A B-58 but not a B-58 ..Finsh pics up

Started by Wardukw, February 18, 2023, 12:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

I love the finish of lacquer metallics but love spraying paints that I can clean up with water and don't have all the toxicity issues of lacquers. Vallejo seems a decent compromise.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Wardukw

I agree on both ..lacquer gives a beautiful smooth finish but it also eats all the seals on my brush and pretty much buggers it.
Also the price for 2 SMS paints I can get 5 Vallejo paints and the water clean up and no stink..ok the smell doesn't worry me as I don't really have a sense of smell anyway but I do get head aches..water based all the way chaps  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

SMS paint is made here in Victoria.  It's a much smaller business than Vallejo.  Presumably economies of scale  dictate the price differentials.
I like the stuff.  I've mostly used it on model cars so far but did try out the Auscam lacquer set on an Aussie Marines AAVR-7.  Worked well.
They have started doing acrylics but I haven't tried them yet.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Wardukw

That's cool to know Fred..Aussie made  ;D
The thing is price wise there normal lacquer paints are $13nz each for a 30ml bottle..that's 3 times as much as a Tamiya paint pot and Tamiya is $5 to $6 nz here so that's works out pretty damn good .
Their metallics are $17nz each and thats out of my price range when I'm gonna need at least 3 colours for this bird ..I'll get some for sure when I can afford a much much better air brush .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

I've slowly been collecting a selection of colours for future car builds as I can afford them.  The range isn't as wide as Zero Paints but there are some gorgeous shades.
The Johan Chrysler Turbine Car I am building for the Ballarat show will be painted in gold SMS lacquer.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Wardukw

Dude I bet that's gonna look just gorgeous in that colour even tho I hate gold but when done right it looks brilliant.
I'll buy that Vallejo set tomorrow nite and with the PSR not seeming to end with this bloody plane I'll have the paint by the time it's ready ..still haven't reprimed it yet with the entire day it takes for the putty to go bone dry and found another problem today ..tell ya this Tamiya putty is starting to piss me off .

Old Wombat

This is why I have different putties for different roles;

Aves Apoxy Sculpt for the BIG filling jobs
Tamiya putty (white & grey) for the middling fill jobs, and
Perfect Plastic Putty for the teeny-tiny finishing jobs

:thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

If I'd done what I was ment to do right from the get go I would have been sorted..buuuuut nooo.. wally extraordinaire over here was wanting this thing built so the painting could take place to bring this to life..if anything I've gone back 3 steps but I'm getting there gents ;D

Tell ya a bloody good filler for gaps ..it's sands but takes a wee while and sanding it wet  as it gets very hard .
The great thing is you can sand 5 mins after you've used it...extra thin CA and cigarette ash..ok you gotta smoke ..this part helps alot  ;D

kerick

I still use the crazy glue and baking soda combo occasionally. Gets pretty hard over night but if there is a pocket of still liquid ca it gets messy. Some warn against using it but I've never had a problem.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

I've known of that way for yrs and forgotten about it for just as long..memory issues as usual.
With the ash trick I put the glue in first.. extra thin as it soaks up very fast..ash on top ..soaks all the glue in instantly and then rinse and repeat.welll  blow and repeat.
You can fill a huge hole in a very short time and it will be rock hard in less than a hr ..that's how long I leave it for.

kerick

One YouTuber said to use powdered graphite. What a mess! I would only use that outdoors and the baking soda works better anyway.
I think some of these jerks of the almighty internet put out some stuff knowing it's a bad idea and then giggle themselves to sleep.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Graphite!!...CA wouldn't soak into that..it's too hard even as powder...yeah I agree ..it's a dick wack ..doing it for the views and the joke of it ..I do hate posers like that..alot! .
What I hate most about pricks like that is it could ruin a other wise good build for somebody..then that just leads to a whole new kettle of trouble down the line.
If anyone is going to try that ..please don't.

kerick

The ca did mix with the graphite somewhat but the baking soda is much better and much less mess. The graphite was definitely a half baked idea.
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Half baked  ;D ..no baking reference there  ;)  ;D
I think the reason I tried the ash idea was well normally I don't have baking soda as I use self rising flour and baking soda is already in it  and well the ash I always have and it's kinda free  ;)

kerick

I used to have a plastic bad of baking soda on my work bench for a long time. I kept wondering if a cop ever saw it would they think it was cocaine or something. Not that cops come into my house very often. I switched to a plastic pill type bottle a couple years ago. Much better.
Tophe the Wise