Re: Airvell 1/72 Avro Winchester B.I/B.III

Started by Old Wombat, February 14, 2023, 04:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on March 19, 2023, 04:44:18 AMOK.  Sabre Mosquito is yours.  But Sabre Hornet?   :wacko:

Did they make a slim-lined Sabre though? A Hornet with huge bulky engines just wouldn't BE a Hornet.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Vulcan7

looking cool  :mellow: , it would give the Heinkel 177 a lot of Greif  ;D  :thumbsup:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

Old Wombat

Thanks, Vostoc! (Even with the pun. :rolleyes: ) :bow:

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 19, 2023, 06:17:08 AM
Quote from: zenrat on March 19, 2023, 04:44:18 AMOK.  Sabre Mosquito is yours.  But Sabre Hornet?  :wacko:

Did they make a slim-lined Sabre though? A Hornet with huge bulky engines just wouldn't BE a Hornet.

I don't know, Kit, the Sabres I used fit straight onto the Merlin nacelles with no significant modification to either the engine cowling or nacelle shape. In the RW I don't if that would really be possible but it might not be out of the picture entirely. If you look below, you'll see that the Sabre is only 6" taller than the Merlin but about 9" wider & almost 6" shorter!. If you used a slightly deeper & wider cowling & moved the chin radiator to the wings (as was done for the Merlin) & just leave an intake for the carburettors either under the chin or a twin arrangement on top of the engine, I think you'd have a pretty sleek housing around the engine that wouldn't look too out of place.

Sabre
Length: 82.25 in (2,089 mm)
Width: 40 in (1,016 mm)
Height: 46 in (1,168 mm)

Merlin
Length: 88.7 in (2,250 mm)
Width: 30.8 in (780 mm)
Height: 40 in (1,020 mm)

Your biggest issue would be the Sabre's 117 gallons/hour (532 L/hr) at maximum cruise (241 gallons/hour (1,096 L/hr) at maximum combat rating, F.S supercharger) versus the Merlin's 50.3 Imp gal/h at maximum cruise (136 L/h) (maximum 130 Imp gal/h (591 L/h)).
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Old Wombat

Did I mention that some idiot decided that adding "Village Inn" to the rear turret would be a good idea? :unsure:

Actually, the "Village Inn" bit is coming along quite well, it's the turrets that are giving me grief! :banghead:

Still, persistence appears to be paying off ... s-l-o-w-l-y. :rolleyes:

[I really wish this kit had come with the F.N.82 turret, too! :-\ ]

Gondor

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 23, 2023, 04:21:30 AMDid I mention that some idiot decided that adding "Village Inn" to the rear turret would be a good idea? :unsure:

Actually, the "Village Inn" bit is coming along quite well, it's the turrets that are giving me grief! :banghead:

the choice of a Rose Rice turret would have been a nice choice as well. Perhaps an aftermarket opportunity for someone, Scale Model Turrets! ?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Has there ever been a kit or aftermarket Rose turret? I can't recall one.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 23, 2023, 04:21:30 AMDid I mention that some idiot decided that adding "Village Inn" to the rear turret would be a good idea? :unsure:

The Hasegawa Lancasters came with the Village Inn parts as standard, the post war and RCAF boxings also have FN82 tail turrets. The 2013 tooling Airfix Lancaster has the parts for FN82 also.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

The Wooksta!

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 23, 2023, 06:22:01 AMHas there ever been a kit or aftermarket Rose turret? I can't recall one.

Paragon released it in one of his conversions, possibly the 100 Group set. IIRC, I passed one on to you!
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 23, 2023, 07:44:34 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 23, 2023, 06:22:01 AMHas there ever been a kit or aftermarket Rose turret? I can't recall one.

Paragon released it in one of his conversions, possibly the 100 Group set. IIRC, I passed one on to you!

Hehehe, thanks for the reminder Lee, I'll have to look deeper into my VAST stock of aftermarket stuff.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Gondor

I agree with what Lee said, only difference is that he has had the time to reply

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Old Wombat

Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 23, 2023, 07:42:55 AM

The Hasegawa Lancasters came with the Village Inn parts as standard, the post war and RCAF boxings also have FN82 tail turrets. The 2013 tooling Airfix Lancaster has the parts for FN82 also.

Both of my current tooling Airfix Lanc's (B.I/III & B.II) have the F.N.82 turret but I want to keep them for use on those kits & "Village Inn" isn't that difficult to bodge.

buzzbomb

Really like where this is at. The subtle engine nacelle differences are a treat

Old Wombat

Thanks, BT! :bow:

There are quite a few subtle changes to this beast ... & a few less subtle ones, to attract attention away from the less obvious ones. :wacko:

Old Wombat

Just bought SMS's Lancaster paint set today, so camo painting shouldn't be too far away. ;)

Lots of godawful masking between now & then, though. :banghead:

Old Wombat

About 1/3 of the cockpit greenhouse taped, 2/3 to go plus liquid masking, then glue on a couple of parts, tape over the various gaps to the interior & I'll be ready to start painting! :thumbsup:  :unsure:  :blink: