Which 1/72 F-104?

Started by Leading Observer, February 26, 2023, 12:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leading Observer

Which F-104 kit is considered to be the best? And which one should you steer clear of? All advise welcome
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Pellson

My personal favourite is the Esci/Italeri one. While only good for later Zippers, i.e F-104Gs and Ss, it builds up nicely and the shape feels very much right.

The old Hasegawa/Frog mouldings are outright dreadful, as is the Airfix one. Just don't. The newer Hasegawa is supposed to be OK, but looking at built up models on the web, I still feel the Italian one looks better, in particular over the nose/canopy.

The Revell one is all wrong on the windscreen and nose.

The Heller one is another one, and while looking somewhat ok in comparison to the worst offenders, I still feel it just isn't there. I also have a suspicion it's somewhat out of scale.

...and that's my twopence.  ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Gondor

I personally like the latter Hasegawa kit as seen HERE although it depends on which version you want.
If you want an early aircraft I recommend THESE in the A/C boxings as they have the shorter tail.
But to be honest, both moulds are good although the ESCI/Italeri kit is slightly less detailed and defined than the Hasegawa kit but not by much.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Don't even THINK about the Matchbox one, it may have been an F-104 at some time, but I don't think that version got off Lockheed's drawing board!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

The Heller one is to the wrong scale, it is about 1/70, not 1/72, which makes it a useful kit for Whiffing but not much else.  The Italeri one is a nice shape and about the right scale.  I haven't made any others.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Leading Observer

LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Dizzyfugu

My personal favorite is the ESCI kit, at least when you are looking for a single-seater/F-104G, as an Italeri or Revell re-boxing with updated (engraved instead of raised) panel lines. The Hasegawa kit is also not bad, but tends to be heavily overpriced. I personally like the Heller kit, two, as it offers parts for both a single- and two-seater, the Academy kit is IMHO rubbish and the Matchbox kits are ...Matchbox kits.  ;)

zenrat

Academy Starfighters are good for whiffing if they are cheap enough.  I wouldn't use one to build a Starfighter though.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

McColm

If you do choose the Matchbox kit and attach it to a fireworks rocket it does last a lot longer due to the thickness of the plastic but there's not much left after the third launch  ;D

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: zenrat on February 27, 2023, 01:41:44 AMAcademy Starfighters are good for whiffing if they are cheap enough.  I wouldn't use one to build a Starfighter though.

Good description!  ;D

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on February 27, 2023, 01:41:44 AMAcademy Starfighters are good for whiffing if they are cheap enough.  I wouldn't use one to build a Starfighter though.

Exactly what I said about the M'box kit in an intended Scale Models magazine review, but they wouldn't print it so I Whiffed it instead, and that was my first ever Whiff model.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Sometimes rubbish kits are useful,...... as a source of decals that you can't get elsewhere!

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

sandiego89

Happy with the 1980s era Esci 1/72 F-104C.  Made two of them as parasite fighters for my GRB-52E mothership. 

Good detail, nice panels, fit well.  Likely not as detailed as later kits, but perfectly acceptable to me. Excuse the dust and wear.

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kerick

Just don't get the old Hasegawa 1/72nd kit. It's only good for whiffing something that doesn't look like a Starfighter.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kerick on February 27, 2023, 09:21:00 PMJust don't get the old Hasegawa 1/72nd kit. It's only good for whiffing something that doesn't look like a Starfighter.

Too right, that canopy is wide enough for a side-by-side two seater!  :o

Regards
Kit