A B-58 but not a B-58 ..Finsh pics up

Started by Wardukw, February 18, 2023, 12:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on March 15, 2023, 02:25:27 PM
Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on March 15, 2023, 02:20:03 PM
Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on March 15, 2023, 02:18:16 PM
Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on March 15, 2023, 01:57:45 PMOh man this is stunning.  DEFINITELY going to be a Top Gun contender next Whiffie season I'm guessing. 
Thanks Nick mate   ;D
Remember tho I ain't painted this thing yet..everything can go to crap from here..here's hoping  :unsure:

Unless you spray it down with Cheez Wiz I think it'll be in the running. 
Hahahaha..we don't have cheez wiz here bud so that's gonna make life easier  :wacko:
Annoyingly what my minds eye sees is not what happens in the RW..I am going to do my best this time so that don't happen .
Not looking to painting those wheels..dude they be freaking small.

What is up in NZ?!
No spray cheese? What do you do with the Ritz crackers? Life is strange in the southern hemisphere!
You could paint the tires silver and say they are the same material as the SR-71 tires. Or "paint" them with a fine tip permanent marker.

I wonder what would happen if you sprayed cheese on one of those monstrously huge spiders? Would it stick it to the floor/wall/ceiling? What about silly string? I suppose someone has tried it.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Well I don't know about silly string..I don't ever remember seeing it here but ya never know these days and the only real big spider is the Katapo..has a nasty bite and that's about it..we do have one called the white tail ..umm cause it's got a white tail ..not very big up it can mess some ppl up pretty badly..so I'm told.

No to sliver tryes..this whole plane is gonna be sliver matey ..im even thinking of trying to find another colour for the landing gear just to change some colours on it.
It's gonna be reprimed tomorrow as I did some extra sanding on it..wasn't happy with the finish..it's looking better  finish wise now.

I'm gonna have to scribe the bugger to as my pencil can hardly be seen on the black paint ..just gonna take my time ..not going to rush that and see how it turns out.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on March 15, 2023, 10:39:14 AMOK this is going to show how annoying this country of mine is when it comes to certain things and spray adhesive is one of those Fred..the only one I've been able to find is Ados F2 here..ive used it many times and it's spiders web as it sprays so no good for this...

How about this?

https://www.gordonharris.co.nz/product/26394-scotch-6065-spray-mount-adhesive-290g

Note i've not tried it myself...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Wardukw

Quote from: zenrat on March 16, 2023, 02:01:44 AM
Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on March 15, 2023, 10:39:14 AMOK this is going to show how annoying this country of mine is when it comes to certain things and spray adhesive is one of those Fred..the only one I've been able to find is Ados F2 here..ive used it many times and it's spiders web as it sprays so no good for this...

How about this?

https://www.gordonharris.co.nz/product/26394-scotch-6065-spray-mount-adhesive-290g

Note i've not tried it myself...
Great find Fred but it's no good for metal but I say it's a great find because there's another version of this called
3M Scotch 304g Super 77 Multi Purpose Adhesive...that does glue metal and it seems we can get it here and it other places it's not $36 NZ..down from $45nz... for a can smaller than a can of Coke...ive seen the 77 for under $20..im happy about that mate..bloody glad ya found that  :thumbsup:
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

jcf

Super 77 is overkill, it's a heavy duty contact adhesive with a very aggressive grab. You pretty much need to
have what you're laminating perfectly aligned because once it grabs you're done. It's a poor choice for foil,
well unless, that is you're attaching 1mm+ plate.
:wacko:

A low tack photo-mount adhesive is a far better choice for thin metal foil. However, even though stated
to be a reposition-able adhesive, this really doesn't apply to thin foil. 

Wardukw

Thanks for that Jon ..that's bloody good to know and I'm happy I now do  ;D
So not going to buy any of that ..favors I don't think I'd be doing myself here.
The fun part will be finding the super thin foil ..talked with a friend who used be a hair dresser and she said the foil they used was all colored.. red..blue..purple ..both sides ..here's the funny thing..the cheapest foil we can get from the pound/dollar shops is thicker than the more expensive branded stuff..which is still far to thick..this is NZ after all.

Wardukw

There's going to be a wee break from this for a couple of days ..I was sanding it where the winglits are mounted and I discovered large gaps where the putty hadn't filled the space between the fuselage and winglit.
As im a gold plated dumb arse I was going to glue rod into the gaps to act as extra strength and meat for the winglits to glue to..yup I forgot to do that .
So I reputtyed that and this time I glued the plastic in and it looked great after sanding and then I discovered another issue.
The profile of the winglit and the upper fuselage was great on one side and utter crap on the other..so more PSR took place and I'm waiting for that to dry..I'll sand it tomorrow and reprime it ..then wet sand lightly so it's smooth as slik  ;)

kerick

Yeah, NMF in foil or paint shows up every little thing. PITA!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Quote from: kerick on March 18, 2023, 08:06:41 AMYeah, NMF in foil or paint shows up every little thing. PITA!
Just like high gloss black..the prep work has to be prefect above perfect.
There's a paint scheme for a camo painted B-58 but I don't know about that one for this build.

Rick Lowe

Kitchen foil? Or has that already been mentioned?

Wardukw

Yeah mate it has been ..it's so thick and the panel lines on academys F-111 are so small that foil won't even slip into the gaps without tearing .
I've been slightly tempted to spray it this Mr Hobby super chrome sliver I have but it stuffs up my air brush .

Old Wombat

If you can get SMS paints their metallics are excellent through an airbrush but they are a touch on the expensive side.

They're what I used to paint this:

The slightly lighter shade on the control surfaces & a couple of darker panels near the ends of the wings were achieved with white & black undercoat while the rest was grey.

Colours used were Aluminium, Stainless Steel, Gun Metal & (a thin strip of) Super Silver.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

This probably won't come as no surprise mate but nope..Ive never seen SMS paints here and it's highly unlikely I will .
I honestly don't know why but there has never been a good selection of model paints here and there never will be ..the market here is so small thr hobby shops really can't be bothered..you want anything good it comes from over seas.
We've got a place called Mighty Ape..sells bloody near everything and they sell Vallejo's paints and I came across the Vallejo metallic paints set so I'm gonna buy to tomorrow..hopefully that will be good .

AeroplaneDriver

I've used the Vallejo Metallics for a few years and quite like them.   
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Wardukw

Great stuff Nick  :thumbsup:
Definitely getting some of them then and as for the range of SMS paints I was wrong ..freakin Mighty Ape and a games shop called Vagabond sells em and Guys bang on..they are not cheap and their lacquer ..my air brush is not good enough to spray lacquer paints..that annoys me but there not much I can do about that.