The REAL Supermarine Defender

Started by TomZ, February 12, 2023, 09:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

Supermarine Defender

Last year the honourable member PR19kit posted a model which he claimed to portray the Supermarine Defender.
See here: https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=50553.msg965115#msg965115 

Of course all people with some knowledge of the Supermarine Aircraft will know that this model did not in any way resemble the real Supermarine Defender.
The real Defender looked like this:

A quick study of the rivets on Kit's model will show that they are completely wrong for the Supermarine rivets of the time!
If fact it can be concluded that this model is one of these horrible, completely imaginary so-called "what-if" models that seem to pop up more and more.

The real Supermarine Defender was a development of the Supermarine Attacker which was created to create a low-cost alternative to the Attacker. Using lower rated and low-tech components meant that the cost of the Defender were significantly lower than that of the Attacker. Also it was much easier to obtain an export license for the Defender.

The Defender was exported to a number of African countries in the 1950s. The model shows an Ethiopian example. Ethiopia received 24 Defenders. Other users of te Defender were Oman, Rhodesia, Egypt, Cameroon, Honduras, Nigeria and Kenya. Some Defenders were used into the 1970s although they were completely outdated by that time.

Model: Trumpeter 1/48
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

martinbayer

As a kid that was born in the early sixties, I grew up with the conviction that it was just plain impossible to come up with an ugly jet fighter design, but now being myself in my early sixties, I am shocked and horrified to be proven utterly wrong :)...
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

Wardukw

If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

;D  ;D  Flipping marvellous Tom  :bow:  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

mexchiwa

To be fair, isn't yours a Defender Mk I and PR's a Super Defender FB Mk VIII?

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

PR19_Kit

Quote from: mexchiwa on February 15, 2023, 02:53:53 AMTo be fair, isn't yours a Defender Mk I and PR's a Super Defender FB Mk VIII?

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

And I have to reject Tom's allegations in his first post.
Checking the well-know Putnam's "British rivets since 1910", on page 376 is clearly written that for its early jets Supermarine employed exactly the rivet type Kit used.  ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

buzzbomb

:thumbsup:  Like the context of this aircraft

Tophe

Quote from: TomZ on February 12, 2023, 09:43:13 AMLast year the honourable member PR19kit posted a model which he claimed to portray the Supermarine Defender.
Of course all people with some knowledge of the Supermarine Aircraft will know that this model did not in any way resemble the real Supermarine Defender.
Sorry, I feel difficult to read this introduction. Of course, our use of the word "Real" is very special, not necessary true, but I did not know what is joke and what is not. I asked Google's help and it brought nothing, except that the Spitfire was a kind of defender, and that the main Defender officially is a Britten-Norman derivative of the Islander. :-\
I may try to turn the view (of this nice model) from front into a zwilling and I would classify it as Supermarine because this is a whif (old-style) Supermarine Attacker, right? <_<
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Wardukw

Quote from: Tophe on February 15, 2023, 04:53:07 PM
Quote from: TomZ on February 12, 2023, 09:43:13 AMLast year the honourable member PR19kit posted a model which he claimed to portray the Supermarine Defender.
Sorry, I feel difficult to read this introduction. Of course, our use of the word "Real" is very special, not necessary true, but I did not know what is joke and what is not. I asked Google's help and it brought nothing, except that the Spitfire was a kind of defender, and that the main Defender officially is a Britten-Norman derivative of the Islander. :-\
I may try to turn the view (of this nice model) from front into a zwilling and I would classify it as Supermarine because this is a whif (old-style) Supermarine Attacker, right? <_<
Tophe my French mate it's called taking the piss ...or extreme rivet counting but in a really funny way...there's no one in here that cares about rivets ..where they are or how many there's ment to be or what they look like.
Tom did a great job of giving Kit crap about his build .. :lol: I had a good laugh reading it and now Lou has joined in which is making it even funnier...this post is a fantastic one  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]