Irish Air Corps

Started by Geoff, February 03, 2023, 03:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Geoff on March 11, 2023, 02:36:11 AMThe Czech what if site is very good as well but I have lost the link

Wenzel a.k.a. PantherG (to be mostly found in the profiles thread; and there are a lot of nice whiffy CzAF profile drawings to be found) can surely help out!

Scotaidh

Quote from: Beermonster58 on March 12, 2023, 03:29:25 AM
Quote from: Geoff on March 11, 2023, 07:51:27 AM
Quote from: Beermonster58 on March 11, 2023, 01:11:43 AMAllan

ps. Thank you for the positive response. I've been the recipient of some quite unfriendly  and snarky comments elsewhere  ( but, not on this site) from individuals who seem to find the whole concept of a Scottish Republic offensive. I don't understand why. It's purely a fun project and, I make no political comment whatsoever.

Yeah this can be a real pain in the proverbial sometimes. The funniest one for me was when I was criticized for not doing "real" Luft '46 models on Farse Book. I did not have the heart to explain how illogical that is. Also had a guy berating me for about 10 minutes for having the Roo's the wrong way around on my model, (they weren't). The look on his face when I pointed out the model was an F-105D was priceless though. JMNs, rivet counters, Every hobby has 'em. Try taking a rat bike to a concours/owners club meeting.  :thumbsup:  As I said welcome to the nut house.

So true!! :thumbsup: . Actually, the silly comments I recieved previously simply make me more determined to thumb my nose at the rivet counting JMN brigade!! ;)  ;D

Good for you!  I do this solely for my pleasure - the fact that others here also appreciate my creativity is just a bonus - I'd build what I do even if I was the only one doing it.  :)  But, it turns out that there's several folks here building for an independent Scotland - I'm one of them.  :)  Welcome to the madness!  :)

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 12, 2023, 04:27:37 AM
Quote from: Geoff on March 11, 2023, 02:36:11 AMThe Czech what if site is very good as well but I have lost the link

Wenzel a.k.a. PantherG (to be mostly found in the profiles thread; and there are a lot of nice whiffy CzAF profile drawings to be found) can surely help out!

I'll always remember the look on those guy's faces when some  of us lads introduced ourselves to them at the then Prague Show.  They were stunned that there were "others like them"  ;D  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Geoff

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 13, 2023, 03:06:18 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 12, 2023, 04:27:37 AM

I'll always remember the look on those guy's faces when some  of us lads introduced ourselves to them at the then Prague Show.  They were stunned that there were "others like them"  ;D  :thumbsup:

Don't order sausage in German, it translates as something rude  :thumbsup:

Geoff

Random thought - Fokker D-XXI in late 1930's.

Mossie

I can see that, one neutral state to another. :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitbasher

Quote from: Geoff on March 23, 2023, 10:36:17 AMRandom thought - Fokker D-XXI in late 1930's.

Now that is a good idea.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on March 23, 2023, 12:56:24 PM
Quote from: Geoff on March 23, 2023, 10:36:17 AMRandom thought - Fokker D-XXI in late 1930's.

Now that is a good idea.

It is indeed and if you kept the Dutch camouflage colours and simply substituted Irish roundels you'd catch a few people out at a show  ;)

I've a few D-XX1's in the stash, MPM kits, and may well borrow that idea  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Geoff

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 24, 2023, 02:40:55 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on March 23, 2023, 12:56:24 PM

Now that is a good idea.

It is indeed and if you kept the Dutch camouflage colours and simply substituted Irish roundels you'd catch a few people out at a show  ;)

I've a few D-XX1's in the stash, MPM kits, and may well borrow that idea  :thumbsup:

Feel free  :thumbsup:

Beermonster58

After due consideration, I've decided to dust off my Airfix F-84F Thunderstreak and, JP.4 . I found enough Irish roundels for both in my spares box!! Actually, A T.33/ F.80C might look nice similarly bedecked! For my afore mentioned Scottish Republic Air Force, my next item will be the SAAB Viggen. Using the old Airfix kit(s) - I have three of them!. Needless to say, they will be be painted in the colloquially named " haggis and heather" scheme ( based on the Swedish "fields and meadows" scheme).
Have you considered either the SAAB Draken or Viggen for your Irish Air Corps?  I figure that the rough, mountainous Scottish terrain, particularly in the Highlands would be perfect for hiding dispersed aircraft like the Swedes do.
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

Scotaidh

Quote from: Beermonster58 on March 26, 2023, 12:22:25 AMAfter due consideration, I've decided to dust off my Airfix F-84F Thunderstreak and, JP.4 . I found enough Irish roundels for both in my spares box!! Actually, A T.33/ F.80C might look nice similarly bedecked! For my afore mentioned Scottish Republic Air Force, my next item will be the SAAB Viggen. Using the old Airfix kit(s) - I have three of them!. Needless to say, they will be be painted in the colloquially named " haggis and heather" scheme ( based on the Swedish "fields and meadows" scheme).
Have you considered either the SAAB Draken or Viggen for your Irish Air Corps?  I figure that the rough, mountainous Scottish terrain, particularly in the Highlands would be perfect for hiding dispersed aircraft like the Swedes do.

Please, what is this "haggis and heather" camo scheme?  I can't find pics or references to it on-line ... 
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Rheged

Quote from: Scotaidh on March 26, 2023, 04:55:55 AM
Quote from: Beermonster58 on March 26, 2023, 12:22:25 AM
Quote from: Scotaidh on March 26, 2023, 04:55:55 AM
Quote from: Beermonster58 on March 26, 2023, 12:22:25 AMNeedless to say, they will be be painted in the colloquially named " haggis and heather" scheme ( based on the Swedish "fields and meadows" scheme).

Please, what is this "haggis and heather" camo scheme?  I can't find pics or references to it on-line ... 
I figure that the rough, mountainous Scottish terrain, particularly in the Highlands would be perfect for hiding dispersed aircraft like the Swedes do.

My guess (and it's only a guess)  is that haggis and heather is Beermonster's very own  subdued mix of browns, greys, dark greens and purples.  It sounds a logical, sensible arrangement and I look forward to seeing it..............................and possibly borrowing the concept for my own use.  Will the Irish use the  "Colcannon and Guinness" variant ?

The only problem with hiding  dispersed aircraft in the lumpy bits of the Highlands is the scarcity of flat bits long enough to make suitable runways.  Possibly some of the coastal forests might be a goer.  Eire could possibly use the large barns and long straight gallops of racing stables to disperse their aircraft and hide their airbases.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on March 26, 2023, 07:39:18 AMThe only problem with hiding  dispersed aircraft in the lumpy bits of the Highlands is the scarcity of flat bits long enough to make suitable runways. 

Lochs...................

Seaplanes.............

Even applicable to parts of Eire too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 26, 2023, 07:49:25 AM
Quote from: Rheged on March 26, 2023, 07:39:18 AMThe only problem with hiding  dispersed aircraft in the lumpy bits of the Highlands is the scarcity of flat bits long enough to make suitable runways. 

Lochs...................

Seaplanes.............

Harriers
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 26, 2023, 07:49:25 AM

Lochs...................

Seaplanes.............

Do I detect possible operators for the  Saro SR A1?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet