1950's GB Finished Entries

Started by NARSES2, February 01, 2023, 06:33:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

This will be the place for your finished entries

Chris

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

scooter

Londthyrian Confederacy Naval Service Sequana-class (ex-Malta class) fleet carrier

Backstory here
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

scooter

Life Magazine cover for 10 December, 1956

A bit more here
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

scooter

When Elves Go To War II: Fratricide

Backstory here
Gone But Not Forgotten

— Groucho Marx

scooter

Londthyrian Confederacy Naval Air Service Douglas F4D-1

Backstory: here
Gone But Not Forgotten

— Groucho Marx

McColm

Whilst the Fairey Rotodyne prototype was undergoing flight trials for the Ministry of Supply in Great Britain a second prototype was shipped over to Kaman Corporation in the USA.
Kaman was working on something very similar to the Rotodyne but due to the military specifications radical changes were required.
The first change was using coaxial rotors, two sets of four blade rotors contra-rotating with small jet engines at each tip. Contra-rotating propellers but kept the Napier Eland turboprops, later replaced by the Hamilton four blade propellers. Roll-on-roll-off providing the cargo space capable of carrying three Army Jeeps or inflatable rigid boats with a compliment of nine combat troops.
This meant that the cockpit was moved on top of the fuselage and could accommodate the pilot,  copilot, radio operator and navigator with two additional jump seats one for the flight engineer and the other one for an observer. Access was via a foldaway ladder through a trap door in the ceiling of the fuselage.
 Flight trials began in 1958 and the USARMY were interested in the lifting capability due to the torque produced, handling became an issue whilst flying in hover mode so with the help of the North American Aircraft Company they installed a fly-by-wire control system and a automated hovering system.
 By the summer of 1958 the Kaman K-9 Helicrane had been moved to the control of the USNAVY. They asked Bell to provide a pair of long-range fuel tanks which could also act as sponsons for alighting on water upto Sea State 3. An automatic search and rescue hoist was attached to the portside crew entrance but later removed. At the rear end of the fuel tanks a towed dipping radar for the detection of submarines and marker bouys could be stored.
Trials with the AN/APS-20 radar installed in the nose gave a better picture in the detection of submerged submarines.
Later two AN/APS-20 radar sets were installed giving an over the horizon Airborne Early Warning platform with an endurance of upto 8 hours depending on the weather conditions.
 By now the noise issues had been addressed with the introduction of a Hush-Kit and the ability to stow the rotor blades.
The Helicrane would take part in the NATO Exercise  Apple Tree '58 at RAF Gibraltar.
 When the British Admiralty saw what the Americans had done to the Rotodyne there was smiles on all their faces, turmoil had struck the British Helicopter community so with a suttle name change the Kaman K-9 Helicrane would be used by the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm,  Royal Air Force,  Royal Marines and the Army Air Corps.
It was during the time that the Canadians got their hands on the Helicrane and out came some nose art, the feedback was good although their government wouldn't commit to placing an order.
It would be SJMcColm Engineering Ltd that would use it's own money to develop the Rotodyne into the Heliplane under Project Ravernclaw.Orders for the Kaman K-9 Helicrane would be signed by the British in 1965 and the US Military.
The prototype 9391 would eventually become the first training Helicrane for would-be pilots retiring in 1975.
Although no commercial variant was ever produced, aircraft of similar specifications were available.
 This is the restored and repainted to the prototype colour scheme used by the British,  USNAVY Viking 701 and CAF 475 as shown in the photos below.
The engines are regularly fired up on the first Monday of each month at the SJMcColm Engineering Ltd Flight of Aviation Museum and there are plans to return it to flight condition.

scooter

Decided on the black and white:

Original, a softened version, and something of a "plot" here
Gone But Not Forgotten

— Groucho Marx

killnoizer

EDIT:
Build by "killnoizer" from north germany

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=51393.msg992131#msg992131

Here is my finished F86- fw.

I would try to reflect the future orientated spirit of the 50's , when the USA  were the leader of the western world in technology and culture , even the design , space age with silver surface , the very long nose , combinated with the olive green Military top of the fuselage,  and the dynamic red line .

I always like the idea of clean and simple desktop modells , and maybe this will went to a friend from USA,  to place it in his Office .
And irritate some visitors ...

Basic kit was a very simple vintage kit in 1:72 , made in Turkey ,  full equiped with NOTHING and real authentic turkish quality standards .

The stand went lost some days ago in the Workshop ( kitchen ) ,  so it is grounded till recovery  :wub:

Please enjoy the shape .

P.S. I can't get it to delete two pix to follow the rules, sorry, i am analog , Computer work is not in my tool box .

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.
It's a Land Rover, NOT a Jeep . Like a Jeep, but for gentlemen.

https://www.spacejunks.com/

sandiego89

Perhaps as a reminder, and for our new members, the usual format for a finished entry is:

-Title of your entry, your user name, and just a sentence or two, save the full backstory for the build thread of your entry. 
(example: MiG-17, Mexican Air Force, by SanDiego89.  Frustrated by western restrictions Mexico turned to the Soviets for a new fighter.  Airfix 1/72 scale.)
-A maximum of three pictures.
-A link to your build/backstory, so if folks want to see the in progress build, backstory, etc. they can just click the link.

This makes things much easier on the moderators and fellow WHIFFERS, especially when it comes time for voting and closing out the Group. 
(Mods please feel free to edit if you desire something else)   

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

AeroplaneDriver

Avro F-95A Grizzly "Can-Nuke"

Following the flutter issues that ended the F-89's useful life as an interceptor in 1954 the USAF desperately needed a stop-gap solution to bridge the gap to the Century Series.  The Canadian Avro CF-100 was chosen and with modifications of US service it entered service as the F-95A Grizzly in 1955.  It's Canadian heritage and frequent carriage of the GAR-7 Pandora nuclear air-to-air missile it was often nicknamed the "Can-Nuke". 

Kit is 1/48 Hobbycraft CF-100 with Tamiya 1/32 Sparrows as fictional Pandora missiles. 

Build thread with more pics and full backstory.  https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=51257.0

edited to post better pics. 

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Wardukw

Yup ..still looks great mate 👍
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

Going to be tough choices again!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

buzzbomb

Wardukw

Love it Buzzy mate..  the paint is wicked good 👍  ;D  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .