Re: Airvell 1/72 Avro Winchester B.I/B.III

Started by Old Wombat, February 14, 2023, 04:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Went to start putting the landing gear together & found I was missing 3 pieces: found one under the box liner I have the remaining parts in (in the lid of the box) & one on the floor, where it must have dropped a couple or three weeks ago, when I dropped the box o' parts. Couldn't find the other at all, must have been consumed by the vinyl monster.

So, I scratch built a replacement part out of some 3D printing resin (a support structure from ... something) & I'll paint that up later, so I can get the landing gear done before I fit out the bomb bay.

After scratching the wheel well door opening/closing rod, I started putting the bombs together. Hopefully I'll get them finished & re-primed tomorrow this afternoon, ready for paint on Saturday.

Once the bomb bay is completed I'll fit all the fiddly little bits & hit it with another coat of clear matt.

Final jobs will be removing all the masking over the glazing; fix some of the glazing with Clearfix; rig the aerials &, then;

She'll be done & photo's shall appear via the magic of the interwebnet! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Very much looking forward to this matey 👍 😀
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 20, 2023, 01:25:07 PMVery much looking forward to this matey 👍 😀

So am I! :rolleyes:

As much as I'm enjoying the build, it's gone well over the self-allotted time-frame & I'm itching to do some armour :mellow: ... or a ship. :o

Wardukw

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 21, 2023, 12:40:38 AM
Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on April 20, 2023, 01:25:07 PMVery much looking forward to this matey 👍 😀

So am I! :rolleyes:

As much as I'm enjoying the build, it's gone well over the self-allotted time-frame & I'm itching to do some armour :mellow: ... or a ship. :o
I'm having the exact same problem right now 😕
I'm weathering and pin washing the Strumpanther and I'm seriously in the mood to build something else and yeah it's armour..or a plane ..or a car ..my options are open  ;D
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

Landing gear fitted, minus the wheels.

Working on the bombs.

Not too long, now! ;)

Mind you, the painting of the bombs & their markings is no simple matter, as almost everything is in fractions of a millimetre! :o  :banghead:

Vulcan7

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 22, 2023, 03:03:46 AMNot too long, now! ;)

Can't wait  :thumbsup:  ....Although I am going to have to Build an Avro Manchester myself now..... Avro was just down the road from where I grew up as a kid in Greater Manchester  ;D   They used to have great airshows...I've got an old Airshow programme I must scan in & post at some point.
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

kitbasher

Quote from: Vostoc7 on April 22, 2023, 09:01:53 AM

Can't wait  :thumbsup:  ....Although I am going to have to Build an Avro Manchester myself now..... Avro was just down the road from where I grew up as a kid in Greater Manchester  ;D   They used to have great airshows...I've got an old Airshow programme I must scan in & post at some point.

The Woodford shows?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Vulcan7

Quote from: kitbasher on April 22, 2023, 01:32:24 PM

Can't wait  :thumbsup:  ....Although I am going to have to Build an Avro Manchester myself now..... Avro was just down the road from where I grew up as a kid in Greater Manchester  ;D  They used to have great airshows...I've got an old Airshow programme I must scan in & post at some point.

The Woodford shows?

Yes, did you go to any, as well?
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

kitbasher

Quote from: Vostoc7 on April 22, 2023, 01:40:41 PM
Quote from: kitbasher on April 22, 2023, 01:32:24 PM

Can't wait  :thumbsup:  ....Although I am going to have to Build an Avro Manchester myself now..... Avro was just down the road from where I grew up as a kid in Greater Manchester  ;D  They used to have great airshows...I've got an old Airshow programme I must scan in & post at some point.

The Woodford shows?

Yes, did you go to any, as well?

Yep, as a kid in the 70s.  Had my first ever flight there in Piper Aztec!  Found a bunch of programmes a few weeks ago that I'd forgotten about.

Loved the Woodford shows.  Still remember Lightning F.3 noise and vertical climbs, and the USAF F-111 flyby that missed Woodford completely.  I think the passengers at Manchester Airport enjoyed seeing it zoom down the runway there.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Old Wombat

Wardukw

Old Wombat

I'm sitting here quietly freaking out over having to paint sub-0.2mm red lines on all my bombs & various sub-0.5mm lines on a few (which is nice, compared to the other :o ).

Anyway, I fitted the prop's into the nacelles yesterday, to check their fit before gluing them in, & I really have to say that Airfix were extremely intelligent with the construction of the Typhoon IB (Kit #A02041, if you're interested).

First up: The parts that I've put together for both the Winchester build & the paint monkey fit extremely well &, if you intend building it OoB (or just doing a markings/scheme whif), then you should really enjoy building it; but

Secondly (& most importantly): The propeller & shaft fit on a little drum/cylinder-like part which just slips into place without the need for glue, which means that, should you be transporting it to a show or similar, then all you need to do is pull out the cylinder & pack it flat on some foam to avoid having the propeller damaged in transit, then slot it back into place to display it.

That one tiny little detail is a minor stroke of genius! Well done, Airfix! :thumbsup:  :bow:  :wub:  :party:  :cheers:

Old Wombat

OK, having a break while my eyes & hands try to recover from trying to paint 1/144" (1/2" RW in 1/72 scale) lines around the cone-shaped pointy bits of bombs freehand. :o

I will state that I flat-out failed, but not as badly as I thought I would. Will need some touch up work & they're not really in scale but they should be good enough. <_<

I still have more lines to paint (1" RW = 1/72" in scale).

The easiest to do is the 4,000lb HC bomb, it's just a big cylinder of thin mild steel around a lot of explosives. Tape works on that! :thumbsup:

Gondor

What I did when I had to paint a load of bombs was to mask most of the bomb, paint the band forward of that line, then once that was dry paint the bomb colour again leaveing the distance of the band that colour

Hope that makes sense  :-\
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Old Wombat

It makes sense because I tried 2 variants of that & failed miserably before settling for freehand. :-\