A B-58 but not a B-58 ..Finsh pics up

Started by Wardukw, February 18, 2023, 12:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

I used alumnium foil as NMF finish on a RW 1/72 F-27 umpteen years ago.

It looked ('looks' as I still have it...) wonderful but it was a real PITA to apply. Trying to get the wrinkles out across the entire length of that long wing was not easy, and I had to strip it back off and re-apply it 3-4 times. It may be easier these days as there are more kinds of adhesive available, but back then they recommended just clear varnish.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

The gluing side of things is my main concern there..it's like what do you use ..varnish if to thin dries to damn fast ..wouldn't be glue as that will eat the plastic..again..to much is not good...and like you said..PITA with wrinkles and ya can't just press them out as it will tear and ya have to start again...now I'd love to cover this thing in the self adhesive foil but at $19nz a sheet ..ummm nope.
I'd need like 8 sheets to cover something this big ..that's just not smart ..if I was rich I would ..I ain't so I ain't..yup that makes sense  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

IIRC from the days when I only built model cars and only talked to model car builders then Chocolate bar foil and spray mount (adhesive in a rattle can) is the way to go.  Get munching Phil  ;D
Kitchen foil can also be used (has the advantage of not being purple on one side) but you want to buy the cheapest roll you can find as it'll be thinner than the "good stuff".

This is foiled with BMF (self adhesive foil).  It has aged slightly since I built it (when this picture was taken).  If you do use foil then pay attention to the direction you lay it.  It does have a grain and you will be able to differentiate between pieces with different alignments.  You could of course use this to your advantage.

Supermarine Foxhound Mk1 19 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Why do I keep hearing "Ride of the Valkyries" every time I look at these pictures ?  :angel:  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Snowtrooper

Looks like a natural "missing link" between the B-58 and the B-70. :wub: Following this thread with great interest :thumbsup:

Wardukw

OK this is going to show how annoying this country of mine is when it comes to certain things and spray adhesive is one of those Fred..the only one I've been able to find is Ados F2 here..ive used it many times and it's spiders web as it sprays so no good for this ..hell we can't even get XPS foam here with out being covered with paper.
 ;D  Chris is thing does give ya that impression don't it ..if it was real then I'd love to see this fly ..it would probably sound pretty good I think  <_<

Trooper mate ..welcome to my build..hope ya have a lovely visit  :thumbsup:  :lol:
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

AeroplaneDriver

Oh man this is stunning.  DEFINITELY going to be a Top Gun contender next Whiffie season I'm guessing. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Wardukw

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on March 15, 2023, 01:57:45 PMOh man this is stunning.  DEFINITELY going to be a Top Gun contender next Whiffie season I'm guessing. 
Thanks Nick mate   ;D
Remember tho I ain't painted this thing yet..everything can go to crap from here..here's hoping  :unsure:

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on March 15, 2023, 02:18:16 PM
Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on March 15, 2023, 01:57:45 PMOh man this is stunning.  DEFINITELY going to be a Top Gun contender next Whiffie season I'm guessing. 
Thanks Nick mate   ;D
Remember tho I ain't painted this thing yet..everything can go to crap from here..here's hoping  :unsure:

Unless you spray it down with Cheez Wiz I think it'll be in the running. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Wardukw

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on March 15, 2023, 02:20:03 PM
Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on March 15, 2023, 02:18:16 PM
Thanks Nick mate   ;D

Unless you spray it down with Cheez Wiz I think it'll be in the running. 
Hahahaha..we don't have cheez wiz here bud so that's gonna make life easier  :wacko:
Annoyingly what my minds eye sees is not what happens in the RW..I am going to do my best this time so that don't happen .
Not looking to painting those wheels..dude they be freaking small.

DogfighterZen

Freakin WOW!!!  ;D
You say you're having fun... it shows, mate! That is already looking awesome like that, it doesn't even need paint to deserve a whiffie.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Old Wombat

NMF .... Just remember to get the surface really smooth, don't over-do your panel lines, a good gloss under coat (you can vary some colours here as it shows through), & the usual caveat of "multiple thin layers is best".

Good luck! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

To late Doggy dude..it's black now  ;D ..primered and I'm gonna try something with this .
Instead of engraving new panel lines im going draw em..then spray on and near them and see what happens ..if it fails no biggie..if it works ..well then  ;D

Guy me good mate ..see above  :lol:
That's a fear I've had..to heavy panel lines..so I'm gonna experiment  :wacko:

Old Wombat

Yeah, well, like I've said elsewhere, I'm pretty sure I was Matchbox's Phantom Trench Digger in a previous incarnation. :blink:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 15, 2023, 08:50:57 PMYeah, well, like I've said elsewhere, I'm pretty sure I was Matchbox's Phantom Trench Digger in a previous incarnation. :blink:
I'll be honest and say it took a few minutes for me to get that  ;D
I would say it's very possible we used to work side by side at the same post ..ive made some monster cockups there before..instead of a nice shallow cut it looks like I used a chain saw...this the reason I'm playing with this idea.