USAF Avro F-95 “Can-nuke” Completed

Started by AeroplaneDriver, February 05, 2023, 01:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

Picked up a Hobby Craft 1/48 CF-100 today on Ebay for a very good price due to a badly worn box.  Seems a perfect choice for an entry in this GB. 

Thinking a fairly straight forward paint and decal Whif in service with a user yet to be decided.  Definitely thinking some Whif armament...possibly a 4-gun ADEN cannon pack similar to the Canberra or maybe wingtip Genies, which was a RW proposal. 

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

sandiego89

Cant go wrong with Genies!

Unguided nukes are definitely a 1950's theme!

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

AeroplaneDriver

Been thinking more on this one as the 1st gets closer.  I'm leaning towards a backstory where the F-89 is a failure and the USAF buys the CF-100 as a stopgap interceptor.  Thinking about a colorful NMF finish with maybe rocket pods on the wingtips and a pair of Genies underwing or Genies on the wingtips and 4x Falcons underwing.  A set of F-94 decals will provide markings. 

kitbasher

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on February 24, 2023, 10:41:37 PMBeen thinking more on this one as the 1st gets closer.  I'm leaning towards a backstory where the F-89 is a failure and the USAF buys the CF-100 as a stopgap interceptor.  Thinking about a colorful NMF finish with maybe rocket pods on the wingtips and a pair of Genies underwing or Genies on the wingtips and 4x Falcons underwing.  A set of F-94 decals will provide markings. 

F-89J missiles and wingtip tanks + CF-100 = something great.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on February 25, 2023, 02:30:22 AMF-89J missiles and wingtip tanks + CF-100 = something great.

An H would be even more impressive with all those Falcons sticking out.  :thumbsup:

I might have tried it with my 'new' CF-100 but I used the only H pods I had on the Gloster Lance.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: kitbasher on February 25, 2023, 02:30:22 AM
Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on February 24, 2023, 10:41:37 PMBeen thinking more on this one as the 1st gets closer.  I'm leaning towards a backstory where the F-89 is a failure and the USAF buys the CF-100 as a stopgap interceptor.  Thinking about a colorful NMF finish with maybe rocket pods on the wingtips and a pair of Genies underwing or Genies on the wingtips and 4x Falcons underwing.  A set of F-94 decals will provide markings. 

F-89J missiles and wingtip tanks + CF-100 = something great.

My plan is hopefully F-89 tip tanks/rocket pods but I'm having a hell of a time finding a donor kit. 

The Wooksta!

IIRC, Dave is hanging on to one for me but I'll be going swept wings.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kerick

I heard once that the USAF briefly considered the clunk as an attack aircraft. Long time ago, I could be wrong.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

kitbasher

Quote from: kerick on February 27, 2023, 09:23:50 PMI heard once that the USAF briefly considered the clunk as an attack aircraft. Long time ago, I could be wrong.

The proposed 'ground pounder' CF-100 was considered alongside the EE Canberra (and others) by the USAF as potential all-weather interdiction aircraft.

The Canberra was of course selected (as the B-57).
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 25, 2023, 06:07:04 AMIIRC, Dave is hanging on to one for me but I'll be going swept wings.

CF-103-style?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kerick on February 27, 2023, 09:23:50 PMThe proposed 'ground pounder' CF-100 was considered alongside the EE Canberra (and others) by the USAF as potential all-weather interdiction aircraft.

The Canberra was of course selected (as the B-57).

Wasn't it a 3-way competition with the XB-51 as well?

Beaumont flew the required close-in support flight paths INSIDE the airfield boundary.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

XB-51, B-45 and IIRC one other.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: kitbasher on February 28, 2023, 07:15:47 AMXB-51, B-45 and IIRC one other.

North American's AJ Savage was the 3rd contender.

kitbasher

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 28, 2023, 05:27:48 AM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 25, 2023, 06:07:04 AMIIRC, Dave is hanging on to one for me but I'll be going swept wings.

CF-103-style?

That's the plan, but the drawing I have is tiny. I'd like to do the single seat Arrow too, with the low mounted wing.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic