USAF Avro F-95 “Can-nuke” Completed

Started by AeroplaneDriver, February 05, 2023, 01:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 28, 2023, 06:54:55 AM
Quote from: kerick on February 27, 2023, 09:23:50 PMThe proposed 'ground pounder' CF-100 was considered alongside the EE Canberra (and others) by the USAF as potential all-weather interdiction aircraft.

The Canberra was of course selected (as the B-57).

Wasn't it a 3-way competition with the XB-51 as well?

Beaumont flew the required close-in support flight paths INSIDE the airfield boundary.  :thumbsup:

I'm going to have to look this up now. Could be some cool whiffing involved.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

AeroplaneDriver

I actually did consider doing this as a B-57 alternative but a) anything beating out the Canberra in that role is a ridiculous proposition, and b) I want to hang Genies on it! 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Pellson

I have two Clunks in the StashTM, and my plan for those are definitely mud movers. I'm thinking somewhat swept flying surfaces, if not necessarily as much swept as the CF-102(3?) proposal. I'm thinking a mid-sixties strike aircraft having high subsonic performance at treetop level, much like the Buccaneer.

Maybe that's my 50's GB entry?
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

jcf

A ground-pounder CF-100 would require some redesign and spar strengthening, which is why ground attack
use of the type wasn't pursued. Adding a swept-wing would be the perfect time to make those changes.

Pellson

Quote from: jcf on March 01, 2023, 08:05:28 PMA ground-pounder CF-100 would require some redesign and spar strengthening, which is why ground attack
use of the type wasn't pursued. Adding a swept-wing would be the perfect time to make those changes.

That's my excuse to even minimally changing the wing, then.  :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

AeroplaneDriver

Rare for me, but I've got two on the bench at the same time.  Almost to the paint stage of a HB Hawk so decided to jump into this GB entry. 

To say the cockpit is basic is generous.  I considered tarting it up a bit and even considered trying to fit a tub out some Monogram two-seater or other, but I really dont have anything appropriate that I can spare.  In the end I think I'm just going to give it a nice coat of 50s coal hole black, pick out a few details, and be done with it. I'll likely add better seats since they will be visible, but with no open canopy option I think it'll look servicable once buttoned up.

AeroplaneDriver

The more I look at this one the more I'm inclined to paint the canopy and make it an inflight model on a stand.  I'm starting to think the soft detail might lend itself better to a manufacturers display type model.

The Rat

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on March 02, 2023, 09:36:12 PM

That has got to be one of the worst examples of box art in modeling history. I believe it's on several lists of such.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Rat on March 03, 2023, 07:45:17 AMThat has got to be one of the worst examples of box art in modeling history. I believe it's on several lists of such.

They're obviously in the same thought group as me, longer wings rule OK.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

There were various proposals for missile equipped CF-100 interceptors, including with Genies.
Edit: moved over to CF-100 topic.

Clunk Missile Proposals

AeroplaneDriver

Mr Matchbox would weep with envy at some of the panel lines on this beastie

AeroplaneDriver

Fairly happy to have this thing together and cleaned up to this point with zero filler.  Trying to avoid if I can for a nice NMF finish, so lots of seam scraping, sanding, and polishing tonight.  Thankfully not a ton of detail to worry about damaging.

AeroplaneDriver

Calling it a night with this one. Fairly happy with it all things considered. Leaning towards clear canopy with aftermarket seats and an inflight display on a stand. 

Torn on weapons fit.  Thr kit has the 8-round rocket pack in the belly and I'm thinking of modifying that to be a 4x20mm cannon pack along with standard CF-100 rocket pods and Whif Genies.  Big decision is Genies underwing or wingtip. From a realistic engineering perspective underwing makes most sense.  But I feel wingtip Genies would look very cool. 

We'll see...

Wardukw

I like this and those are not panel lines..those are valleys.
Weapons load out is the second belly pack..4 X 20mm cannons ..more practical and for the missiles..why not both..wing tips and under wing..it's been done many times in the RW ..can be here to and damn dude..it would look good and balanced  <_<
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .