BAC Nebulous FGR.1 ++FINISHED ++ with additional photos ++

Started by McColm, February 23, 2023, 12:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

This build is based on the Grumman F-111B proposal  of the General Dynamics F-111B .
Originally both concepts had tandem seating for the two crew members.

Six Hughes AIM-54 Phoenix air-to-air missiles were to be carried but due to weight limits the carrier version was cancelled.
Grumman decided not to fit the arrestor hook and tried marketing the F-111B as long-range fighter bomber known as the Top Cat.

As you can see many of the aspects of the General Dynamics TXF slim tandem forward fuselage are kept. I have used the 1/72 Revell Tornado GR.1 grafted to the Revell TXF rear fuselage. Canopy glued in place with the landing gear from a F-14A.
Next to the Avro Golden Arrow F.1

With the cancellation of the BAC TSR.2, the Grumman Top Cat was tested by the British Air Ministry and the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm. The British government at the time signed a leasing agreement for an initial batch of 25 aircraft. These would be fitted with British engines and avionics.
The first five became crew training aircraft,  the second five used for trials testing; high and low bombing, reconnaissance,anti-ship ,reconnaissance, weapons testing and in-flight refuelling.
 Eventually SJMcColm Engineering Ltd after a few palms were greased won the licence to build the BAC Top Cat GR.1A and GR.1B. Export orders for Australia,  South Africa, India, Germany and France soon followed.
Studies into a stretched version with an additional third seat then fourth seat underneath the wing vane sitting side-by-side with downward ejection seats and a double-wheel boggie similar to the BAC TSR.2. As the British V-Bombers had changed to low-level bombing and a replacement for the Vickers Valiant was needed.
30 four-seater Top Cat B.1s would be built with 12 RB.2s.

McColm

Rattle can of white acrylic paint with a hand painted canopy.

Tophe

surprising transformation and nice result! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

McColm

Quote from: zenrat on March 18, 2023, 03:45:54 AMSurely in the UK it would have been re-named Boss Cat?

;D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Cat#United_Kingdom

I was thinking of the cartoon Top Cat, with Benny and Officer Dibble.

Pellson

Very good work indeed, Stephen! Looking forward to see her fully dressed up.  :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

McColm

Quote from: Pellson on March 18, 2023, 03:50:21 AMVery good work indeed, Stephen! Looking forward to see her fully dressed up.  :thumbsup:
I have the decals from the Airfix Victor BR.(S). If they fit. There's a bit of painting to do on the exhaust pipes. I'm hoping to have this finished by next week.

McColm

A slight design change influenced by the Northrop YF-23. Grumman must have been a visionary as the YF-23 wasn't built during the 1960s.

McColm

To avoid any confusion I have changed the name to Nebulous. I can see the RAF using it as a long-range interceptor and reconnaissance platform. In the anti-shipping role and attack aircraft with the provision for carrying nuclear weapons in for strike operations if required. The engines are rated to fly at high altitude at Mach 2.7 and licensed to fly at 50 feet at Mach 1 but avoiding friendly populated areas.
Too heavy for an aircraft carrier and a rival for the F-111A.

McColm

The new stand shows off the paint scheme.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Vulcan7

"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

McColm

Vulcan7

Any chance of some more photos of this one? Do the wings swing?  :mellow:  :mellow:  :mellow:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

kerick

Quote from: Vostoc7 on January 09, 2024, 07:31:39 AMAny chance of some more photos of this one? Do the wings swing?  :mellow:  :mellow:  :mellow:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

What he said!
Nice work!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise