Irish Air Corps

Started by Geoff, February 03, 2023, 03:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 16, 2023, 01:26:02 AM
Quote from: Weaver on February 15, 2023, 01:38:30 AMA problem to note if you're looking for decals:

The easiest source of post-war 3-colour roundels are Magister kits, but because of the aircraft's V-tail, they don't include the rectangular or trapezoid tail-flashes seen on SOME, but by no means all IAC aircraft with conventional fins.

Max Decals did/does some sheets for Irish vehicles from various eras, for aircraft (1:72) and also for military vehicles (1:35).

Max Decals' website was last updated in 2021, with a message saying that the shop is closed, thanks to all his customers, and he hopes to be back at some unspecified time in the future.

On the basis of that, I wouldn't hold my breath for any new Max Decals sheets.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Geoff

Well my L-159A has arrived so I expect the L-159T I have in the stash to turn up any minute  :banghead:

Weaver

Idea 1: Dornier Do228s for maritime patrol, fisheries protection and utility: a homogenous fleet, at the expense of patrol radius. Revell kit widely available.

Idea 2: Same homogenous fleet idea as the 228s, but with CASA CN-212s instead. I KNOW lots of folk here bought the recent Special Hobby kit...

Idea 3: Same as Idea 2, but with CN-235s for the MPA role and CN-212s for utility: two different types, but still a package deal from the same manufacturer.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Geoff

Quote from: Weaver on February 18, 2023, 08:38:09 AMIdea 1: Dornier Do228s for maritime patrol, fisheries protection and utility: a homogenous fleet, at the expense of patrol radius. Revell kit widely available.

Idea 2: Same homogenous fleet idea as the 228s, but with CASA CN-212s instead. I KNOW lots of folk here bought the recent Special Hobby kit...

Idea 3: Same as Idea 2, but with CN-235s for the MPA role and CN-212s for utility: two different types, but still a package deal from the same manufacturer.

They did evaluate the Do-228 for the MP role as it turns out.  :thumbsup:

I was going through the stash yesterday and was wondering if in the 1920s after independence if the USA would have provided some aircraft. as they mainly operated UK stuff. Bristol fighters, Avro 504s, and Se-5As.
So I was thinking Salmson 2 A2s, Jennys, and from Netherlands Fokker D VIIs. Fokker Trimotors?
Any thoughts??

scooter

Quote from: Geoff on March 10, 2023, 03:33:14 AMI was going through the stash yesterday and was wondering if in the 1920s after independence if the USA would have provided some aircraft. as they mainly operated UK stuff. Bristol fighters, Avro 504s, and Se-5As.
So I was thinking Salmson 2 A2s, Jennys, and from Netherlands Fokker D VIIs. Fokker Trimotors?
Any thoughts??

Assuming the isolationists ("We don't want to be involved on the world stage!  Except in the Caribbean and Latin America!") don't nix it, plausible enough.  Especially since Congress was notoriously tight with the purse strings.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Geoff

Quote from: scooter on March 10, 2023, 03:51:35 AM
Quote from: Geoff on March 10, 2023, 03:33:14 AMAssuming the isolationists ("We don't want to be involved on the world stage!  Except in the Caribbean and Latin America!") don't nix it, plausible enough.  Especially since Congress was notoriously tight with the purse strings.

Good point - my thoughts were USA not keen on European colonialism. The AEF was disbanded in 1920 and Salmsons were exported to Czech and Poland. So ex equipment sold cheap (turns a buck), keeps Irish-American vote, gives finger to the English, ie: no down side. Also they had Springfield rifles later. Apart from that I have one in the stash  :mellow:

Beermonster58

I like some of the ideas here. In fact, I'm working on a long term project involving aircraft operated by the Independent Scottish Republic Air Force. With no specific timeline, I can use anything from a Sopwith Camel to an F-35. This my Mirage IIIE using the Revell (Italeri) 1/32 kit. The Saltires are waterslide decals but, they would be easy to produce using solid colour decal sheet/stripe. Alternatively, RAF Far East two tone blue roundels/fin flashes are an idea I've considered. These are available commercially. I rather like the JP.4 illustrated earlier and, it's given me an idea for a JP.4 and, JP.5 in Irish markings. using the Airfix kits. ;D
Apologies if already suggested but, how about these for your Irish Air Corps
Alenia C-27J Spartan
Alenia M.346
D H C Twin Otter
Shorts Skyvan (if you can find an Airfix kit)
On the subject of Irish  national insignia, a suggestion if I may. Why not abandon the roundel altogether and, use a triangular or, arrowhead design. It could easily be made/divided into a tricolour using solid colour decal sheet?
https://flic.kr/p/2o7zH9f
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

Beermonster58

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 16, 2023, 01:16:19 AMAll of these procurement options are based on the assumption that Eire stays on the political path that it did in the "real world". What however if you had a Sein Fein Government in the 30's that went just a tad farther to the left than the party historically is and they purchase from the Soviet Union ? Unlikely in the "real world" but this after all is "Whiff World".
I think that's a great idea and, with plenty scope. How about something like a MiG-15/17 etc in Irish markings? I've been thinking along the lines also of a sort of "reverse" Cold war / alternative history arising following the death of Stalin in 1953 with, the USA, alienating its former allies ,becoming more aggressive and expansionist before withdrawing from Europe. The USA, not  USSR becoming the "evil enemy" in turn. Anyone for an RAF MiG -19 in 56 Sqn markings? ;)  ;D

Geoff

Hi Beermonster - welcome to the madhouse on behalf of the inmates!  :o

The IAC did in fact assess most of the aircraft you suggested except the Spartan, which is my fav sort of wif.

I like your Mirage, great colour scheme.  :wub:

I did once do a scenario where the UK turned very left and was in the Warsaw Pact - Yes Mig-19s over Ulster. I also built the Berlin wall (The Anti-Infiltration Barrier) between Ulster and the Republic. This led to the Republic being a NATO country A-4s F-84s F-86s F-104s M-48s M-113s etc.  :mellow:

For the decals a guy in my local club prints to order if you have an image to copy.

Basically go for it I can see Scottish Rafales or  F-16s, ex Luftwaffe Alpha jets, F-104Ss with Saltires. DH-9s, Fokker D VIIs, Zeppelins ????

Beermonster58

Quote from: Geoff on March 10, 2023, 07:24:47 AMHi Beermonster - welcome to the madhouse on behalf of the inmates!  :o

The IAC did in fact assess most of the aircraft you suggested except the Spartan, which is my fav sort of wif.

I like your Mirage, great colour scheme.  :wub:

I did once do a scenario where the UK turned very left and was in the Warsaw Pact - Yes Mig-19s over Ulster. I also built the Berlin wall (The Anti-Infiltration Barrier) between Ulster and the Republic. This led to the Republic being a NATO country A-4s F-84s F-86s F-104s M-48s M-113s etc.  :mellow:

For the decals a guy in my local club prints to order if you have an image to copy.

Basically go for it I can see Scottish Rafales or  F-16s, ex Luftwaffe Alpha jets, F-104Ss with Saltires. DH-9s, Fokker D VIIs, Zeppelins ????

Good morning Geoff.

I like the suggestions :thumbsup: .
I'm already thinking along the lines of

Dassault Breguet Atlantic (using the lovely Revell kit)
C-127J Spartan (Coast Guard)
C-130
Alenia M.346
Pilatus PC.9
JP.5/JP.4
Lockheed F-80C/T.33
Hawker Hunter FGA.9 (No line up complete without one!)
DHC - Twin Otter
Westland/Agusta Merlin
F-18E/F Hornet (already have the Revell 1/32 kits)
BAC Jaguar
SAAB Draken/Viggen

Now, that's just the idea pool. I may not use some of them and, I haven't even begun to  cover the period up to the end of WWII! ;D  ;D .

I like your Cold War scenario. I was thinking alternate history where RETO (Russian European Treaty Organisation) was formed to combat an aggressive, expansionist US regime which, basically was up to the same tricks the USSR was in the real Cold War and arming its own client states. I'm loving (for example)he thought of an SU17/22 in Fleet Air Arm or RAF insignia. That big brute is one of my favourite Russian Designs. RAF MiG -19s engaging US aircraft when the latter country attempts to invade Vietnam.......! The list is endless and, probably need at least two lifetimes! ;D

Allan

ps. Thank you for the positive response. I've been the recipient of some quite unfriendly  and snarky comments elsewhere  ( but, not on this site) from individuals who seem to find the whole concept of a Scottish Republic offensive. I don't understand why. It's purely a fun project and, I make no political comment whatsoever.

Geoff

If you have the UK as a War Pac country it also allows for UK designs in their markings
I did an East German Hunter FGA9
Spinners did art work of Soviet long range aviation Victors on this site. Also you will find lots of western a/c in Czech markings.
The Czech what if site is very good as well but I have lost the link

Pellson

Quote from: Beermonster58 on March 11, 2023, 01:11:43 AMps. Thank you for the positive response. I've been the recipient of some quite unfriendly  and snarky comments elsewhere  ( but, not on this site) from individuals who seem to find the whole concept of a Scottish Republic offensive. I don't understand why. It's purely a fun project and, I make no political comment whatsoever.

I'm sorry to read this, but at the same time, I'm sadly not surprised. It seems everywhere people can say or write whatever they want without having to out their identity or face any consequences, all civilisation immediately wears off. This site is a very welcome exception from that, and it's actually quite a feat that we are managing to keep it this way.

Politics might be a flammable topic, but it is an integral part of all our lives, regardless of whether we like it or not. Hence, we shouldn't avoid debating societal issues but rather embrace different experiences and views from different people. It seems, however, that many of those daring to open up about their views are those in the very ends of the spectrum. This is so unfortunate, as I find it very hard to believe that such a large share of a population in reality is so extremely polarised as it seems from the debate. I would, on the contrary, believe that most people are more or less in the middle, leaning to one side in one issue and to the other in another. And I firmly believe that life all over the world would be a lot better if we had politics that worked more in accordance with that rather than these violent swings from one extreme to another.

Sorry for the rant. I'll get back to silently sanding a politically correct Super Sabre again..   :rolleyes:

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Geoff

Quote from: Beermonster58 on March 11, 2023, 01:11:43 AMAllan

ps. Thank you for the positive response. I've been the recipient of some quite unfriendly  and snarky comments elsewhere  ( but, not on this site) from individuals who seem to find the whole concept of a Scottish Republic offensive. I don't understand why. It's purely a fun project and, I make no political comment whatsoever.

Yeah this can be a real pain in the proverbial sometimes. The funniest one for me was when I was criticized for not doing "real" Luft '46 models on Farse Book. I did not have the heart to explain how illogical that is. Also had a guy berating me for about 10 minutes for having the Roo's the wrong way around on my model, (they weren't). The look on his face when I pointed out the model was an F-105D was priceless though. JMNs, rivet counters, Every hobby has 'em. Try taking a rat bike to a concours/owners club meeting.  :thumbsup:  As I said welcome to the nut house.

scooter

Quote from: Geoff on March 11, 2023, 07:51:27 AMTry taking a rat bike to a concours/owners club meeting.

Or something worthy of running in the 24 Hours of Lemons to a concours when Lemons ISN'T holding one of their concours
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Beermonster58

Quote from: Geoff on March 11, 2023, 07:51:27 AM
Quote from: Beermonster58 on March 11, 2023, 01:11:43 AMAllan

Yeah this can be a real pain in the proverbial sometimes. The funniest one for me was when I was criticized for not doing "real" Luft '46 models on Farse Book. I did not have the heart to explain how illogical that is. Also had a guy berating me for about 10 minutes for having the Roo's the wrong way around on my model, (they weren't). The look on his face when I pointed out the model was an F-105D was priceless though. JMNs, rivet counters, Every hobby has 'em. Try taking a rat bike to a concours/owners club meeting.  :thumbsup:  As I said welcome to the nut house.

So true!! :thumbsup: . Actually, the silly comments I recieved previously simply make me more determined to thumb my nose at the rivet counting JMN brigade!! ;)  ;D