Re: Airvell 1/72 Avro Winchester B.I/B.III

Started by Old Wombat, February 14, 2023, 04:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

The very first post in the thread shows it would have more horsepower than the 4 engined Lanc.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

If im going on the early HP of the Lancaster, which is 1460hp Rolls-Royce Merlin 20 or 22s, then that makes a total of 5840hp ..yum  ;D
If it was running Merlin 24s then it would punch out 1640hp per engine ..6560hp..even yummyer  ;D  ;D
So since Guys is making more than that, the Winchester will absolutely haul buttocks  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

Red bands on the SAP 500lb-ers. Haven't removed the masking, yet; will do that tonight after work (gotta let the paint dry a bit more, Humbrol enamel).

Once the masking's off, I'll check out the result & do any touch-ups as necessary.

Phil, I was wrong, the document I was using was from 1952, however, most of the information in it comes from this 1944 document (it is American but it is specifically describing British ordnance);

https://stephentaylorhistorian.files.wordpress.com/2020/02/usnbd-british-bombs-and-pyrotechnics.pdf

It seems light green bands may have been implemented to standardise with the British army's markings on artillery & mortar shells, which used light green bands for all explosive fillings except "lyddite".
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Ahh ..the green band was used to identify live bombs from practice bombs.

All live bombs and rockets carry a 1/2 inch Light Green band below any of the combination, it does NOT replace them

Practice bombs overall White with 1/2 inch Green band.

Lettering on Live bombs is White or Light Grey, and Black on practice bombs.
But since we are dealing with wiffery here ya can use what ever combination ya like and it still won't be wrong ;)
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

In that link above (I think) it mentions that "live" bombs (ie: with fuses fitted) were marked with a 1" x 1/4" band at the base (of the casing), which I'm figuring would definitely have been hand painted on by the armourers.

I think that what we're seeing is that supposedly "standardised" systems were, maybe, not as standardised as, perhaps, they should have been. ;)

Wardukw

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 28, 2023, 09:03:21 AMIn that link above (I think) it mentions that "live" bombs (ie: with fuses fitted) were marked with a 1" x 1/4" band at the base (of the casing), which I'm figuring would definitely have been hand painted on by the armourers.

I think that what we're seeing is that supposedly "standardised" systems were, maybe, not as standardised as, perhaps, they should have been. ;)
Good Sir it seem that your conclusions would be rather on the money ..we've both seen a few descriptions for the same thing and gotten similar or completely different information 😅
So by the look of it which ever way ya go you still correct 👍 😀

Old Wombat

OK, the SAP bands are touched up & are as (not very) good as I'm ever going to get them. They're drying now &, when that's done, I'll do the green bands.

After that will be gloss coat, oil washes, then matt coat & fitting.

Then it'll be adding the last little bits & finishing touches.

Hopefully that will mean I'll be able to take "completed" photo's.

DogfighterZen

Haven't commented on this yet but have been following...  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Old Wombat

Old Wombat

Green bands needed some touch-up work, which is done, & I've put a bit of metallic silver (Humbrol) on the nose for the fuses' striker caps.

Drying now.

Next I'll glue on the racks before gloss coating, then oil wash, etc., etc., etc.

Wardukw

It's always the details matey...always the details.

Old Wombat

Issue #4179: The 500lb bombs are too long for the space they need to fit into! :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

Fix has started but it's late (0230hrs+) & I have to get up early tomorrow (0830hrs+/-30) to get some housework done before I go to the physio, so no progress on that until after dinner, I'm thinking. :rolleyes:

Old Wombat

OK, fix completed on all the 500lb-ers.

All bombs gloss coated & first wash (umber) done - currently drying a bit more before I do wash #2 (black pin wash).

The 500lb-ers are still fighting me! :banghead:  :banghead:

Issues #4180 & #4181 have happened & been dealt with. At least a couple of the bombs look a bit messy but the umber wash has made the worst of it look like rust &/or a bit of superficial bump-&-scrape damage.

Gondor

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 01, 2023, 04:45:31 AMIssues #4180 & #4181 have happened & been dealt with. At least a couple of the bombs look a bit messy but the umber wash has made the worst of it look like rust &/or a bit of superficial bump-&-scrape damage.

Care taken when mounting the bombs might allow you to hide such detail

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Old Wombat

Quote from: Gondor on May 01, 2023, 08:23:49 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on May 01, 2023, 04:45:31 AMIssues #4180 & #4181 have happened & been dealt with. At least a couple of the bombs look a bit messy but the umber wash has made the worst of it look like rust &/or a bit of superficial bump-&-scrape damage.

Care taken when mounting the bombs might allow you to hide such detail

Gondor

This is true ... & it has! ;)

12,000lb of high explosive ordnance loaded & ready to go! ;D

A few shots of matt clear required to fix up a few glue spots (once they're dry) but, other than that, the load-out is finished. Not perfect but good enough for government work!

Almost on the home stretch, now! :thumbsup: