Re: Airvell 1/72 Avro Winchester B.I/B.III

Started by Old Wombat, February 14, 2023, 04:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Gloss has gone over the top surfaces. :thumbsup:

I shall now go & do some [shudder] housework while it dries sufficiently before I turn it over. :-\
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Old Wombat

Gloss has, now, gone on the under surfaces. :thumbsup:

More housework while I wait for that to dry. :-\

Wardukw

Been glossing today too mate ..well at 3:30am so it's bone dry now  :thumbsup:
Also glossed the Strumpanther couple of hrs ago ..so won't touch that now till tomorrow.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

Well, that was bloody irritating! :angry:

Whilst wiping off some oil washes I was trialling, to highlight the panel lines, the port side (left) tail plane just fell off. Sheared off flush with the join to the fuselage.  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

Luckily, I have brass rod & the bloody-mindedness to get this fixed ..... Tomorrow. I need to get some sleep, right now. :rolleyes:

Old Wombat

CA gel, brass rod & Revell Contacta cement applied. All taped into position & hoping like crazy that this works! :angel:

NARSES2

That's a nuisance, hope it stays attached this time  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

You & me, both, mate!

I'll pop down to the modelling room, shortly, to take the tape off & see what the damage is. :-X

Thank the Gods this study desk is wood! ;)

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 11, 2023, 07:18:00 AMThank the Gods this study desk is wood! ;)

Amen to that  :thumbsup: I can always touch my head, straight out of the tree of knowledge  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Well, that appears to have worked ... So far. :angel:

I've also re-washed the underside, as the grey I used earlier was too light. This time I've used Dark Brown. Just waiting for it to dry a bit more before I rub it down to remove the excess (VERY carefully in some places :rolleyes: ).

Wardukw

Mate with all the work you're putting into this it's going to look amazing I'll bet   ;D
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

Hopefully. If things stop breaking. :angel:

OK, as said earlier, fixed now & seems to be holding. Re-did the wash with dark brown, as the grey I'd used was too light (also mentioned before), & this time the tail planes stayed on despite considerably more vigorous wiping. :thumbsup:

Unlikely to get back to the bench for about a week, family coming (including the grandson) & going to a niece's wedding on the weekend, but I'll try to find some time to take a couple of photo's.

Old Wombat

OK, just a couple of pic's to show where I'm at;

Wardukw

Black is such a pain to wash but that's looking pretty damn good ..once Matt varnished it's should look even better 😉

Old Wombat

Yeah, well, the dark brown was a good choice; light enough to be visible but dark enough not to blind you with glaring obviousness! :mellow:

The original grey looked like every panel join had been taped over with 2" masking tape. :banghead:

I gave it a wipe over with a cloth dampened with isopropyl alcohol, just before taking the photo's, & it seems to have cleaned off the oily residue quite nicely. :thumbsup:

Matt varnish will have to wait until next week, when the family all bugger off again; which should give any remaining oily residue time to dry off (I hope!).

Wardukw

Time wise you should be fine..the oils I use from Ammo dar within a week easy ..well 5 days ..couple of times the oils have been dry within a couple of hours but thats probably temp related and I do thin it down  so  it flows better.