1950's GB Finished Entries

Started by NARSES2, February 01, 2023, 06:33:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

That's awesome! Another addition to the tough choices!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

B-59 Strategic Bomber .

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=51300.225

In the early 1950s and with the advent of jet engines it was a time of experimentation in the aircraft world and all sorts of aircraft were built to try and get the most out of these new engines ,,one aircraft which was a total success from the very beginning was the Convair  B-59 Strategic Bomber .
Used for high  altitude bombing at the start with nuclear bombs as its primary weapons load it was seen as a lot of money spent but with out alot of gain ,,,so with ideas started  floating around about  low altitude bombing and this  was tried and tests showed this craft to be extremely fast at over 1000mph achieved at a altitude of 4000ft ,,the lowest altitude flown at speeds exceeding  500 knts was 500 ft ,.
Weapons load out had to change dew to the change from nuclear to conventional bombs was achieved without any unforeseen problems .

DSCF4156 by Phill Harrison, on FlickrDSCF4157 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4167 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

That's nuts! I love it!  :thumbsup: Totally believable too.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Cheers mate  ;D
First one done and none to follow if that makes any sense  :lol:
Could have a go with my MK24 Spitfire..that was still around in the 50s.
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Vulcan7

Very cool looking build, ahead of it's time  :tornado:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

Wardukw

killnoizer

Wow . Some very nice details on that , and a very realistic look .
It's a Land Rover, NOT a Jeep . Like a Jeep, but for gentlemen.

https://www.spacejunks.com/

Wardukw

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

scooter

Backstory (only)!
The Battle of Peter the Great Gulf
-or-
The Glorious First of June (1954)
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

scooter

Londthyrian Confederacy Yorktown-class LHA

Londthyrian Confederacy Navy Ship Helvetii, LHA-4, 195x as assigned to the UN Naval Command during the Korean War.  Formerly LCNS Lupus, CV-4, converted to helicopter carrier along with her sister LCNS Anas CV-3 (renamed LCNS Vindelici, LHA-3) to provide air assault capabilities to the LC Marine Corps.  The LCMC provided pathfinders for the Invasion of Inchon and worked with US and Royal Marines to provide logistical and CASEVAC support to X Corps during the Chosin Reservoir campaign.  LCMC H.19 Chickasaw and HH.1 Morfarch (Seahorse) helicopters were also frequent visitors to US Army MASH units during the conflict.
Thread here
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

PR19_Kit

The Ryan F-98 QRA point defence fighter, and its launcher trailer.

You cannot view this attachment.

The build thread's here :-
https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=51562.0

The Ryan F-98 was built in small numbers in the late 50s specifically to defend Washington DC against sneak attacks by Soviet bombers. Deployed at various prepared sites around the capital, the F-98s only served for some 3-4 yrs at most, but armed with two 20 mm cannon and two AIM-9B Sidewinders, they proved remarkably effective in exercises.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Finally, the first one got pushed over the finish line! I give you Republic's F-96B "Thunderguard", the missing link between the F-84F and the F-105, in this case aircraft 'FF-950 (s/n 59-3950)' of the USAF 325th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, 325th FW; Truax Field (Wisconsin, USA), 1959.

img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52872764414_88cb090938_c.jpg[/img]

More about it here: https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=51388.msg998903#msg998903

scooter

The Londthyrian Confederacy Navy's Yorktown-class LCNS Tyrius, circa 195x.  With her sister, Iber, CV-1, she formed the core of CVBG 2, providing close air support and interdiction of DPRK and PRC forces on the Korean peninsula.  The LCN Yorktowns fought throughout the Second World War, sometimes being used by the US Pacific Fleet to confuse IJN intelligence; as well as the entirety of the Korean Conflict.

During the interwar period (1946-1950), the LCN Yorktowns were stripped of most of their lighter 20mm Oerlikon cannon, retaining 8x2 40mm Bofors, 6x4 40mm Bofors, and 8 5"/38 naval guns. 
Thread here
Gone But Not Forgotten

— Groucho Marx

sandiego89

B-29 Washington, R.A.E. test bed

Two B-29 Washington's were reassigned to the Royal Aircraft Establishment to conduct a variety of engine, weapon and system testing programs, including the testing of the Double Mamba engine on the Fairy Gannet.   

by Sandiego89

Build thread:  https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=51374.0

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA