Centurion AA (Rapier) - Done

Started by buzzbomb, February 14, 2023, 02:18:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 16, 2023, 03:54:35 PMMy ex-brother-in-law (work that out....) was on a Rapier unit in the Falklands and reckoned that they could have nailed quite few more AAF aircraft if they hadn't been sited in silly positions. The AAF strikes came in round the hills below the peaks and by the time they were in sight it was very difficult to track and lock on to them.

I always understood the reason why Rapier wasn't deployed to the Falklands was because their gyros tumbled on the journey south...
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 16, 2023, 03:54:35 PMMy ex-brother-in-law (work that out....)...

Mrs z's eldest brother is on wife No.4 so I have three ex-sisters-in-law... :unsure:

<edit - corrected my incorrect pluralisation of sister-in-law.>
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Devilfish

Quote from: zenrat on February 16, 2023, 09:54:50 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 16, 2023, 03:54:35 PMMy ex-brother-in-law (work that out....)...

Mrs z's eldest brother is on wife No.4 so I have three ex-sister-in-laws... :unsure:

My ex- sister in law (my sisters ex husband's sister) is an old school friend of mine (and we had a "thing"), so that was a complicated one to explain to my wife... :rolleyes:  :unsure:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on February 16, 2023, 08:24:24 PMI always understood the reason why Rapier wasn't deployed to the Falklands was because their gyros tumbled on the journey south...

;D

Apparently there were no spares or support equipment available as they'd been shipped aboard the Atlantic Conveyer.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 17, 2023, 01:51:31 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on February 16, 2023, 08:24:24 PMI always understood the reason why Rapier wasn't deployed to the Falklands was because their gyros tumbled on the journey south...

;D

Apparently there were no spares or support equipment available as they'd been shipped aboard the Atlantic Conveyer.

Also, the launchers were shipped south as deck cargo, despite the fact that the electronics were already well know to be a bit on the fragile side.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

buzzbomb

Good discussion on the actual use of the Rapier in the Falklands. Tallies with what I have read about the less than ideal siting and the further impact of the loss of the Atlantic Conveyor

Thanks for the interest in this build though.

Been a bit hot and putrid for much shop work, nonetheless a bit has been achieved.

tinkering around with the Turret shape

So turret pretty much sorted out at a basic level, then the Missile mounts.

My practical whiffer vehicle voice in the head says, the missile boxes should be fully enclosed at the sides to offer protection for the missiles in the field.
However, the other voice is saying, then you cannot see they are Rapier missiles and loses a bit of kazing! factor.
Mr Middle ground is offering up sides off and use guard rails. Of course Mr Middle ground always presents the most challenging way forward.

let see who wins ;)

NARSES2

Some really nice work going on here  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Big turret for a relatively small missile. ???

You could always have one coming out of the launcher. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Or, enclosed sides but with inspection/loading hatches which you pose open on one side?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Wardukw

Quote from: zenrat on February 18, 2023, 03:47:58 AMOr, enclosed sides but with inspection/loading hatches which you pose open on one side?

Exactly what I was thinking too..then ya get the best of both worlds..covered so its looks right and uncovered so you can see the missiles  :thumbsup:
Love the work so far mate and turret size could be explained with all the electronics needed like a built in targeting system and fire control systems.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Weaver

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about exposed missiles. The armoured boxes on Tracked Rapier were the exception, not the rule. If you look at Crotale, Roland, Chapparal, SA-8 etc, they all either have their missiles in unarmoured fibreglass tubes or on open rails.

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 18, 2023, 03:43:02 AMBig turret for a relatively small missile. ???

The proposed Tigercat turret was pretty hefty (see below). Tank-based SPAAG/M turrets are generally pretty big because the designers usually want to put all the computers in the turret with the radars, rather than trying to connect them via slip rings.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

buzzbomb

Quote from: Weaver on February 18, 2023, 11:14:55 AMThe proposed Tigercat turret was pretty hefty (see below). Tank-based SPAAG/M turrets are generally pretty big because the designers usually want to put all the computers in the turret with the radars, rather than trying to connect them via slip rings.

Funny you said that. Co-incidentally, Tigercats were in my original thought bubble, along with a land based version of the Redtop to stay homegrown British. With the kit of the 1/35 Seadart available, it too was briefly considered but written out as too big (and expensive for a build like this) plus timelines were a bit out. Great drawing you dug out.

As you say, my thoughts are that the turret would contain all the fire control and launch gubbins, plus crew. I might be a tad tall though depending where the missile launch racks go, it might get a trim down. That would be relatively easy.

thanks for the feedback.

Weaver

Quote from: buzzbomb on February 18, 2023, 01:47:38 PM
Quote from: Weaver on February 18, 2023, 11:14:55 AMThe proposed Tigercat turret was pretty hefty (see below). Tank-based SPAAG/M turrets are generally pretty big because the designers usually want to put all the computers in the turret with the radars, rather than trying to connect them via slip rings.

Funny you said that. Co-incidentally, Tigercats were in my original thought bubble, along with a land based version of the Redtop to stay homegrown British. With the kit of the 1/35 Seadart available, it too was briefly considered but written out as too big (and expensive for a build like this) plus timelines were a bit out. Great drawing you dug out.

As you say, my thoughts are that the turret would contain all the fire control and launch gubbins, plus crew. I might be a tad tall though depending where the missile launch racks go, it might get a trim down. That would be relatively easy.

thanks for the feedback.

I think the height of the turret is fine: compare the different between a Leo 1 and a Gepard to see what I mean. If I had to critique your turret, I'd say the piece that you're using for the radar dome is a bit on the small side: it should be pretty much the whole width of your roof.

If you want to see a REALLY tall boi, check out the Marconi Marksman turret on a Chieftain chassis:

- Indiana Jones

Gondor

There are a couple of options for Rapiers in 1/35. David J Parkins does a towed Rapier set in their Firing Line range, £85 and change though. Hobby Fan have done a Tracked Rapier kit back in 2017 so you might be able to find that but probably at a price. Another option would be to fit Hawk Missiles instead as they should be available as AFV Club did them as well.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

That Marksman Chieftain looks very sci-fi, almost a robot thingy. Paint an eye on the radar dish and voila, almost sentient.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.