A B-58 but not a B-58 ..Finsh pics up

Started by Wardukw, February 18, 2023, 12:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

jcf

Speaking of B-58 oddities, in the F-102 entry of the 1955 book The Jet Aircraft of the World by William Green,
Roy Cross, Norman Blackburn and Ian Huntley it has a little tidbit about the then under development B-58
stating that the XB-58: " ... is to be powered by eight General Electric J79-GE turbojets of 15,000 lbs. thrust
which will be mounted semi-externally in the thin wing.".

:o ;D

Hmm, now how would that beast appear?  :unsure:

Old Wombat

Quote from: jcf on February 21, 2023, 04:17:44 PMSpeaking of B-58 oddities, in the F-102 entry of the 1955 book The Jet Aircraft of the World by William Green,
Roy Cross, Norman Blackburn and Ian Huntley it has a little tidbit about the then under development B-58
stating that the XB-58: " ... is to be powered by eight General Electric J79-GE turbojets of 15,000 lbs. thrust

Something akin to a Concord, I'd think. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

rickshaw

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 21, 2023, 04:25:12 PM
Quote from: jcf on February 21, 2023, 04:17:44 PMSpeaking of B-58 oddities, in the F-102 entry of the 1955 book The Jet Aircraft of the World by William Green,

Something akin to a Concord, I'd think. ;)

More akin to the B-52, I think, with eight engines externally mounted...   :o  :o
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

mexchiwa

Unless I misunderstood - it'll be an F-111 with B-58 landing gear?  That seems like an odd match - the 111 had strong, stout gear and the Hustler had stalky toothpick legs

Wardukw

You understand correctly mate...the problem with using a 1/48th scale landing gear especially those on the 111 is that the back wheels would be around 6 to 7 ft in height and will still look like a 111...and for it to be a closer mutant version to a B-58 I'll need to use B-58 landing gear .
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Wardukw

I was taking a look at the remains of this B-58 I'm using for this build and discovered to my dismay that one of the rear main landing gear struts has gone bye bye so I'm gonna that build 2 brand new ones since I am no where good enough to duplicate the kit part perfectly.
Shouldn't be to annoying to build..twice  :unsure:

I am having thoughts about what Jon mentioned about 4 engines mounted inside the air frame and I'm am liking the idea of 4 afterburners side by side instead of 2 whopping great engines..it would be a bit more accurate to a 50s time line.
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Wardukw

Started to do some figuring out on this beast...I want 4 engines ..side by side inside the fuselage...also looking on how to build the new wing and wonder how it will look with a T tail ..a delta main wing with a T tail might look weird so no decision on that yet ...or maybe a half delta or 3/4 delta with a T tail might work.
Oh some good news..I found the missing rear landing gear strut..so chuffed about that  :thumbsup: .
There's gonna be a heap of hacking and slashing on this ..I will have to rebuild the entire nose for the new cockpit as the 111s is far to wide ..this is gonna get interesting chaps  :wacko:

jcf

Note that the description from the book states eight engines semi-recessed into the wings, not mounted
in the fuselage or nacelles under the fuselage ala Concorde.

;)

Wardukw

Damn Jon I sure forgot that  ;D
8 engines is nuts and shows it either had weak engines...hence the 8 or someone was nuts about power ..which I totally agree with  :wacko:
I'm going with 4 cause that all I have and they will be the original engines on the 58...I'll have 4 afterburners side be side or another idea is in pairs ..still no sure how the layout would look with that layout as I'll have to rebuild the entire rear end of this anyway.
I still trying to figure out how to mount the rear landing gear  :lol:

jcf

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on March 01, 2023, 12:35:26 AMDamn Jon I sure forgot that  ;D
8 engines is nuts and shows it either had weak engines...hence the 8 or someone was nuts about power ..which I totally agree with  :wacko:
I'm going with 4 cause that all I have and they will be the original engines on the 58...I'll have 4 afterburners side be side or another idea is in pairs ..still no sure how the layout would look with that layout as I'll have to rebuild the entire rear end of this anyway.
The description was eight J79 the actual B-58 had four J79.  ;)

Wardukw

Quote from: jcf on March 01, 2023, 01:52:19 PM
Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on March 01, 2023, 12:35:26 AMDamn Jon I sure forgot that  ;D
The description was eight J79 the actual B-58 had four J79.  ;)
Damn that's a heap of horse power there..if I remember correctly which I wouldn't bet on I think the J79 was like 15000lbs thrust with afterburner on ..so times 8 is 120.000lbs thrust...oh mum ma...that's nuts ..freakin love it  ;D

Wardukw

A start has been made ...well I glued the wings together. ..getting them ready for being cut up ...glued the front fuselage sections together...there's not going to be much of this left .
Building the cockpit and since I've kinda buggered the original layout the back seaters area is getting changed a fare but still a crew of 3 ..so least I'm able to keep the crew numbers right .

Wardukw

Well abit more measurements have been taken and ideas have come to mind then I've got to try and figure out just how the hell im going to make those ideas happen.
This all involves the cockpit ..the F-111 is twice as wide as the 72nd B-58 one ..so I've got to shrink this area down and find away to graft the back section of the 111s to the cockpit section of the 58.
I'll sort out something..most importantly it's gotta look cool and clean.

sandiego89

Might end up looking like the TF-102 side by side trainer version (but retaining full weapon system) of the F-102.  Not pretty, but very interesting. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA