DONE @p.3 +++ 1:72 Supermarine Spitfire F.Mk.XIVc, Royal Iraqi Air Force, 1948

Started by Dizzyfugu, February 05, 2023, 01:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

There's still my Sd.Kfz. 241 waiting for pix, but the next in line will be a "simple" Spitfire (the Academy kit, left over from a D-Day combo with a Typhoon that has already been bult as a Burmese post-WWII machine) in a whiffy livery and with minor cosmetic changes - I originally thought that it might fit into the upcoming Fifties GB, but it "takes place" a couple of years earlier, so it will pop up here.

Stay tuned.  :mellow:

Dizzyfugu

Things move(d).  This is/was a rather spontaneous interim build, originally intended for the Fifties GB but the topic just fell out of the time frame. The Academy Spitfire kit was left over from a D-Day combo that contained a Hawker Typhoon, too, and I lacked an idea for the Spitfire for a long time) since I am not a big fan of the aircraft, at least what-if-inspiration-wise). However, when pondering about a potential operator from the very early pos-war period I remembered the Royal Iraqi Air Force and its later Hawker Hunters which retained their NATO-style camouflage (RAF green/grey) despite being primarily operated in a desert environment. This, on a Spitfire...?

From this idea the Academy Spitfire was built almost OOB. Because the kit offers them as an option and for the cool look, I gave the Spitfire four RPGs under each outer wing. The ventral drop tank was taken from a Special Hobby late Spitfire kit. The only other additions are the antenna mast and the non-standard DF loop antenna behind the cockpit, created from thin wire and mounted on a small, streamlined socket.

1:72 Supermarine Type 379 "Spitfire" F Mk. XIVc; aircraft '٢١٢ (212)' of the Royal Iraqi Air Force (RIrAF, القوات الجوية الملكية العراقية) No. 7 Squadron; Kirkuk AB, deployed to Ma'an airfield (Jordania), 1948 (What-if/Academy kit) - WiP
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Supermarine Type 379 "Spitfire" F Mk. XIVc; aircraft '٢١٢ (212)' of the Royal Iraqi Air Force (RIrAF, القوات الجوية الملكية العراقية) No. 7 Squadron; Kirkuk AB, deployed to Ma'an airfield (Jordania), 1948 (What-if/Academy kit) - WiP
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Painting and markings:
The upper surfaces were painted in standard RAF WWII colors, Dark Green and Ocean Grey, using a mix of Humbrol 163 and 30 for a slightly more bluish WWII-style green and a mix of 106 and 145 for a lightened grey tone, respectively. As an individual contrast and paint scheme variation the undersides and the spinner were painted in RAF Azure Blue (Humbrol 157, lightened up with 47), more appropriate than the standard WWII Medium Sea Grey from the European theatre of operations. The cockpit interior became RAF cockpit green (Humbro,78) while the inside surfaces of the landing gear were painted in Medium Sea Grey (Humbrol 165), reflecting the original undersides' tone in former RAF service.

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Other markings were minimal. The Iraqi triangles were taken from a Balkan Models Su-25 sheet, because their green was rather pale, for more contrast to the surrounding camouflage. RIrAF fin flash was taken from a PM Model Hawker Fury two-seater (a.k.a. "Bagdad Fury"). The tactical code came from an Airfix Hawker Hunter (from an optional Kuwaiti machine). This looked O.K. but somewhat bleak, so I added more markings. I could not find any evidence for special ID markings on Iraqi aircraft during the Arab-Israel war, but to add an eye-catcher I gave the aircraft white ID bands on the wings and on the fuselage – inspired by markings carried by Egyptian aircraft (e. g. Spitfires) during the conflict, but somewhat simplified, without black trim. They were created from generic white decal sheet material.

After some soot stains around the gun ports and the exhausts, the model was sealed with matt acrylic varnish.

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Not spectacular, but it looks good!  :lol:

Wardukw

Damn that's looking nice ..ive got that same model Spitfire but in 48th ..still no ideas for mine ..getting a small pile of RAF planes now and your build will give me ideas I'll bet at some point  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

comrade harps

Whatever.

Dizzyfugu

Thank you. Yes, it's a very simple project, but I wanted something "dry". But it looked so boring - despite the exotic green triangular markings - that the ID stripes were IMHO a necessary addition,. I think it was the right decision, though.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Nothing new here, unfortunately, Dramatic family affairs keep me busy almost 24/7 since last week. I am doing some construction as a distraction at the moment, but find no time and nerve for pics.

Pls. stay tuned.

DogfighterZen

Take it easy, Thomas. I hope it all ends well and soon for you and your loved ones.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

PR19_Kit

DRAMATIC family affairs don't sound too good. :(

I hope they get sorted peacefully for you Thomas.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 13, 2023, 03:07:30 AMDRAMATIC family affairs don't sound too good. :(

I hope they get sorted peacefully for you Thomas.

Ditto, Dizzy
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....