bags of scope, eh?   ;)

Especially if it's read as meaning 1950s BC/BCE as well as 1959s AD/CE  ;)  :wacko:

THE MODS WILL GET BACK TO YOU ASAP
Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?