F-106 USAFE/Nordic Command

Started by Geoff, February 21, 2023, 09:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

Basically an F-106 in T.O. 114 SEA scheme based in a NATO Finland with Finn fin flash  :thumbsup:

jcf

Perhaps with a dark blue-grey in place of the tan? 
:mellow:

Geoff

Quote from: jcf on February 21, 2023, 11:15:03 AMPerhaps with a dark blue-grey in place of the tan?
:mellow:

Hmmm that's an idea. Or the 3 tone green?

Mossie

Like this?

You cannot view this attachment.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kerick

I'm going to do that polka pot camo one of these days. Maybe on an A-10!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

perttime

Are you thinking of a Finnish F-106, or somebody else's stationed in country?

If Finnish, why not along the lines of aircraft that Finland used at that time in Real World? "Bare metal" or pretty dull green and brown?

Geoff

Quote from: perttime on February 21, 2023, 11:48:27 PMAre you thinking of a Finnish F-106, or somebody else's stationed in country?

If Finnish, why not along the lines of aircraft that Finland used at that time in Real World? "Bare metal" or pretty dull green and brown?

I am thinking USAF stationed in Finland

kerick

Quote from: Geoff on February 22, 2023, 01:59:21 AM
Quote from: perttime on February 21, 2023, 11:48:27 PMAre you thinking of a Finnish F-106, or somebody else's stationed in country?

That would have gotten the Soviets stirred up!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Pellson

Quote from: kerick on February 27, 2023, 08:21:18 PM

Had the Soviets behaved like any other civilised country, then there wouldn't have been a need in the first place. So, personally, I'm inclined they shouldn't have had a say in this at all. And if Roosevelt and then Truman had stood their ground with somewhat more emphasis, then a USAFE F-106 in Finland could very well have happened. A perfectly eligible idea!

Re camo - either ADC grey or the "Euro One" green/green/bluegrey, I would say. The SEA green/green/tan wouldn't have worked very well over the Finnish landscape, methinks.
Then again - it's whiff! What about an arctic white/blue/dark green? And a bright red radome and the name "Rudolf" below the cockpit?  ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Pellson on February 28, 2023, 02:26:44 AMThen again - it's whiff! What about an arctic white/blue/dark green? And a bright red radome and the name "Rudolf" below the cockpit?  ;)

;D  ;D  ;D  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

Quote from: Pellson on February 28, 2023, 02:26:44 AM

Had the Soviets behaved like any other civilised country, then there wouldn't have been a need in the first place. So, personally, I'm inclined they shouldn't have had a say in this at all. And if Roosevelt and then Truman had stood their ground with somewhat more emphasis, then a USAFE F-106 in Finland could very well have happened. A perfectly eligible idea!

Re camo - either ADC grey or the "Euro One" green/green/bluegrey, I would say. The SEA green/green/tan wouldn't have worked very well over the Finnish landscape, methinks.
Then again - it's whiff! What about an arctic white/blue/dark green? And a bright red radome and the name "Rudolf" below the cockpit?  ;)

The camo would have had to be changed twice a year from green tones to white and back again.  :wacko:
Why were/are the Soviets/Russians so locked in a medieval mindset? And carrying nukes.....
The answer would probably fill a book.
Tophe the Wise

Geoff

Quote from: kerick on February 28, 2023, 02:03:11 PM
Quote from: Pellson on February 28, 2023, 02:26:44 AM

The camo would have had to be changed twice a year from green tones to white and back again.  :wacko:
Why were/are the Soviets/Russians so locked in a medieval mindset? And carrying nukes.....
The answer would probably fill a book.

It's from an old idea Joe Cherrie and I had where there were 3 basic timelines from the battle of Tali ihantala

1, As Real Life a Pyrric victory and a neutral Finland.

2, The Fins collapse and the Soviet 20th Army "liberates" Helsinki. Finland becomes a vassal state, becoming a founding member of the Warsaw Pact in 1955.

3,The Soviet 20th army is routed and Finland fights to the end of WW2 and invites US forces to fly to Tampere to surrender. Comes under Western control post war and is a founder member of NATO. Hence USAF/E NORD (Nordic Command)

Geoff

Quote from: Pellson on February 28, 2023, 02:26:44 AMRe camo - either ADC grey or the "Euro One" green/green/bluegrey, I would say. The SEA green/green/tan wouldn't have worked very well over the Finnish landscape, methinks.

Euro one  :thumbsup:   :wub:

perttime

US mud movers, and such, have certainly used Euro One or similar schemes. What about aircraft meant for more of an air to air role? The F-106 was an interceptor.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Pellson on February 28, 2023, 02:26:44 AMRe camo - either ADC grey or the "Euro One" green/green/bluegrey, I would say. The SEA green/green/tan wouldn't have worked very well over the Finnish landscape, methinks.

Well, German fighters and bombers (I remember Fw 190s and Ju 88s) in the theatre of operations had during WWII sand brown added to their Dunkelgrün/Schwarzgrün livery - as a field mofication and only during summer time.