1950's GB - General Discussion

Started by NARSES2, February 01, 2023, 06:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

This will be the place for your general chit chat regarding the 1950's GB

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

Sorry I don't understand Rule 2) ;
"2/ Physical models of any scale, profiles, and stories are eligible but your subject must be a whif that was either built, designed, proposed, considered or used during the 1950's. Your whiff can be as simple (change of markings or camo scheme) or as complex (full on kit bashing) as you wish.  If in doubt as to what's in scope then contact the Mods.".
The word that disturb me is "was". You know this is Shakespeare main question: "to be or not to be?". I mean: is this only for Real machines of the 1950s or Real projects of the 1950s? Forbidding inventions 2023 of what could have been designed in the 1950's (in some whif universe)? It seems contradictory to me for a whif GB, but my vow would have probably used the words "was (or would have been)", no?
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Dizzyfugu

Ah, already got an idea for a quick first entry for this GB.  :mellow:

kitbasher

Hi Tophe,

In answer to your question it's very definitely whifs.  They could be based on real items that may have existed, or simply figments of a whiffer's fertile imagination.

No different from anything else - GB or not GB (he said, also veering into Shakespeare territory) - we see on the forum.

That's my take, anyway.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

zenrat

Ah, the English language.

I think I see the sentence troubling you Tophe.  Does it help if it is put like this?

Your subject must be a whif that if it had existed would have been built, designed, proposed, considered or used during the 1950's.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Tophe

Thanks for your answers and explanations, going in the direction that I prefer. I feel better, thanks. ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

kitbasher

Quote from: zenrat on February 02, 2023, 02:30:30 AMAh, the English language.

I think I see the sentence troubling you Tophe.  Does it help if it is put like this?

Your subject must be a whif that if it had existed would have been built, designed, proposed, considered or used during the 1950's.

:thumbsup: Exactly
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on February 02, 2023, 04:26:29 AM

Yup  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

scooter

I've an idea percolating...which also includes extending the Korean War a few more years, and in service dates a little earlier.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

crudebuteffective

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 02, 2023, 05:50:16 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on February 02, 2023, 04:26:29 AM

Yup  :thumbsup:

yep fully agree with this explanation

CBE
Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

Zero-Sen

I may have an idea for this GB...
Quote from: Zero-Sen on March 01, 2018, 02:26:08 PM...
French licence built F-102F as a replacement for the lightweight interceptor program?
Details to notice :
  • shorter, slightly larger intakes
  • shorter weapons bay for two 'clipped wing' variant of the R530
  • two 30mm DEFA in the remaining space
  • wings with notched leading edges (stall fences removed)
  • two SEPR rockets fitted in the tail fairings

AeroplaneDriver

Very much looking forward to this one.  One of my favorite eras of aviation history. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

scooter

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on February 02, 2023, 11:04:44 AMVery much looking forward to this one.  One of my favorite eras of aviation history. 
So much polished aluminum and "think this'll work" attitudes
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Hmmmm, I'm thinking on something X-13 Vertijet based................... ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 02, 2023, 12:58:39 PMHmmmm, I'm thinking on something X-13 Vertijet based................... ;)
Oh,yes, I can Imagine it. An X-13 with U-2 wings.... ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.