A B-58 but not a B-58 ..Finsh pics up

Started by Wardukw, February 18, 2023, 12:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

Plus it looks like the new intakes will work better than the originals!
Isn't the cockpit from a B-58? That's quite a crew!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 08, 2023, 02:49:34 AMLet me get this right, that's a 1/72 scale F-111 cockpit grafted onto a 1/48 scale F-111 nose. Then you glued the 1/48 scale F-111 wings at the half sweep position, and added a VERY long span, narrow chord tailplane in place, and then filled in the gap between the wings and the tailplane?

Yes, there's no doubt about it, your CERTIFIABLE!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Nope.. :lol:
I took a 72nd B-58 cockpit and grafted that into a 48th F-111 nose section .
I the area where the tailplanes did mount has been removed and now covered by the back edge of the wing.
I have to smooth where the wing joins to the fuselage as there is to much of a step and also the tailplanes to as there now going to be mounted behind the cockpit.
The original crew of the B-58 was 3 I think..mine has a crew of 4 ..all in ejecting seats .
The tail is original to the 111 but moved forward about 30 mm ..and as to everything else you wrote..yup on all accounts  :wacko:  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

I would be seriously tempted to use a B-58 style tail just to mess with people. Beginning and the end sort of thing. But then again I would never have thought of this in the first place so just run with it as you like.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Quote from: kerick on March 08, 2023, 10:52:57 AMI would be seriously tempted to use a B-58 style tail just to mess with people. Beginning and the end sort of thing. But then again I would never have thought of this in the first place so just run with it as you like.
Hmmm that's got me thinking now mate..let's see what we can do about the huh ? 👿
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

jcf

I agree on the B-58 vertical tail, it'll give the machine a more '50s look than the F-111's minimalist slab. 

loupgarou

Completely delirious! Congratulations!  :thumbsup:
I still haven't understood where the battleship hull will go. :o
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Wardukw

Quote from: jcf on March 08, 2023, 01:51:46 PMI agree on the B-58 vertical tail, it'll give the machine a more '50s look than the F-111's minimalist slab.

Well that's 2 of you blokes who think the B-58s original tail is the way to go ..im in agreement so that makes 3..consider it done  ;D
Quote from: loupgarou on March 08, 2023, 03:08:35 PMCompletely delirious! Congratulations!  :thumbsup:
I still haven't understood where the battleship hull will go. :o
Oh you will see my friend..you will see  :thumbsup:  ;D

kerick

I'm not sure if you can get away with the 1/72nd scale tail. You might have to "expand" on that...... :rolleyes:
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

Kudos on fitting the noses together that well.  You obviously have a good eye for making the cuts.  Being able to visualise that in 3 dimensions is a real talent.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Wardukw

Quote from: kerick on March 09, 2023, 12:41:49 AMI'm not sure if you can get away with the 1/72nd scale tail. You might have to "expand" on that...... :rolleyes:
Kerick theres no way a 72nd tail is going to work on a 48th scale model like this so the only way is to make one in 48th ..so that's exactly what I've done ..spent a good few hours last night and this morning drawing from the plans for the shape and then modifying the 111s tail to get a very close representation of the B-58s tail.
I then made a new section to increase the height of the tail and spent ages sanding and cutting to get a taper I need ..it's not looking to bad right now.

Quote from: zenrat on March 09, 2023, 02:00:12 AMKudos on fitting the noses together that well.  You obviously have a good eye for making the cuts.  Being able to visualise that in 3 dimensions is a real talent.

Thanks mate  ;D ..it's bloody time consuming I can tell ya that much ..the art of hacking and slashing can be a real pain in the sitting down place and one other thing matey ...putty can make everything look good  ;)

Another update...the ships hull isbin place now..well whats left of it ...the rear landing gear bays are in place and detail work will commerce shortly..ive layed putty on the under side of the wings to begin blending them together .
It will be dry tomorrow so some sanding is going to happen..hour of wet sanding will smooth is all out..
More work over the weekend on this and soon enough it will look much better and more complete.

zenrat

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on March 10, 2023, 12:49:28 AM...putty can make everything look good  ;) ...

Not the way I do it.  I'm getting better now but there are some real horrors in my past...
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Wardukw

Quote from: zenrat on March 10, 2023, 02:13:10 AM
Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on March 10, 2023, 12:49:28 AM...putty can make everything look good  ;) ...

Not the way I do it.  I'm getting better now but there are some real horrors in my past...
I think I had a advantage there ..all the yrs working on real cars and building models got me half bad at sanding but trust me those horrors were there too..im no master at this that's for sure...I still make cockups here and there.

zenrat

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on March 10, 2023, 09:50:08 AM

I think I had a advantage there ..all the yrs working on real cars and building models got me half bad at sanding but trust me those horrors were there too..im no master at this that's for sure...I still make cockups here and there.

Oh crap, did you have to say that?  You've reminded me of my first efforts to use filler on motorbike petrol tanks.  <shudder>
 :angry:
Fred

Wardukw

Quote from: zenrat on March 11, 2023, 04:52:22 AM
Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on March 10, 2023, 09:50:08 AM

Oh crap, did you have to say that?  You've reminded me of my first efforts to use filler on motorbike petrol tanks.  <shudder>
 :angry:
Hahaha..that's brought back memories of my first time using bog...success wasn't guaranteed I think..I know it would've been a dog's dinner but I'm not sure anymore what the first thing was I bogged was anymore. :unsure:

sandiego89

Most impressive- bold build!!
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA