Main Menu

Lockheed F-80E

Started by mat, February 13, 2023, 08:50:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mat

Ready for a transplation job - The tail of the Hasegawa T-33 is going to be inserted into the rear of the F-80E. In the same operation the jet exhaust will be added. Which by the way used to be a part of my old school fountain pen. Being a schratchbuilder means, that you should never throw anything away. Well. Almost anything - dysfunctional girlfriends can be left by the roadside.

You cannot view this attachment.

Wardukw

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup: liking it mate  😆
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

mat

The tailfin and exhaust have now been integrated and most of the PSR done. Tailplanes have been motified to the new swept angle. Time to find and add a canopy and begin to think in colours and markings.

NARSES2

This is coming along very nicely sir  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

That's looking very good.  :thumbsup:

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Wardukw

That does look just right..it's like why wasn't that plane built like that in the first place.
Bloody cool stuff Mat 😎  :thumbsup:
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Rick Lowe

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 07, 2023, 02:27:26 PMThat does look just right..it's like why wasn't that plane built like that in the first place.

Maybe they didn't know enough about swept wings at the time? They started design work on the P-80 in may '43.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Ture but by 44 they were aware of the ME-262 so you would have thought they might have started to think in different direction.
They did with the Sabre ..so I guess they just took their time about it.

Old Wombat

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 07, 2023, 05:17:00 PMTure but by 44 they were aware of the ME-262 so you would have thought they might have started to think in different direction.
They did with the Sabre ..so I guess they just took their time about it.

Different companies with different ethos'.

Lockheed tended to stick with more traditional design features, while North American were happier to experiment (hence the laminar-flow wing of the P-51, which was the predecessor of most jet wings).
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Ture Guy..you've got Douglas..North American..Lockheed..Boeing and got knows how many others are trying to get contracts .
I wonder how many prototypes never left the drawing board and how many did..bloody hundreds on the drawing board for sure.

mat

Tailplanes are now in place and the wingtip tanks glued on. Its time to begin imagining a paintjob. Squadron service in the early 50's means natural metal coloured planes.

Wardukw

Damn Mat that looks like it should have existed dude..that does look bloody great man 👍
NMF would be the way to go for sure..will keep the awesome looks of this build  ;D

loupgarou

It's developing very well,and you managed to nicely blend the various parts.
A curiosity: did you use gold  paint as primer on some  parts?
BTW, your plane looks like a intermediate step before the XF-90.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.