Re: Airvell 1/72 Avro Winchester B.I/B.III

Started by Old Wombat, February 14, 2023, 04:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Yes, I did spell that right! ;)

I'm currently in the process of chopping up a Revell Lancaster B.I/B.III & a pair of Airfix Typhoon IBs to end up with a slightly smaller version of the Lancaster* powered by two Napier Sabres.

Photos when I've finished the primary, pre-build destruction/construction.

Power output:
Merlin XX = 1,250 hp each ( x 4 = 5,000 hp total)
Sabre II/V      = 2,200/2,600 hp each ( x 2 = 4,400/5,200 hp total)

[ Note: The Sabre V is a developed Sabre II ]

[*: Not really a Manchester, but close enough for me.]
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Looking forward to this over powered beasty mate  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

Thanks, Phill! :thumbsup:

Here are the first photo's;

Outside fuselage & tops of wings;

Inside fuselage & undersides of wings;

Just to show that it does all go together;

(Wings are being held in place by a length of styrene rod for the pic.)

I'm still working on the first nacelle (it may take a while).

PS: The metallic thing is a 14cm ruler.

63cpe

Interesting project! Definitely following this thread.

David aka 63CPE

Old Wombat

Wardukw

That's like that Airfix lanc B.lll I scored for 10 bucks cause its got to left hand fuselage sides  :o  ;D .
Lots of lovely parts in that kit Guy so I know what your playing with...should be a nice thing to build mate . :thumbsup:
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Gondor

Great minds and all that as I have it's four engined bigger brother started and patiently waiting for me to get back to it.  Still trying to work out the engine to nasel joint.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

I like the sound of this, veeeeeeery interesting.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Caveman

secretprojects forum migrant

loupgarou

Yeees, will follow this with interest. What brand of putty do you use? I want to buy some shares...
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

buzzbomb

Much interest in this to see how it evolves. I have a "look" in my head, be so cool to see how they tally up  :thumbsup:

63cpe

Quote from: loupgarou on February 15, 2023, 01:05:55 PMYeees, will follow this with interest. What brand of putty do you use? I want to buy some shares...

Wahaha....

Old Wombat

Thank you, gents! :bow:

The engine nacelles are proving to be a bit more problematic but I'm getting there! 

I was tossing up between Mancaster & Lanchester when I started this build but it's been swirling around in my head, & I've had the kits for it for several years, as the "Mancaster", so that's what it is.

I'm changing the designation to B.I/B.III because the B.I will be powered by the Sabre II, while the B.III will be powered by the Sabre V, with B.I's being converted to B.III standard as their engines wore out (if they wore out). Like the RR & Packard Merlins there's no real external difference between the Sabre II & Sabre V, the extra 400hp was achieved by improving the airflow through the engine & tweaking the design of the supercharger.

Like the Lancaster, the B.II is a Centaurus radial powered variant.

Quote from: loupgarou on February 15, 2023, 01:05:55 PMYeees, will follow this with interest. What brand of putty do you use? I want to buy some shares...

Aves Apoxy Sculpt for the major gap filling; Tamiya Grey & Tamiya White for the finer work.

Again: Thank you, all, for taking the time to look & comment! :bow:

Wardukw

Well mate when you build something weird ..wonderful or interesting you can bet its gonna get our attention and because of this build its given me an idea what to do with a spare set of 48th scale Lanc wings I have  :wacko: