Main Menu

Aegean Defender

Started by NARSES2, February 24, 2023, 03:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

This now has it's main camouflage colours done, so transfers up next  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

The man is a complete tease! ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Rheged

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 15, 2023, 02:13:57 AMThe man is a complete tease! ;)

That he most certainly is! ..........but I'm looking forward to seeing the finished article. 
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 15, 2023, 02:13:57 AMThe man is a complete tease! ;)

Says the guy who built an EXQUISITE twin engined Lancaster and kept us all in suspense during the entire build without any WiP pics!  :o  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 15, 2023, 03:19:33 AM

Says the guy who built an EXQUISITE twin engined Lancaster and kept us all in suspense during the entire build without any WiP pics!  :o  :o

Excuse me but there were WIP pic's, on pages 1, 2, 4, 6, 9, 10, 11 & 13 before the final pic's on pages 19 & 20, so there! :P

There just happened to be a lot of pages with me bitching about build issues in between. ;D

NARSES2

Paintwork complete, transfers on and matt varnished. So just a couple of sticky out bits and the canopy and then all being well she can get photo'd. So next week all being well (this week if you start your week on Sunday  ;) )
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Right she's finished  :thumbsup:  I just need to get the photos sorted which will be tomorrow and then I'll get them posted up.

This is the first model I've finished since I decided to accept the fact that my medical condition(s) mean that I can't build to the standards that I did a few years ago, and that if I wanted to continue with modelling I just had to get on with it and enjoy it. Surprisingly I've actually been able to do that, I thought I'd still get frustrated at some point, and have not only got this finished but have brought a couple of other projects to a "on finals" state and started on another. So at the moment I'm a happy bunny, but a bunny who's got all of his digits crossed  ;D

Old Wombat

Mate, you can only do the best that you can do! :thumbsup:

If it isn't as good as you used to be able to do, so be it! <_<

No-one here will care! ;D  :mellow:

This is why I really should get on with building my collection of 1/350 ships, before I can't! :rolleyes:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 24, 2023, 08:19:40 AMThis is why I really should get on with building my collection of 1/350 ships, before I can't! :rolleyes:

A COLLECTION of them! Strewth, where will you put them afterwards as they'll take up a LOT of space?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 24, 2023, 09:26:25 AMA COLLECTION of them! Strewth, where will you put them afterwards as they'll take up a LOT of space?

Yep, & I have no idea!

Especially as they include;

Trumpeter USS Intrepid CV-11
Trumpeter USS Wasp LHD-1 Amphibious Assault Ship
Bronco USS "Fort Worth" LCS-3 (part built by me)
Trumpeter (I think) Arleigh Bourke class USS The Sullivans
Trumpeter German Cruiser Prinz Eugen 1945 (to be post-war Australian war prize)
Trumpeter HMS Colombo C-class Light Cruiser
Trumpeter HMS Calcutta C-class Light Cruiser
Trumpeter HMS Belfast 1942
Trumpeter HMS Dreadnought 1915
Trumpeter HMS Dreadnought 1907 (to be modified into a carrier conversion ca. 1920/25)
Ozmods HMS/HMAS Vendetta W & V Class Destroyers
Trumpeter HMS Exeter York-class Heavy Cruiser
Plus at least another two HM Cruisers, at least one battleship & a few submarines but I'd have to go out to the shed to know exactly what I've got & it's after 2:00am here, so not right now.

PS: Ozmods Daring class HMAS Vampire (I think, could be Vendetta, too)

mat

Prinz Eugen ended the war in the harbour of Copenhagen, Denmark. On this picture it is under guard of the danish resistance (and a german soldier).

My grandfathers brother was in the resistance (He was a hitman for the underground resistance command, killing danish traitors during the german occupation) and his group took possession of Prinz Eugen in the morning of 6. may 1945. My uncle did not constrain himself to guarding the ship. He also "liberated" a shell from one of the ships main guns, and got it silver plated.

For many years it stood as a decoration in my grandfathers and grandmothers home. In the late 1960s my fathers brother started wondering about the history of this nice piece of interior decoration and under a period of amnesty for private held weapons from WW II, he informed the police about  the shell. The police acted swiftly and this very special souvenir was gone.

You cannot view this attachment.

Old Wombat

My father fought with the Czech resistance from about 1943, when he turned 16.

Prinz Eugen, unfortunately, after surviving two atom bomb tests at Bikini Atoll, ended up sinking due to a leak that went unrepaired because of high radiation contamination.

In my timeline she never goes to Bikini, she gets handed over to the RAN as a token war prize to appease the Australian government. As she had to be towed, because the Americans couldn't keep her engines running after the German engineers went home, the US thought this was a fun White Elephant stunt to pull on the Aussies. The rest of the story (and there is a story) can wait until I build the ship!

By the way, they're German sailors (two of them in the photo), not soldiers, but cool photo & family history, none-the-less. :thumbsup:

The fun question is "Did your grandfather's brother think to have the explosives removed from the shell?" :unsure:

mat

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 25, 2023, 02:53:32 AMThe fun question is "Did your grandfather's brother think to have the explosives removed from the shell?" :unsure:

We'll never know, as the shell was destroyed by the danish army.

PR19_Kit

That's like the true tale of 617 Squadron's display Grand Slam bomb.

They moved by road from a bomb dump in the south of the UK up to Lossiemouth where 617 was based in the early 2000s. After about a month their Weapons Officer took a cursory look at it and found that it was not only full of Torpex, but still had the fuses in place too!!!  :o

Regards
Kit